We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whats the best pass/ticket to have to bypass the lines

Cullman, Alabama
Level Contributor
657 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Whats the best pass/ticket to have to bypass the lines

I have a couple of questions.

I have read about the Roma Pass which i believe gets you into two sights including the Collosseum but we have broader plans which will include The Vatican (Sistine chapel, museums), and of course many sites like Trevi and Spanish steps which need no passes to see. My question is about passes for other sites.

What other major sites Require an admittance fee in Rome and do we need to buy passes in advance for those sites and if so where? Better yet, is there something broader than the Roma pass? And How Do You Bypass Those Lines?

The second thing I need clarification on is Rome Transportation.

I realize many sites are walking distance from each other (Spanish Steps, Trevi, Pantheon.

Excluding Cabs, can someone explain the different options about Transportation in Rome and where all it goes? For instance, I read about an Double Decker Hop on and Hop Off bus. I would think this would be great to just ride around and look at Rome to get oriented. Sounds to me that the main area we will need transportation too is the Vatican nd maybe the collosseum.

Can someone please explain each transportation option (minus cabs, private tours) available in Rome, what they cover/do and where we can get ticketed for them?

Mentioned in this post
Sistine Chapel
Sistine Chapel
15,840 Reviews
Vatican City, Italy
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Spanish Steps
Spanish Steps
18,325 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Pantheon
Pantheon
63,129 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Alnax Limousines Tours
Taxis & Shuttles, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
Pal.Mar
Taxis & Shuttles, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Private Tours
CB Tour Roma
Taxis & Shuttles, City Tours, Private Tours
Rome Airport Transportation
Taxis & Shuttles, Private Tours
pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
37,195 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Whats the best pass/ticket to have to bypass the lines

You can book a tour or entrance ticket to the vatican which will allow you to bypass the line.

…vatican.va/musei/tickets/do…

The romapass will only save you money if you visit 2-3 of the sites covered by the pass and or use the transportation part of the pass. The colosseum combo is part of the pass and you will be able to bypass the lines with the romapass.

You won't have to worry about lines at the other sites or the museums. They are usually very small or non-existent. All museums in Rome will require a fee. The baths of Caracalla require a fee. For a list of pay sites go to romapass.it . Then you can decide if the pass will work for you.

As for transportation, without knowing where you are staying it is hard to say what you might need. Rome is very walkable and you can easily get from one site to another. If you are staying in the termini area you might want to take the metro to the vatican museums but other than that I would suggest walking. If you are staying near the pantheon, the vatican is about a 20 minute walk, so is the colosseum. If you take a bus it might save you 5 minutes but if there's heavy traffic it could take you longer. If you have the romapass you will get to use the metro, trams and buses in Rome for the duration of the pass.

Donna

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Whats the best pass/ticket to have to bypass the lines

Most of that stuff is explained in any half-way decent guidebook.

Otherwise, you might have a read of a very handy bilingual magazine - "Un Ospite a Roma - A guest in Rome" - that's available as a PDF download.

Start here, and click on the picture of its cover:

http://www.unospitearoma.it

Peter

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Cullman, Alabama
Level Contributor
657 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Whats the best pass/ticket to have to bypass the lines

Ah yes, where I am staying. I forgot that part. The Rome Cavalieri which of course is in the Hills of Rome so a Shuttle will be dropping us in the city at one of the Piazza's.

appreciate the kind suggestions. Trying to figure a budget out for all the tickets, roma pass, entrance fees to museums so I can get an idea. For sure want to see the Vatican, Sistine, Museums there and The Collosseum, Pantheon. Not sure which of the museums so I welcome suggestions there (love ceramics/oils/sculptures)

Explain that hop on and hop off bus thing too. Does it run a regular route? Are they all over Rome? is it worth buying a ticket on to just ride around Rome?

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Cantgon, MI
12 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Whats the best pass/ticket to have to bypass the lines

Other museums you might visit include Capitoline Museum at the foot of the Forum, and the Villa Borghese Museum. If you are a fan of sculpture there is no better than Bernini, and the Borghese Museum is the best for Bernini's works. But you need to make a reservation in advance - it is still worth it.

Mentioned in this post
Villa Borghese
Villa Borghese
7,137 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Whats the best pass/ticket to have to bypass the lines

"The hills of Rome" is meaningless as a description of the Cavalieri location; it is on Monte Mario. Generally, when people refer to "the hills of Rome", they mean "the seven hills of Rome", which are all in central Rome.

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
37,195 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Whats the best pass/ticket to have to bypass the lines

The Cavalieri shuttle will drop you off in the Piazza Barberini. It's about a 10 minute walk from the trevi fountain and spanish steps. You can easily walk to the colosseum in less than half an hour passing the trevi fountain on the way.

There is the 110 bus which you will get a 15% discount on if you have the romapass. You can find the route at:

www.trambusopen.com

With the sites you have listed and the museums you might be interested in you should get the romapass. You will be able to use it for the colosseum combo, the 110 bus and the Borghese Gallery. You will also be able to use the transport part of the pass to get from P. Barberini to the vatican museums. You must go through the museums to see the Sistine Chapel. If you decide to get the pass you can book your tickets to the Borghese by using the call me back number on their site:

www.ticketeria.it/quick_reserve-eng.html

Let them know you will be using the pass. You might also want to see the capitolini museums at the base of the forum.. this will also be covered by the romapass.

The 110 bus will give you a really good over view of the city and show you the layout. It might be something to do on your first day.

donna

Mentioned in this post
Piazza Barberini
Piazza Barberini
457 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Sistine Chapel
Sistine Chapel
15,840 Reviews
Vatican City, Italy
7. Re: Whats the best pass/ticket to have to bypass the lines

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:23 am, November 24, 2010