We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is NCL's "Rome And The Vatican" a Good Shore Excursion?

Midwest City...
Level Contributor
135 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Is NCL's "Rome And The Vatican" a Good Shore Excursion?

Will be on W. Med cruise this July. The cruiseship is offering a shore excursion "Rome And The Vatican," and it pretty much looks like my cup of tea.

Anyone been on this?

There is an even pricier excursion called "Exclusive Rome and the Vatican and it is hard to tell what the difference is between the two.

Jacksonville, FL
Destination Expert
for Jacksonville
Level Contributor
5,501 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is NCL's "Rome And The Vatican" a Good Shore Excursion?

I have not specifically been on an NCL excursion, but I can tell you that there are a few very well-respected tour operators in Rome who do the same kind of excursion for a lot less than the ship charges. They also make sure to have you back to Civitavecchia (the cruise port) in plenty of time before the ship departs. One of my favorites is Stefano Costantini of www.stefanorometours.com. Many here on the forum use his company for both transfers and tours. For tons of comments, do a search (right above your original post) on romecabs. That is the name of his transfer company, and for awhile, the tours and transfers were on the same website. I have done many tours with Stefano and we have always found him to be delightful and informative. You can also email him and actually put together your own customized tour - his email is romecabs@yahoo.com. He has very nice temperature-controlled vans and sedans. You can also go to the website www.cruisecritic.com to the 'roll call' area...find your particular cruise and see if anyone would like to share a tour with you. The more people, the less it costs per person.

Enjoy and if you get in touch with Stefano, tell him I sent you!

Vicki Floyd

San Francisco
Level Contributor
25 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is NCL's "Rome And The Vatican" a Good Shore Excursion?

Thanks for the post...I will be on the NCL Jade in March, 2010 and considering using Romecabs. I'm deciding between Romeshuttlelimousine and Romecabs and the latter is winning so far.

Toronto, ONT
Level Contributor
770 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is NCL's "Rome And The Vatican" a Good Shore Excursion?

If you are up to it then all sites described in stefanorometours.com/tours/… can be easily done in DIY trip at the cost of the 9 euro BIRG ticket that combines Civitavecchia - Rome round trip train plus daily use of Rome bus and metro system.

Edited: 5:21 pm, December 01, 2009
4. Re: Is NCL's "Rome And The Vatican" a Good Shore Excursion?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, May 31, 2010