We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chase Debit Card

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Chase Debit Card

Does anyone have a Chase bank account and used your debit card at a cash machine?? I am going to Rome and Paris and London and I'm wondering how much all the fees will amount to. Would it be cheaper to come to Europe with cash and exchange dollars for euros/pounds, or use cash machines and get charged these fees?

I also have a CapOne credit card that doesn't charge anything, but I don't want to use it to withdraw cash because of the cash advance fees, but I'd like to use this credit card for most purchases. We will be there for 12 days and I'm not sure how much cash I should have with me.

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
London
London
England, UK
Europe
Europe
World
Best Seller
Skip the Line: Vatican Museums, St...
23,974 Reviews
from $72.20*
Likely To Sell Out
Waking Up the Vatican: VIP...
46 Reviews
from $365.90*
Best Seller
Skip the Line: Ancient Rome and...
12,079 Reviews
from $57.00*
ohio
Level Contributor
240 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chase Debit Card

I don't have a Chase debit card, but I did use my debit card just a couple times in Italy.Did you call and ask them what the fees are?? I think my bank charged me a 4% fee for purchases (I accidentally used it ti buy something...it looks alot like my Capitol One card) and an additional transacation fee when I used the ATM. I used my Capitol One CC for many purchases since there were no fees associated with that card. Just call these companies and make sure they know you will be traveiling and using the cards. I think most pepople will tell you it is cheaper to just visit the ATM than to convert cash once in Europe. Have fun!

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Europe
Europe
World
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Chase Debit Card

Thank you! Yeah I got a Capital One card just for this trip and hopefully I will be able to use just it for the most part. I know Chase charges a percentage for a conversion fee and a flat fee for a use of an ATM, but I wasn't sure if the machine itself charges any fees on top of that. I've heard some people say that even with all the bank fees, you still get a better rate at a machine as opposed to a foreign exchange window, so I guess I will stick with that.

Thank yoU!

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Siena, Montalcino
Level Contributor
3,870 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chase Debit Card

Kasia888,

This will give you an idea of bank fees flyerguide.com/wiki/index.php/Credit/Debit/A…

No Italian bank ATM (bancomat) will charge you for using their machine. Coverting dollars to euro will cost you 5% and up. Then there is the safety concern in having all your money in cash.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Chase Debit Card

Thank you!

Brookfield...
Level Contributor
1,300 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chase Debit Card

Look into getting a debit card that accesses a cash management account through a brokerage firm. You can use it for both purchases like a credit card and getting cash at ATM's as a debit card. Most do not charge any fees, whether it be an annual fee, foreign exchange fees on purchases or any ATM fees, especially outside the US. They also use the best daily exchange rates when converting the transaction. In addition, some come with rewards programs that actually let you earn points for all of your transactions. Check with your broker to see what they offer.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
43 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chase Debit Card

I have a Chase ATM card and just returned from Rome. Only fee is 3% for non Chase ATM. Italian banks didn't charge any fee. Rate changed daily, but it seems like 250 Euros was around $325. Chase also sells Euros and I got a small amount before I left to cover first days expenses. You can only withdraw 250 euros a day, so you need to plan. Also make sure you call Chase and let them know dates you will be traveling so they don't put a hold on your account.

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Chase Debit Card

Thanks a lot everyone!

Only 9 more days ;)

8. Re: Chase Debit Card

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:24 am, February 20, 2011