We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 full days in Rome

SG
Level Contributor
50 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
2 full days in Rome

Hello,

I've been reading the forum and you have really great advices. I would like to seek some advice from you and hope you can advise me the most efficient to go about in Rome. Colosseum and the Vatican City are the 2 places that I have included in my list-to-see.

I'm landing on 15th Apr at FCO airport at 1345hours and will be leaving for Paris next morning. Do you suggest I visit the Palatine, Roman Forum and Colosseum on this day?

I will be back to Rome on 29th April at about 1030am and have set aside this day to tour the Vatican City. How much time would you reckon I should tour the city? I'm not really a museum buff but I am more keen to see the church and the architecture.

I will be flying back home on 30th at 2200. So for that day's morning, what do you think I should do in Rome?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,951 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 full days in Rome

The plan looks reasonable. Ancient Rome one day, Christian Rome or parts thereof, the other.

Enter the Forum by the Forum Imperali gate to avoid lines. From there you can tour the Forum, Palatine Hill and Colosseum on the one ticket. It closes at 7.15pm at that time.

Visiting St Peters is free and it is open all days. No problem with a Thursday. You go through security (and dress) screening and can then wander about the basilica as much as you wish, even climb the dome. You can visit the basilica and piazza for free, and for a fee, the Museums and Sistine Chapel, and the necropolis under St Peters (the Scavi tour). That is all that is allowed. If you do not want to do the museums then you might spend maybe an hour and a half at the basilica and piazza. The Scavi MUST be booked in advance and takes about an hour and a half. The museums and Sistine chapel take several hours and should be booked in advance to avoid a queue.

Nearby is the Castel sant Angelo and the Ponte sant Angelo, worth a visit. Or you could visit other churches in Rome. Check out a guide book for places you might enjoy. There is some fabulous ecclesiastical architecture in Rome, including the Pamtheon (ancient Roman, now a church) which is my favourite building so far anywhere.

Pantheon, Trevi Fountain and Piazza Navona are all close to each other and wonderful at night, though the Pantheon closes at 6.30pm.

Edited: 6:03 am, February 24, 2010
Roma
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
13,844 posts
732 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 full days in Rome

If you are not fond of museums on the 29th you could visit just the church St. Peter. It is a huge monument, very impressive and full of masterpieces, but it is possible to visit it in relatively short time and the entrance is free. I don't suggest to visit the Vatican Museums. The price is very high (15 euros), the queues are enormous and arriving at 10.30 you wouldn't have so much time. Many people think every person arriving in Rome has compulsorily to visit the Vatican Museum and the Sistine Chapel: I really don't think so. The visit is expensive, tiring, and it makes spend a lot of time (and you have not a lot of time). Rome is full of things to see and you have not to force to do something you are not fond of.

The other day you could turn in the central area around Via del Corso, where you can find lots of monumental squares (Piazza Navona, Piazza di Spagna, Piazza del Popolo, Piazza Venezia), the Pantheon, the Trevi Fountain, churches like Sant'Ignazio, Sant'Ivo alla Sapienza, Santa Maria Sopra Minerva... and lots of other sights.

SG
Level Contributor
50 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 full days in Rome

Thanks for the replies.

Actually I do want to see Vatican Museum and it probably will be the only museum I will visit in Rome (or anywhere else).I'm hoping to buy the ticket online and enter at 1130am. How much time should I allocate for the museum, Sistine Chapel and St Peter's Church?

As for the Colosseum, Palatine Hills and Forum, will I have time to finish all 3 locations if I start at 4pm?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,951 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 full days in Rome

That should work in both cases, just have some idea of what you want to see, maybe buy or borrow a Dorling Kindersley Rome guide to have a look at what is available in each. Even and old one would do to guide you.

Time to clear the airport and get into Rome has to be factored in. Unfortunately you can wait a long time for checked luggage at FCO on occasions and it is quite unpredictable. Access to the city is E40 in a SPQR taxi, fixed price for the taxi including luggage. Or via trains which might take longer. Or you could book Romecabs for a certain pickup and transfer, E45.

Singapore
Level Contributor
358 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 full days in Rome

I thought I have seen somewhere that entry fee to St. Peter's Basilica is 12euro? and Vatican Museums and the Sistine Chapel is 15euro?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,951 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 full days in Rome

There is NO entry fee for St Peters, though there is a fee to climb the dome. The Vatican Museums cost E15 if you book them online. This is recommended to avoid the lines waiting to buy tickets. If you want to book a Vatican Museum tour the cost is E31.

here is the oficial Vatican website for tickets

mv.vatican.va/3_EN/pages/MV_Home.html

7. Re: 2 full days in Rome

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, August 29, 2010