We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Favorite iPhone Apps for Italy Travel

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
texas
Level Contributor
77 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Favorite iPhone Apps for Italy Travel

What have you found to be your most helpful or favorite iPhone apps for traveling in Italy? We will be in Rome and the Amalfi Coast in May.

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
59 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Favorite iPhone Apps for Italy Travel

there was a thread on this recently if you use the search tool.

but personally, I really like Rome2Go because you can use it without having your iphone connected to service or wifi. Has a map that you can search (by street) and some other do-dads.

No. California
Level Contributor
312 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Favorite iPhone Apps for Italy Travel

I assume you are aware that if you use roaming with your iphone it can be very expensive. It is best to have it turned off and only use wifi when at hotels. We stayed at 9 different hotels and all had wifi. Some charged, but usually not much. Most had it in the rooms, but a few only had access in their lobbies. We just did all our e-mailing, research ect. at night or in the morning before leaving for the day.

As for the apps, I had one for each city for sights, ect. plus one for conversions and also one for the weather in each city. Also had a couple for language but found that a book I had was more useful.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
304 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Favorite iPhone Apps for Italy Travel

I like the CityScouter apps. They have the train and tram lines included in the map section - very handy for planning.

Cleveland
Level Contributor
133 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Favorite iPhone Apps for Italy Travel

We will be using rome2go app in Rome next week. Where can I find information on how to use? Read somewhere that you can enter start point and destination and it will tell what bus line to use. Is that true? We will likely have to use public transportation every day for a week and would love to be able to have this app for help.

Virginia
Level Contributor
2,033 posts
390 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Favorite iPhone Apps for Italy Travel

tripadvisor.com/…31546713

Brookfield...
Level Contributor
1,266 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Favorite iPhone Apps for Italy Travel

I really liked Rick Steves Ancient Rome tour and Rome2Go. Both were very easy to read and use on an iPhone. There are others that have too much info and are harder to use with a small screen.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Favorite iPhone Apps for Italy Travel

For a good food guide app. in Rome, I'd recommend Katie Parla's food guide. http://www.parlafood.com/mobile-apps/

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
44 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Favorite iPhone Apps for Italy Travel

Regarding the Rome2Go app, does the GPS locator work without roaming or being connected to wifi? If so, that's awesome!

Chennai (Madras...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Favorite iPhone Apps for Italy Travel

Hi - what did you end up using? we are doing a 2-week italy trip very shortly

texas
Level Contributor
77 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Favorite iPhone Apps for Italy Travel

I found it very hard to used the iPhone on a regular basis in Rome because it was often impossible to get a 3G signal. The way Rome is built with tall buildings and narrow streets, I was often in a "valley" and unable to get a 3G signal. And wifi is almost impossible to find without a local phone number. Also, the GPS was often unusable because we couldn't get a satellite signal unless we were in a wide open space. The GPS was great outside of Rome, but not much use in the city.