We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant Reservations On-line

Virginia
Level Contributor
2,035 posts
491 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurant Reservations On-line

Greetings.

Here in the US, I use open-table to make dinner reservations when in big cities. It's fast and easy to make dinner reservations. I saw in the Paris forum people talking about The Fork, a website which works for booking restaurants all across France. It seems it also gives dining discounts too.

thefork.com/1_restaurant/Paris_restaurant/1/

Is there anything similar for booking restaurants in Italy? Or something that is Rome, Florence, or Venice specific to make dinner reservations?

I'm less concerned with a site offering discounts, but interested in the ability to make dinner reservations a few days or a week ahead online.

Thanks!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
43,620 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant Reservations On-line

I've always just made reservations directly with the restaurant I want to go to - if they have an email address or on-line reservations capability. I've not heard of something like Menupages, but it will be good to find if something like it exists in the Italian cities....though I think we may have read about it already. Hope I'm wrong.

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant Reservations On-line

The closest is Dining City, and it's only for a limited number of restaurants in Rome, Florence and Milan.

Very many restaurants have Web sites, but email reservations are much less used than telephone reservations, unless you're talking about a place like La Pergola, where you have to reserve weeks or months in advance.

Virginia
Level Contributor
2,035 posts
491 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant Reservations On-line

Thanks for the fast reply.

I too like using Menupages for NYC.

How necessary is it to make dinner reservations each night? I know that's hard to answer and differs restaurant to restaurant and location and time of day and time of year... but in general do you think it's necessary to make them when in Rome?

Someone told me once to only worry about reservations on weekends at the normal 8:30 - 9:00 time. Another person told me to expect restaurants to be full every night of the week in busier areas and to always have them. But surely there's times when you don't have a meal planned and just come across a place you'd like to try. :-)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
673 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant Reservations On-line

A call in the afternoon should suffice, Holding a table a week even a day in advance is unheard of at most places.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
43,620 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant Reservations On-line

I rarely make reservations in advance as I just don't know where I want to go usually until the day - but, if I'm walking around and spot a place that looks interesting to me, I'll pop in and make a reservation. But, most of the time, I've had no trouble getting seated where I've wanted to go.

I'm not sure how it will be this month now that it will be cooler and probably rainy and restaurants won't have seats outside if rainy and too cold so that cuts down on available seating. I may reserve in a few of my fave places the day of or the day before. Sometimes via email, other times by phone or just stopping in.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurant Reservations On-line

I never make reservations in Rome; like Momcat, I don't want to decide ahead of time where to eat. If I can't be seated soon at one restaurant, I find another. Rome is full of good restaurants, and unless you have a restaurant you absolutely don't want to miss, it's not necessary to pick one ahead of time.

For groups of more than four people, reservations are advisable, though.

Virginia
Level Contributor
2,035 posts
491 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurant Reservations On-line

Thanks all.

I'm not one who plans out every meal in advance. But I do generally like to do a little research and find a few places I might want to try. It's also handy to know if you'll be in a certain area that there are specific restaurants nearby with excellent reviews and menus that appealed to you. That way if you are nearby - you already know about it.

There's nothing worse then spending a lot of money on a bad meal when a little research reading reviews could have potentially helped avoid it. :-)

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurant Reservations On-line

I've had pretty good luck using my eyes and my nose to find good restaurants. There really aren't that many bad restaurants in Rome. I look around the restaurant to see if there are lots of people waiting for their food; to see if most of the diners look happy or disgruntled; and to see if the plates being brought out look appetizing. Then I check the menu, of course.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
43,620 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurant Reservations On-line

I agree - nearly all the places I revisit are places that I found the same way. Last April, I found a restaurant I'd never even seen before on a side street near the Pantheon, looked at the menu and saw a dish I just had to have; walked in and had one of the best meals I've ever had in Rome.

That place is definitely on my go to list for this month -

In all the times I've been in Rome, I've only had a few meals that I would call just okay and one bad one. I'm still dreaming about last year's octopus carpaccio with pink peppercorns that I had in one restaurant. What a surprise flavor combo that was...yum.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,030 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Restaurant Reservations On-line

MomCat what is the name of that restaurant? Would love to hear your other favourites as well.