We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sitbus From FCO?

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
California
Level Contributor
123 posts
Save Topic
Sitbus From FCO?

Does the Sitbus serve FCO? When I go to Slow-travel, it links you to the ADR (airport website), which in turn indicates that only ATAC and Cotral serves Rome from FCO, but I recall a poster saying that a bus named Sitbus goes to P. Covour. If so, where do I go to purchase tickets, with respect to Terminal C – International arrival gates/arrival hall? I have used, in past years, the SITA (blue buses) that serves the Amalfi Coast, but I do not know that this is the same transportation organization as Sitbus.

Can someone please clarify this for me? Grazie.

Lori

rome
Level Contributor
2,121 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Sitbus From FCO?

sitbus does serve FCO and we constantly use it because it is the most convenient way for us (live very close to piazza Cavour). You buy the tickets on the bus (8 euro one way, 15 if you buy return ticket at the same time).

Here is the site: http://www.sitbusshuttle.it/

Level Contributor
15 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sitbus From FCO?

Bless your heart, wine_gal!!! I have been worrying myself silly about taking the Sitbus and have been finding conflicting information. We will be in Rome 01 to 04 May and have rented an apartment on V. Luigi Calamatta, which looks to be right around the corner from the Piazza Cavour Sitbus stop. I have e-mailed some questions to Sitbus but have received no reply. We, two adults, will have three 24" rolling suitcases and two small backpacks (coming off a 26 day cruise). We are looking at taking the 09:05 am Sitbus from FCO to Piazza Cavour 01 May and the 06:15 am from Piazza Cavour to FCO 04 May.

You have already answered my first question, whether we can purchase tickets on board. Yes! Yay!!!

2. Assuming we can roll our suitcases the couple blocks to the Sitbus stop, and I think we are capable of that, will we have a problem with taking that much luggage?

3. Do we need a reservation?

4. Does the Sitbus usually run on time?

5. Is there any possibility the bus could already be full by the time it reaches Piazza Cavour going to FCO very early morning?

Many thanks to wine_gal and/or anybody else who can answer my questions. We have to leave for the cruise in two weeks, and it will be a load off my mind if I can get the Rome airport transfers squared away before we depart.

rome
Level Contributor
2,121 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Sitbus From FCO?

juju, no worries!

Your appt is around the corner from me!

I can imagine emailing sitbus wouldn't yield any answers, as I think they just use an online translator for their site and don't speak any foreign languages! In Italy, everything is done via telephone calls, not emails, lol!

But here are your answers:

2. you can roll your suitcases, and for the bus it is not a problem (they have a luggage compartment underneath). The bus stop is on theexact other side of the block where your appt. is.

3. no reservations necessary (not possible either, I think)

4. they are very on time, sometimes even painfully so, I would go to the bus stop 10 minutes early just to be sure.

5. it is theoretically possible of course, but I have never had the situation. I don't think it will be at that time.

At FCO, when you get out of the luggage and customs area, follow the pink bus sign - basically, you'll need to go a bit to the right and then exit the building, cross the street and go the higher level street, the bus stop is right there (once you are there, the description will make sense!)

But, just a side note: so you first have a cruise and then will reach Rome by plane, did I get that right?

PS: Just to ease your mind - if anything should go wrong and you don't make it to the bus on your way out, right across the street from the bus stop there is a taxi stand which always has taxis in line. They will get you to the airport for a fixed rate of 40 Euros.

Edited: 3:20 am, March 19, 2010
Level Contributor
15 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sitbus From FCO?

Thank you so much, wine_gal.

You have answered a question I forgot to ask - if the bus ever runs early! Good to know. We will be there at 6 a.m. then for the 6:15 bus, just to be sure.

And the taxi stand across the street is good to know as well. We have a backup plan just in case anything goes wrong. I expect that if we couldn't get our luggage to the shuttle stop, we could even send one of us on foot to the taxi stand to bring a taxi to the apartment.

And you spotted the hole in my question! Our cruise ends at Civitavecchia, and then we have one night in a hotel in Rome included in our package deal. I just found out the hotel is at the airport, the Hilton Garden Inn. The Hilton has an airport shuttle. So we won't be coming out of the airport terminal but from the Hilton hotel. I was thinking perhaps the hotel shuttle could take us to the Sitbus stop at FCO. Do you think most hotel shuttle drivers would know where it is? Or could figure it out if I bring the tiny map from the Sitbus website?

I would like to take the Sitbus into Rome, so I will know exactly where it stops four days later.

Again, thank you for your help. I feel much more at ease and can worry about other things.

rome
Level Contributor
2,121 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Sitbus From FCO?

I just checked on the Hilton page - their shuttle will leave you exactly at the same place at the sitbus stop!

Level Contributor
15 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sitbus From FCO?

That is just unbelievably lucky! Thanks so much, wine_gal! See you in the neighborhood in about six weeks.

Boston
Level Contributor
41 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sitbus From FCO?

I will be arriving into FCO and our apartment is in Trastevere. I couldn't tell from the map whether we should take the SITbus to Piazza C. or to Termini....

Any suggestions?

Also any suggestions on what to do the morning/early afternoon we arrive before we can check in? We're not bringing a lot of luggage but will need to roll our carry ons around...

Thanks!

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Sitbus From FCO?

If your apartment is in Trastevere, take the FR1 (not the leonardo Express) to Roma Trastevere for 5.50 Euro and the No. 8 tram from there for 1 Euro.

If you can't check in until later, there are cafes where you can sit outside, relax and people watch.

Level Contributor
15 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sitbus From FCO?

Kate, our apartment owner is letting us in to drop off luggage at 10:30 am. Have you asked about the possibility of your owner letting you do something like that?

wine_gal, a bit off topic, but looks like you might be back to this thread anyway. Can you tell me where there is a grocery store close to Via L. Calamatta? Thanks!

rome
Level Contributor
2,121 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Sitbus From FCO?

yes, a bit off topic and thus harder to find others who might search similar things, but here is your answer: There is a coop on Piazza Adrian and another supermarket on Via Tacito, almost on the corner of Piazza Cavour. These are the two closest little supermarkets.