We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Low Budget Places to Stay in Rome?

Boston
Level Contributor
70 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Low Budget Places to Stay in Rome?

Myself and a friend of mine are planning a trip to London, Italy and France. I need ot research and find places to stay in Italy. Rome, Venice and Florence.

We will need to cut costs and stay in hostels, but I would rather stay in a more upscale hostel (if there is such a thing) or a low cost hotel/B&B.

Any suggestions?

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Italy
Italy
Europe
France
France
Europe
Italy Rome Tour
Italy Rome Tour
552 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Boston
Level Contributor
70 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Low Budget Places to Stay in Rome?

Note:

We have 6 days to spend in each London, Italy and France.

So, I will only be in Italy for 6 days....Will we be able to see Rome, Venice & Florence in that short amount of time? For budget, I am thinking less than $100 a night (US) and hopefully more about $60. Is that even possible? The trip will be fore either March or May 2006.

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Italy
Italy
Europe
France
France
Europe
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Florence
Florence
Hagerstown, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,157 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Low Budget Places to Stay in Rome?

Hi BostonArt,

First of all, I would strongly recommend NOT trying to see Rome, Venice, and Florence in a mere 6 days. You'll spend far too much time packing and unpacking, checking in and out of hotels, sitting and waiting in train stations, etc. Get a good guidebook for Rome and you'll see that this one city has plenty to offer for a 6-day stay to anyone interested in art or history.

You might save a little money if you go in early March, as opposed to May. The heavy tourist season begins around Easter, and only gets worse through the Spring.

You can probably find a room for less than $100/night, even in the historic center. This is especially true if you don't mind sharing a bathroom with other guests. To research hotel options, just go to the "Rome Hotels" link, choose the "Historic Center" area, and confine the search to those within your price range. Also, sort the list by popularity (rather than alphabetically) to see those with the highest ratings by Tripadvisor users. Also notice that there is a separate tab there for B&Bs. The Daphne Inn comes to mind, as one possibility for you.

Good luck!

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Florence
Florence
Bologna, Italy
Level Contributor
29 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Low Budget Places to Stay in Rome?

I also think that 6 days is not enough for those great cities. You'll be running around like a maniac and won't get to take anything in. For Venice I stayed at a great reasonable hotel called Ca'Del Dose, Anna the woman who works there with her husband is a total sweetheart. It's in a great location too. For Rome, I've booked a room at the Residenza Belli for April at a very cheap price but don't know if it's good yet! The hotel is in a fabulous neighborhood called Trastevere but I don't know if you want to stay in the city center. In Florence I once stayed at the Hotel Orto De Medici and got a great deal online but don't know if there are any good deals now...

Best of luck and have a great trip!

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Residenza Belli
Residenza Belli
115 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Trastevere
Trastevere
12,493 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Florence
Florence
Hotel Orto De Medici
Hotel Orto De Medici
2,386 Reviews
Florence, Italy
Boston
Level Contributor
70 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Low Budget Places to Stay in Rome?

Hmm...I was afraid of that. Would it be suggested to stay in Rome as my main Italy trip and then spend a day in Florence? We are in the ealry phases of planning. I really want to see Italy and my friend wants to see London so we are thinking of flying into London then hit France and then Italy. Can this be accomplished in 3 weeks? I assume we would lfy out of London into France and take a train from France to Italy. Then fly home from Italy....

Sound right?

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Italy
Italy
Europe
Florence
Florence
London
London
England, UK
France
France
Europe
Hagerstown, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,157 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Low Budget Places to Stay in Rome?

Sounds like a good plan. But you might want to take the Eurostar train from London to Paris (rather than fly). It's fast, comfy, and cheap.

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Kent, England
Level Contributor
2,981 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Low Budget Places to Stay in Rome?

You'll find London much more expensive than the Italian cities, but you could take advantage of our 2 budget airlines, Ryanair and Easyjet, which both fly to Rome and Venice at very low prices- see their websites. They fly out of london Gatwick and Stansted airports, so there is an additional cost of getting to those but you could still save a lot of cash. Especially if you can book early. I'd stick to Rome only myself, so much to see, its beautiful.

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Boston
Level Contributor
70 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Low Budget Places to Stay in Rome?

Personally, I would like to spend as much time in Rome and France as I could and save England for another time. However, I think my friend really wants to go to London. How many days do you think is enough in each England, France and Italy? When we only have 3 weeks?

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
France
France
Europe
England
England
United Kingdom
London
London
England, UK
Italy
Italy
Europe
Chicago
Level Contributor
2,005 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Low Budget Places to Stay in Rome?

I don't know about England and France, haven't been there yet. But for 6 days in Italy, you can spend that entire time in Rome and not see everything. I would stay in the city I would be flying out of last, if Italy is the last country you are visiting. Rome and Venice are the big 2 cities to see. Florence is only a 1 1/2 hr. trip by train from Rome on the ES (eurostar). Though others would say not to do it as a day trip. 2 days for Venice and 4 for Rome, if your are limited to 6 days.

You are not going to find anything under $100/night in the historic center using the tripadvisor hotel search tab. Anything at that price will be on the outskirts.

Try these websites for looking for a hostel or a low cost hotel/B&B/pensione. And a 1 or 2 star rating doesn't mean it is a bad hotel, just that it doesn't have the amenities a 3 or 4 star would have. You can definitely find something under $100/night, you'll have to share a shower/bathroom that's in a hallway, however. Private facilities are a little more expensive, not by much.

http://www.eurocheapo.com/default.asp

http://www.hostelseurope.com

http://www.hostels.com/index.php

Mentioned in this post
England
England
United Kingdom
France
France
Europe
Italy
Italy
Europe
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Florence
Florence
Boston
Level Contributor
70 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Low Budget Places to Stay in Rome?

If a hotel is $100 a night for two people, then I guess that is not bad...split 2 ways it is fine for me. This is all so NEW to me I have no clue where to begin. From airfare to London and airfare from Italy, to the trains, hotels and hostels etc. Is there an easy way to do this...what do I need to think about first? I guess book flights first? Any airline suggestions? To top it off, my friend lives in San Diego and I am in Boston so I am not sure where we are going ot fly out of. I would like to make the trip together but not sure what airport is the best..

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Italy
Italy
Europe
NYC
Level Contributor
1,518 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Low Budget Places to Stay in Rome?

Hi BostonArt

In addition to checking websites, you may want to pick up a 'Let's Go' and/or 'Fodor's Gold' guide to Italy...I found those guides to be packed w/useful info for the budget traveler (good as a cross reference) when I was embarking on my first trips to Europe.

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Europe
Europe
World