We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
TripAdvisor
Rome
Search

What to wear at the Vatican and St. Peters.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
68 posts
34 reviews
28 helpful votes
What to wear at the Vatican and St. Peters.
Save

Can you wear capris rather than a skirt or dress which covers your knees?

Cochrane, Canada
Level Contributor
173 posts
4 reviews
2 helpful votes
1. Re: What to wear at the Vatican and St. Peters.
Save

Women yes; men no. Men must wear long pants.

Ravenna, Italy
Level Contributor
9,377 posts
25 reviews
46 helpful votes
2. Re: What to wear at the Vatican and St. Peters.
Save

The rule is that women must have their arms covered and also their knees. Wearing a skirt or trousers will fill that requirement. A blouse or a sweater can be worn on the top or if it is hot you can wear a spaghetti strap top and cover yourself with a scarf. The top of your arms must be covered.

Men are expected to wear long trousers and a top with some sort of a sleeve. Do not wear a tee shirt with any offensive writing on it...and take off the baseball cap before entering St Peter's.

Toronto
Level Contributor
516 posts
262 reviews
105 helpful votes
3. Re: What to wear at the Vatican and St. Peters.
Save

really. Men can't wear Capris? That's disappointing, I'm going to roast.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
45 posts
1 review
4 helpful votes
4. Re: What to wear at the Vatican and St. Peters.
Save

unfortunately it is true...and does not make sense. I have seen mini skirts allowed, and men with long walking shorts covering their knees turned down. I would go prepared because that is last thing you would want after standing in line.

I think that one pair of those zip-off pants, where you can detach the lower part of the legs and turn them into shorts, would be perfect! something like this http://www.rei.com/product/794409

Ravenna, Italy
Level Contributor
9,377 posts
25 reviews
46 helpful votes
5. Re: What to wear at the Vatican and St. Peters.
Save

You can buy paper pants at any of the junk shops around the Vatican area.

igk
toronto
10 posts
6. Re: What to wear at the Vatican and St. Peters.
Save

I was just there today. Saw many women with tank tops and shoulders exposed (and ample cleavage). Also saw a few men with long shorts on. Some women had skirts ending above the knees.

So much to see. we spent too much time in the beginning that we were tired near the end and rushed to get through.

St Peter's is beautiful!

Ravenna, Italy
Level Contributor
9,377 posts
25 reviews
46 helpful votes
7. Re: What to wear at the Vatican and St. Peters.
Save

People are sometimes confused. There is the Vatican Museum and then there is St Peters. I do not think there is a dress code for the museum but as long as I have been in italy there has always been a dress code at St Peter's. Maybe things have changed this year?

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
45,897 posts
19 reviews
120 helpful votes
8. Re: What to wear at the Vatican and St. Peters.
Save

I think you're right Agatha, some people say "the Vatican" and mean the vatican museums where there is no strict dress code.

The "vatican" consists of museums, gardens, the basilica and a whole lot more. Most people go to see the Sisitine Chapel which you can only get to by going through the museums. If you are going to the basilica, the church, you must adhere to a strict dress code. Shoulders and knees covered by both men and women. The guards insist that men wear pants. Women can wear skirts, capris or even long shorts as long as they cover the knee. Sometimes people get through who are not dressed appropriately but most of the time those folks are turned away.

I always suggest for men the pants with the zip-off legs. You can wear them as shorts while outside and put the legs on when visiting churches. It's an easy way to be respectful and comfortable at the same time.

Donna

Leeds
12 posts
9. Re: What to wear at the Vatican and St. Peters.
Save

i went last year and wore shorts to the knee and a t-shirt......i had no problems at all getting in.

Treasure Coast of...
Destination Expert
for Ronda
Level Contributor
11,790 posts
41 reviews
7 helpful votes
10. Re: What to wear at the Vatican and St. Peters.
Save

I wear shorts 24/7, but take a NICE pair of sweats with you and put them on when you go in, and take them off when you are done, thats what l did, had no problems. Good luck and have fun