We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiring a tour guide for Rome

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
West Hartford...
Level Contributor
215 posts
208 reviews
Save Topic
Hiring a tour guide for Rome

I've contacted several tour operators in Rome. One includes a car & driver, and one includes a car, driver and guide. The former is about 300 euros and the latter is about 500 euros for a day.

I've read a number of favorable reviews of various guides for ROme, but don't have a sense if a "guide" is required in addition to a "driver".

Am I correct in assuming that a "driver" just drives you to the venue and the "guide" accompanies you into the venue?

thanks,

bert

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
30,883 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiring a tour guide for Rome

Yes, a driver will just take you from site to site and may include some kind of information but a guide will go with you into the sites.

You don't really need either but if I had to choose one or the other I would go for the guide without the driver. There are some areas in Rome that are pedestrian only so a driver will not be able to take you into those areas. Rome is also a great city for walking as it's compact and the sites are close together.

Donna

West Hartford...
Level Contributor
215 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiring a tour guide for Rome

Thanks for the response!

If we go with a guide and not a driver, does that mean we use different guides in each place, or hire one guide to take the metro/bus/walk with us to go to each place?

bert

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
30,883 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiring a tour guide for Rome

It depends on what you are seeing. Most guides will do the colosseum area and then do the central part of the city including the pantheon and piazza navona. To get from one area to another is just a matter of walking the 10-15 minutes.

If you are touring the vatican museums and area I would hire a guide for those specific areas and would not combine them with other parts of the city. There is so much to see at the vatican that it usually takes the better part of a day.

Rome is a compact city and getting from site to site is very easy to do on foot. Most people never use public transportation while sight seeing unless they are going from one end of the city to the other, like visiting the vatican in the morning and the colosseum in the afternoon.

Donna

West Hartford...
Level Contributor
215 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hiring a tour guide for Rome

THanks - makes sense. We're going to be staying near the central terminals so it probably doesn't make sense for us to get a driver.

One last question - is it easy to get a guide on the day you need one or should we reserve one in advance?

thanks,

bert

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
30,883 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hiring a tour guide for Rome

If you want a quality guide who will take you where you wish to go then I would do some research before hand and hire someone before getting to Rome.

Donna

Australia
Level Contributor
2,364 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hiring a tour guide for Rome

Hi

I would recommend that you contact Romecabs as I believe they do guided tours as well as transfers. The company/drivers and cars are excellant and go that extra mile. Contact them and let them know what you want to see.

You might look at my recent reply on this forum about getting from the Airport to Rome for my comments on what they did for us.

Janderra

Ambler
Level Contributor
192 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Hiring a tour guide for Rome

Ya i might shop around a bit more as well. Those prices seem a tiny bit high for a private tour.

There are various private tours you can take for under 200 euro. I can't vouch for any yet, but we're taking two private tours with Eternal City for 150 euro each. They're about 4 hours long roughly.

I didn't see when your trip was, but ours is in April, so if it leaves you enough time I'd be happy to report back with how I thought the tours went after we get back.

I

8. Re: Hiring a tour guide for Rome

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:36 am, February 08, 2011
9. Re: Hiring a tour guide for Rome

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 1:35 am, February 20, 2011
10. Re: Hiring a tour guide for Rome

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:39 am, July 30, 2012