We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How safe is the area between the Colosseum to Piazza Navona?

London, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
How safe is the area between the Colosseum to Piazza Navona?

I am looking at hotels near the area of the Colosseum as I have found a good deal on a place I like.

In the evenings from what I've read it sounds like the area around the Piazza Navona and also around Trastevere is very nice, with many restuarants and cafes. I was wondering how safe it would be to walk back from these places around midnight to my hotel in the streets near the Colosseum? From Navona, it seems about a 20 minute walk.

Are there generally many problems in central Rome at night?

Many thanks for your replies.

Likely To Sell Out
Skip the Line: St Peter’s and Sistine...
23,060 reviews
from $77.00*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: Sistine Chapel Viewing...
531 reviews
from $416.80*
Likely To Sell Out
Ancient Rome and Colosseum Tour...
2,849 reviews
from $125.00*
Skip the Line: Ancient Rome and...
11,647 reviews
from $58.00*
Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: How safe is the area between the Colosseum to Piazza Navona?

Central Rome is safe, but at midnight I'd probably walk through Monti to the Colosseum area rather than taking the direct route down Via dei Fori Imperiali (which would have car traffic but little people traffic). I think it would take closer to 30 than to 20 minutes.

From Trastevere, I'd also take the route through the historic center and Monti.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,238 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How safe is the area between the Colosseum to Piazza Navona?

The latest I've been out is about 10 pm because by then I am ready to pass out from walking all day in Rome. We stayed in the area south of the Colosseum in the Celiko for 10 days in 2006. We were out after dark most nights and we were not harassed (2 women), robbed or hurt. The Celio is very quiet in the evening. not a lot of shops, but enough restaurants, pasticceria, and wine bars.

North of the Colosseum in the Monti Rione, I have stayed twice for periods of 10-11 days. More lively in the evening because there are shops. Again we were not harassed , robbed or hurt. Neither place seemed scarey or spookey after dark either.

In both locations we would eat at about 7 pm (in Feb, March and Dec it is dark already) and then go back to the apt afterwards or sometimes walk around. I like to go up the Sacred way at night and look at the Forum, then climb up Via San Bonaventura

www.slowphotos.com/photo/showphoto.php…

Edited: 8:28 pm, September 19, 2010
London, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How safe is the area between the Colosseum to Piazza Navona?

Thanks for your replies, the hotel I am looking at is on the via dei serpenti.

I was just curious as I'd read somewhere that the area north of termini station was nice but south west of it wasn't as nice or safe so it just made me wonder about what it would be like in the evening. I imagine it might be very quiet and deserted which doesnt sound too comforting.

I was just wondering about how safe it would be around midnight as I'd like to enjoy a late dinner and just walk around Piazza navona area as it seems to be a very entertaining place.

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: How safe is the area between the Colosseum to Piazza Navona?

Via dei Serpenti is in Monti; it's not deserted at night, it's quite lively.

The Termini area that is not quite so nice - although still safe - is further east, east of Santa Maria Maggiore.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
90,151 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How safe is the area between the Colosseum to Piazza Navona?

Basically, all of central Rome is safe. Some parts may be a bit less pleasant, but it would be extremely unusual for a tourist to be attacked. Petty theft in Rome is pickpocketing rather than mugging.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: How safe is the area between the Colosseum to Piazza Navona?

Thanks everyone.

I feel better about staying in via dei serpenti now, I just had no idea if it was a lively or very deserted place in the evenings.

Even if the walk back from Trastevere or Navona was about 20-30 minutes, it would be ok as long as its nice.

Dublin
14 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: How safe is the area between the Colosseum to Piazza Navona?

test

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,238 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How safe is the area between the Colosseum to Piazza Navona?

I stayed near Via Serpenti on one Rome visit. Yellow flag with an arrrow on this map

maps.google.com/maps/ms…

As Zerlina mentioned, Via Serpenti is not deserted at night.

This picture in this apt review was taken one street over from Via Serpenti on Via Boschetto during the day.

www.slowtrav.com/italy/vr/review.asp?n=3191

Boston...
Level Contributor
120 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How safe is the area between the Colosseum to Piazza Navona?

I stayed on the via dei serpenti a couple of months ago and it was great! it always felt lively and safe. We walked at night, even past midnight, with no worries. The street itself has some bars and restaurants and a small plaza that were always full of people.

Boston...
Level Contributor
120 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How safe is the area between the Colosseum to Piazza Navona?

I stayed on the via dei serpenti a couple of months ago and it was great! it always felt lively and safe. We walked at night, even past midnight, with no worries. The street itself has some bars and restaurants and a small plaza that were always full of people.