We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When in Rome...AVOID Rome Capital Apartments!!!!!!!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
53 posts
112 reviews
Save Topic
When in Rome...AVOID Rome Capital Apartments!!!!!!!

The lowlight to Rome was Rome Capital Apartments (romecapitalapartment@gmail.com, Office ph: 0039 063337309). I made a reservation for the Dante apartment at via Bixio 29, 00185 Roma, for 27th November to 1st December, 2010. Rome Capital Apartments requested my credit card details so that they could deduct the deposit of 96 Euros. One of the conditions was that the difference would be paid to them later on. Once I arrived in Rome, one of their staff informed me that I had already paid the full amount of 336 Euros. I DID NOT authorise this!.

I asked her if there was a tourist office nearby or a shop where I could purchase a map. She said that she did not live in the area & so did not know.

The apartment was APPALLING. The following are just a FEW examples:

* No hot water

* Dirty shower receptacles

* Water not flowing properly out of the taps in the bathroom

* Tap water had deposits in it

* No pillow cases

* Not enough towels or bed sheets were provided

* Mattresses and pillows were dirty

* Radiators not working

* Washing machine broken

I contacted the staff member, David, on a number of occasions to inform him of this. He insisted that the apartment was in good condition. I requested that he send a plumber to fix the fact that there was no hot water. He said that he was unable to send us one and that we would have to wait until Dec 1st. That was our last day and I did not think it was feasible to wait that long so I requested a refund, due to the appalling condition of the apartment. He told me he could not authorise it. He also told me I was creating trouble!

So, when in Rome, AVOID Rome Capital Apartments! Or better still, travel to a third world country. Your money is better spent on local businesses in poor countries than on money hungry sharks in Rome!!!!!!!

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Roma Boutique Hotel
Roma Boutique Hotel
655 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,852 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: When in Rome...AVOID Rome Capital Apartments!!!!!!!

Thanks for the heads up!

As an apartment renter I can honestly say that I appreciate and am sorry about the lowlight (how did you choose this agency?)... but I'm curious, what were the highlights of your trip? Despite the difficulties, would you return to Rome? Was this part of a larger trip?

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
3,384 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: When in Rome...AVOID Rome Capital Apartments!!!!!!!

wow i find that very shocking, I've rented from Rome Capital Apartments several times, have one booked for August, I've never had a problem with them, not one, the places were always spotless and exactly what I ordered and I paid the balance when I arrived,

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Wayne, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,126 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: When in Rome...AVOID Rome Capital Apartments!!!!!!!

…turismoroma.it/community/racconta_la_tua_ro…

Post your experiences in this site...the Official Tourist website for Rome.

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Ireland
Level Contributor
1,921 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: When in Rome...AVOID Rome Capital Apartments!!!!!!!

I have to say, I was very pleased with Rome Capital Apartments the one time I've used them. They did take deposit by credit card, but I paid balance on arrival. When I was met at the apartment, they took me up, showed me how everything worked (AC/cooker/washing machine etc) and I then had to sign a lease type document. I was able to give the apartment a good going over before handing over the balance and found it as described and exceptionally clean

All that is no comfort for you however, I'm sorry you had such a disappointing experience. I hope this was a one off.

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,421 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: When in Rome...AVOID Rome Capital Apartments!!!!!!!

With an agency rental it is possible to have very uneven experiences. It is possible to have a good experience as long as every it working like it is supposed to. You can really tell what an agency is like when there is a glitch that sets of a chain of bad things; how the agency deals with that situation is important because you never know when you might end of being the glitch.

This is why it is good to write reviews/report on visits of apt rental experiences good and bad so that people can make informed decisions. People can decide whether or not to take a chance on a particular place. Because most rentals are paid with cash it is even more important for people to look into previous renter experiences.

Since there was no hot water I would write the agency a letter/email demanding a discount for the lack of hot water/heat ( not really livable without it). They will not respond and then I would pursue getting a the reduction by filing a fraud complaint with the issuing bank of your credit card with it was been less than 90 days since the charge was placed.

There is nothing you can do about the other issues even if you found them appalling except report on them to others.

"I asked her if there was a tourist office nearby or a shop where I could purchase a map. She said that she did not live in the area & so did not know. " Apt rental places do not provide concierge service, and it is up to the renter to find these things out for themselves. This is part of the reson why apt rentals are cheaper than hotels.

"Your money is better spent on local businesses in poor countries than on money hungry sharks in Rome!"

Not all my Italian apt rentals have been what I call successful. Not all the rental agencies in Rome are hungry sharks. I have had a number of great apt rentals in Rome. I have had some great rentals at Rome-Acccomodation.net myself

rome-accommodation.net/apartments-rome.xhtml

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Kansas City...
Level Contributor
342 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: When in Rome...AVOID Rome Capital Apartments!!!!!!!

I also had a bad experience with Rome Capital Apartments this past summer. They emailed me a few days prior to my stay in Rome to inform me that my apartment had been "double booked" so would not be available to me. Not sure if it was the agencies or the individual owner's fault, but considering that I booked months in advance and was only notified a few days prior to my stay, it seems that I was likely the first "booker" and that they got a better offer at the last minute. Or at least that I could have been notified further in advance. Luckily I was checking my email, as I was already traveling at the time. A call on my cell phone would have been appreciated. They offered me other apartments that were more expensive and not as nice, but I ended up booking a hotel at the last minute instead. So far have had great experiences with Roman Reference, Sleep in Italy and Rental in Rome. I know other's have had good experience with Rome Capital Apartments, but I don't think I'll chance it again.

