We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are there lifts (elevators) in Il Vittoriano?

waterlooville uk
Level Contributor
1,889 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
Are there lifts (elevators) in Il Vittoriano?

I've read about the fancy glass lift that takes you up to the very top, from the terrace, but are there lifts up from street level to the terrace?

If not is there a way to get to the terrace without too many steps. Did I read there are 196 inside the building? Sadly I couldn't do that theses days. ( knees and asthma!)

Thankyou for your suggestions.

Likely To Sell Out
Skip the Line: St Peter’s and Sistine...
22,972 reviews
from $75.90*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: Sistine Chapel Viewing...
529 reviews
from $410.40*
Likely To Sell Out
Ancient Rome and Colosseum Tour...
2,818 reviews
from $123.10*
Special Offer
Skip the Line: Ancient Rome and...
11,607 reviews
from $57.10*
$63.40
Southend-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
1,603 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Are there lifts (elevators) in Il Vittoriano?

If you are going to be in Piazza Campidoglio at any time I suggest you combine a trip to the Vittoriano because you can get in via "the back door". There are some stairs involved, but not as many as going in at the front. With the Capitoline Museum on either side, walk towards the left hand corner. Opposite the statue of the she-wolf is a flight of stairs. At the top go through the gated portico and through the door marked No. 13. Just keeping going and shortly you will arrive at the back of the Vittoriano. There is a very reasonably priced cafe here - you will also see the glass elevator you mention just behind the cafe. If you wanted to visit the Church of Santa Maria in Aracoeli and didn't want to climb the very long flight of stairs in front, instead of going right up to the gated portico, turn left halfway up and there is the back door for this church.

waterlooville uk
Level Contributor
1,889 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Are there lifts (elevators) in Il Vittoriano?

Thankyou Chris - sounds much easier. I'll give that a go.

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
910 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Are there lifts (elevators) in Il Vittoriano?

Thank god for back doors :)

I have to check this cafe' out one of these days.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Are there lifts (elevators) in Il Vittoriano?

The question is, how do you get to Piazza del Campidoglio without going up steps? There may be a way, but I've always gone up quite a few steps, or a steep incline, to get to it.

Southend-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
1,603 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Are there lifts (elevators) in Il Vittoriano?

Good point! But I think the steps up to Campidoglio are quite gradual and are certainly not so steep as those to Aracoeli.

When-in-Rome, I love the cafe - it's one of those where you can buy at the bar and sit where you like without extra charge. It also has a sliding roof, so if sunny it's open and bad weather it's closed.

Here's a picture I took from the elevator - you can clearly see the sliding roof

…google.com/hey.chris49/…5456707345686294866

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
910 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Are there lifts (elevators) in Il Vittoriano?

Looks lovely! My goal is to get there by the end of the month and check it out!

Waterbury...
Level Contributor
728 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Are there lifts (elevators) in Il Vittoriano?

We will definitely be checking this out when we go in September. I've been to Rome 8 times, and until joining this forum never knew that the elevator and cafe were there. Seems there's always something new to discover in Rome.

8. Re: Are there lifts (elevators) in Il Vittoriano?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, November 06, 2010