We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferries from Italy to Greece?

Australia
Level Contributor
73 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Ferries from Italy to Greece?

It was difficult knowing which forum to post this on as it covers two countries, but please bear with me! I will be leaving Rome about the 3rd of June this year, and am going insane trying to figure out (with the help of many TA's) whether I can then somehow manage to visit Greece and the islands. I have almost resolved to give the whole idea away, as I have mobility problems, walking with a stick, and even then being fairly limited because of bad ankles and knees.

So as a last try, would it be easier taking train or bus to Venice, Bari or Brindisi, and taking one of the ferries to Greece? Could I then give Athens a miss? I'm hoping this might be an alternative to a flight from Rome to Athens, hotel for one night, then ferries to Naxos and Santorini, as I am getting tired just trying to imagine all the connections etc. As this is the end of the Europe part of our trip, I could then try to finish up in Santorini and get a flight directly back to the UK.

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Greece
Greece
Europe
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Bari
Bari
Province of Bari, Italy
Brindisi
Brindisi
Province of Brindisi, Italy
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Naxos
Naxos
Cyclades, Greece
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
Europe
Europe
World
Likely To Sell Out
Skip the Line: Vatican Museums, St...
23,582 Reviews
from $74.00*
Skip the Line: Ancient Rome and...
11,879 Reviews
from $58.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: Sistine Chapel Private...
542 Reviews
from $393.70*
Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich, Bali
Level Contributor
13,270 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferries from Italy to Greece?

Never experienced it myself but have also considered it since talking to my mate at work. He regularly every summer drives with his family from Munich to Venice and takes the overnight ferry to Greek Islands. He said it was a very enjoyable trip with the ferries offerring various entertainment to make you feel like you're already on holiday (e.g. bars, restaurants, cinemas) making it feel more like a short cruise than cattle transport.

From your post I am not sure if you are a lone traveller or not. If you have mobility problems and are on your own I would have thought that a plane would be the simplest with you certainly being able to enlist some sort of help at the airport. Messing around on trains with your own luggage might prove difficult. Especially trying to transfer from Train station to ferry terminal and from ferry terminal to your Hotel.

What is your real priority to see/destination in Greece. I have seen some info indicating that Hellenic seaways (last summer at least) had a fast cat service from Iraklion, Crete to Santorini (1h45mins) with some travel companies offering day trips. Maybe it would be easier to find a flight from Italy to Crete. EASYJET were start flights to Santorini this year from Milan but unfortunately doesn't start until July.

Hellenic seaways website wasn't that helpful so for info only

cretetravel.com/To_and_from_Crete/…Catamaran

maybe a post in the greece/crete forum may provide good info

Mentioned in this post
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Greece
Greece
Europe
Crete
Crete
Greece
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
Italy
Italy
Europe
Milan
Milan
Lombardy, Italy
Australia
Level Contributor
73 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferries from Italy to Greece?

Thanks giftzwerg,

That was interesting about your friend taking the venice ferry every year. Did you mean it took him from venice to Crete?

I have a friend with me, and she will only have one small suitcase while i hopefully will just have a back pack. I'm trying one out now! That way I will at least have one hand free.

I know a plane sounds simpler, but I find airports a lot more stressful than train stations, and it was the thought of a few hours on a boat would be more relaxing, as indeed your friend seems to find it.

I guess Santorini is my ultimate goal, though I appreciate from everything I've been told, that it wouldnt be easy for me. My daughter stayed at Kalergis Studios on Naxos last year, right on the beach, and I thought maybe a couple of days there with just a day trip to Santorini would work out ok. That way I get a bus from the ferry to Thira, take in the view and back down again!

But now maybe, Crete to santorini ? As for the ferry from venice, we were leaving Venice as a "maybe" after Rome, so could work out.

I am so confused and tired - arranging the first part of our trip, England/Switzerland/Germany/Italy has been so easy, and I dont want to end up ruining the holiday by trying to do too much.Thanks again, and if you can think of anything at all, please let me know!

perilous.

Mentioned in this post
Crete
Crete
Greece
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
Kalergis Studios
Kalergis Studios
175 Reviews
Naxos, Greece
Naxos
Naxos
Cyclades, Greece
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
England
England
United Kingdom
Germany
Germany
Europe
Italy
Italy
Europe
Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich, Bali
Level Contributor
13,270 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ferries from Italy to Greece?

No. He always went to Corfu I believe using minoan ferries

http://www.minoan.ferries.org/

I only went into Crete mode as I thought you were really interested in Santorini and came across the info on the fast Cat service. Also thought it might be easier to fly from Italy to Crete and get a ferry from there. Just had a look and Aegeanair fly out of Rome and Milan to Crete (Heraklion). e.g. From Rome to Crete on 7 June 74euros single.

www.aegeanair.com

Mentioned in this post
Corfu
Corfu
Ionian Islands, Greece
Crete
Crete
Greece
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
Italy
Italy
Europe
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Milan
Milan
Lombardy, Italy
Heraklion
Heraklion
Crete, Greece
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
95,978 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ferries from Italy to Greece?

There is good information on ferries to (and within) Greece at www.greekferries.gr

Mentioned in this post
Greece
Greece
Europe
Singapore
Level Contributor
1,047 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ferries from Italy to Greece?

I think it'll be better for you to fly from Rome to Athens instead of taking ferry. It's much faster and much more convenient. The journey by ferry will take you about a day with the waiting and the land transfer. You can fly Aegean Air. It's cheap and they still serve meal on board the flight! I took this route myself last year and I'm glad I did.

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Canada
Level Contributor
2,806 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ferries from Italy to Greece?

I did this trip many years ago, but I'm sure there must be some variations of it today. We flew from Italy (Verona) to Athens, explored Athens, then took a ferry from the Piraeus Port to Santorini and Mykonos, then back to Piraeus where we took an overnight ferry to Bari. You could do it in reverse and then fly home from Athens.

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Verona
Verona
Province of Verona, Italy
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
Mykonos
Mykonos
Cyclades, Greece
Bari
Bari
Province of Bari, Italy
7. Re: Ferries from Italy to Greece?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, July 07, 2010