We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to see the Colosseum & the Vatican

Right here!
Level Contributor
166 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Best way to see the Colosseum & the Vatican

Without pre-purchased tickets, or a Roma Pass, what is the best way to see the Colosseum, Forum and Palantine Hill? Which should I see first? What time of day is better...for shorter queues?

The same with the Vatican, to see the Museums, Sistine Chapel and the Basilica?

Mentioned in this post
Roma Boutique Hotel
Roma Boutique Hotel
651 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Colosseum
Colosseum
120,566 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Vatican
Vatican
244 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Sistine Chapel
Sistine Chapel
16,200 Reviews
Vatican City, Italy
St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,358 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to see the Colosseum & the Vatican

I've always used a Roma Pass at the Colosseum.but I am told that the line fron Tickets is shorter at the Via San Gregorio entrance to the Palatine which sell the combined tickets fot the Palatine and the Colosseum

For the Vatican buy ticket ahead of time online or go after 1 pm. The lines in the morning can be huge. The shortest amount of time that I have waited in the morning and got in was one hour and 40 min.

The Basilica is free and I have only seen a line to get once out of the 5 times that I have been there (not counting the X-ray security station.

Mentioned in this post
Roma Boutique Hotel
Roma Boutique Hotel
651 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Colosseum
Colosseum
120,566 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Vatican
Vatican
244 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
109 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to see the Colosseum & the Vatican

I agree- Pallatine Hill entrance is a good bet.

And I've heard that Monday's are busiest at the Vatican- it certainly was when I was there. Buying tickets online was the best decision I made on the trip.

Mentioned in this post
Vatican
Vatican
244 Reviews
Rome, Italy
London
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to see the Colosseum & the Vatican

I just got back from a 3 day trip to Rome.

Went to Colosseum using the Roma Pass and skipped the lines.

For the Vatican we decided to pre-book the night before and print off the slip using the Hotel's PC.

I really recommend you pre-book as it allows you to skip the VERY long queue!!

Although there is a fee of 4 Euros per ticket, it's definetly worth it when you see the length of the queue for the museum, and in the Rome heat, it'snot very nice.

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Colosseum
Colosseum
120,566 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Roma Boutique Hotel
Roma Boutique Hotel
651 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Vatican
Vatican
244 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Right here!
Level Contributor
166 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to see the Colosseum & the Vatican

Ok...so I will get the combined tickets for the Colosseum, Palantine Hill and Forum at the Palantine Hill entrance. And I will pre-book tickets online for the Vatican. Thanks guys!

Mentioned in this post
Colosseum
Colosseum
120,566 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Vatican
Vatican
244 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way to see the Colosseum & the Vatican

Mhou was lucky to be able to prebook her tickets to the Vatican Museums the day before. They often sell out, especially at peak times. I would book those tickets several weeks ahead.

Mentioned in this post
Vatican Museums
Vatican Museums
31,244 Reviews
Vatican City, Italy
Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
37 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best way to see the Colosseum & the Vatican

We brought the Roma Pass at the Ottaviano Metro for 25 euros each which gave us 3 days of a metro and bus pass and 2 attractions free. The Colosseum, the Forum, and Palatine Hill is considered all of one attraction if seen in the same day. We got to the Colosseum at 9:30and bypassed a very long line of people waiting to buy tickets. After lunch we went to the Forum and bypassed another very long line. The bus and metro pass was very helpful at night when we were visiting the palazzo and fountains. We did a lot of hopping on and off buses and if your not quite sure how to get to the metro by walking from your location the buses always seemed to go by some metro station. The metro is very easy to use with good signs pointed you in the right directions. There was always people around so felt safe even at night..

Edited: 3:33 am, May 31, 2010
Mentioned in this post
Roma Boutique Hotel
Roma Boutique Hotel
651 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Colosseum
Colosseum
120,566 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Palatine Hill
Palatine Hill
19,789 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best way to see the Colosseum & the Vatican

The combination Colosseum/Roman Forum/Palatine Hill ticket is actually good for two *consecutive* days, for one entrance to each site. (However, if you enter the Forum, you can pass internally to the Palatine Hill, and vice versa.) If you use a Roma Pass to enter, the two days must be within the 3-day validity period. That's three calendar days, so if you first use it late in the afternoon, your first day ends at midnight.

Mentioned in this post
Colosseum
Colosseum
120,566 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Roman Forum
Roman Forum
18,697 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Palatine Hill
Palatine Hill
19,789 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Roma Boutique Hotel
Roma Boutique Hotel
651 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Lancaster, PA
Level Contributor
410 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best way to see the Colosseum & the Vatican

I just got back, I would say not to buy a Roma Pass, and to not prebook the Vatican is a huge mistake. You'll walk past a lot a lot of people in line who didnt do so. I had a Vatican 2 PM appt on a friday, i didnt wait one minute line! That said the Vatican was packed with large tour groups. I cant imagine what its like at its worst!

Mentioned in this post
Roma Boutique Hotel
Roma Boutique Hotel
651 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Vatican
Vatican
244 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Right here!
Level Contributor
166 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best way to see the Colosseum & the Vatican

We'll pre-book the tickets for the Vatican...but what about for the Colosseum? The Roma Pass will ensure quick entrance...it will also get us into Castel Sant Angelo for free...also we will be using the bus/metro about 5 times during the trip...will that be worth it?

Mentioned in this post
Vatican
Vatican
244 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Colosseum
Colosseum
120,566 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Roma Boutique Hotel
Roma Boutique Hotel
651 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Castel Sant'Angelo Inn
Castel Sant'Angelo Inn
482 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best way to see the Colosseum & the Vatican

Castel Sant'Angelo costs 5 euros in theory, but there are often temporary exhibits there that raise the price to as much as 10 euros. The Colosseum is 12 euros, and single tickets on bus/metro (including transfers) are 1 euro apiece. I can't find whether there is a temporary exhibit at this time at the Castel Sant'Angelo, but if there is, the Roma Pass will pay off. If not, it will be close.

Mentioned in this post
Castel Sant'Angelo Inn
Castel Sant'Angelo Inn
482 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Colosseum
Colosseum
120,566 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Roma Boutique Hotel
Roma Boutique Hotel
651 Reviews