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Italy
Italy
Europe
7. Re: When in Rome...AVOID Rome Capital Apartments!!!!!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 8:35 pm, December 18, 2010
Edited: 8:35 pm, December 18, 2010
St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,421 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: When in Rome...AVOID Rome Capital Apartments!!!!!!!

"They offered me other apartments that were more expensive and not as nice,"

I had a similar thing happen to me at another agency. I thought the least they could do is offer the more expensive apts at the same price you signed a leaser for since it was not your fault.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
53 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: When in Rome...AVOID Rome Capital Apartments!!!!!!!

Thanks for your kind response. This was the first time I had travelled to Europe. Prior to that I had travelled to developing countries eg Vietnam, Peru, India. I did this as having parents from Viet but being fortunate enough to be born in Australia, I felt I had an obligation to contribute to the local economy of poorer countries. But a close friend felt I that I was becoming joyless. So, taking into account, my love of art & fashion, I decided to travel to France & Italy. Best decision I ever made! My friend & I spent 6 days in Paris, followed by 4 days in Venice, 5 days in Florence & 5 days in Rome.

I loved Paris & the lady who owned the apartment in Marais, was very friendly. She had all sorts of guides eg Lonely Planet, Rick Steve, as well as some maps. The Louvre was jaw-dropping & I visited it twice. I also found the people to be extremely warm, helpful & charming.

In Venice, I bought 3 masks for my brother (a collector) from a shop that makes them for films & festivals. The founder was there & we had a long chat. He then gave me a 5Euro discount. My brother & I will continue to keep in touch with this talented gentleman. The only thing that was disconcerting was that, being winter, the sun would set early, so I would get lost in the little alleyways!

In Florence I stayed at Hotel Dali. Marco & his staff are a delight & were extremely helpful. However, I do not recommend the Damien Hirst exhibition at the Palazzo Vecchio. My friend & I paid 10Euro & after walking through the palace & following the arrows to the exhibition, ended up in a dimly lit room. She immediately suspected something. A staff member stopped us from entering the adjoining room & spoke into her walkie talkie. After a few minutes, we were let in. It was a pitch black room & at the centre was Hirsts' diamond encrusted skull in a glass case. We were allowed to look at it for under one minute, then were whisked out the door by another staff member with a walkie talkie. And that was it.

Apart from that, the art galleries were wonderful & I went back to the Pitti Palace twice.

I also enjoyed the sights of Rome eg Colosseum, Roman Forum & Palatine Hill, Pantheon & Trevi Fountain. The Vatican museum was stunning. There is also a street that is lined with couture shops & I was salivating. But I regret I did not have more time in Rome to see more art & couture shops! On my second last day, I walked through a student protest. I was so impressed. Students in Sydney are too laid back to be doing that sort of thing en masse!

I found the Italians to be highly entertaining & amusing, right down to the staff member at Fiumcino airport who was joking around with me. People in Florence & Venice were kind enough to warn me to watch my belongings at the train stations, as well as in Rome. And because I found the people in France & Italy to be so lovely, all it did was highlight the bad customer service from Rome Capital Apartments. I understand that being an apartment, the level of service is not comparable to that of a hotel. But I do expect reasonable service. I have an apartment in Sydney & whenever my tenants have an issue with any aspect of it, I ensure that my real estate agent deals with it immediately.

Would I go back to Rome, given my fabulous experiences in Italy? Probably not. But that is simply because I just wouldn't have time. In the hotels, in the poorer countries I visited, the staff were so friendly & helpful eg in Peru one of the girls gave me chocolate for my birthday & in Vietnam, the staff have bought food for me. I keep in touch with a lot of the staff in these countries & will be doing volunteer work with a couple of them in the future. So I feel my priorities lie with these new found friends.

But taking time restrictions into account, I loved France & Italy, & have come back from these countries even more addicted to art & fashion!

Mentioned in this post
Europe
Europe
World
Caffe Peru'
Caffe Peru'
256 Reviews
Rome, Italy
France
France
Europe
Italy
Italy
Europe
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Hotel Dali
Hotel Dali
697 Reviews
Florence, Italy
Palazzo Vecchio
Palazzo Vecchio
7,841 Reviews
Florence, Italy
Colosseum
Colosseum
125,569 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Roman Forum
Roman Forum
19,830 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Palatine Hill
Palatine Hill
20,601 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Pantheon
Pantheon
66,666 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Trevi Fountain
Trevi Fountain
84,215 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Vatican
Vatican
257 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Italians
Italians
141 Reviews
Chieti, Italy
Ireland
Level Contributor
1,921 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: When in Rome...AVOID Rome Capital Apartments!!!!!!!

I'm glad you came back to tell us about your trip - it seems you had a wonderful time - and seeing the diamond skull in such a setting - marvelous!!

Have you tried contacting RCA since your return? I hope you get some form of refund as no hot water isn't acceptable.