We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pompeii

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dublin, OH USA
Level Contributor
52 posts
109 reviews
Save Topic
Pompeii

We(wife, and 2 children age 11 and 13) are leaving for Italy on Saturday. We have 6 days in Rome. Then I was planning a trip to Pompeii with an overnight in Naples. Then we are going to Florence for 5 nights, before returning to Rome.

I am having second thoughts about the overnight in Naples. Would I be better off just making a day trip of Pompeii? We could go somewhere else like Siena for a day, before heading to Florence.

Thanks in advance.

Hampshire, UK
Level Contributor
101 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pompeii

Pompeii is an easy day trip from Rome providing you can get organised and get going early enough - I think there's a 9:45-ish Eurostar and that will have you in Naples by just after 11, you'll be at Pompeii before 12.

No need to stay overnight in Naples unless you want to, and personally I wouldn't recommend it given your timeframe and family in tow.

If you can build Siena into your itinerary instead go for it - beautiful place (Tuscany beats Naples any day in my book!).

Enjoy!

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
30,850 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pompeii

I would take the 7ish train to get an early start and not spend the night in Naples. You can go to Florence from Naples but it will be at least 3.5 hours. It's very do-able and after a long day exploring the ruins a nice train ride could be just what you are looking for.

Donna

Jacksonville, FL
Destination Expert
for Jacksonville
Level Contributor
5,462 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pompeii

I would definitely agree. I would absolutely not spend the night in Naples, although some people love it. We have never been overly impressed.

I would add a night in Orvieto, which is about 1 hour south of Rome and is a beautiful and delightful town that has easy rail access and you don't need a car. The food is excellent, and your kids may really enjoy Orvieto underground...there are loads of underground excavations from Etruscan times there...

It would then be a fairly easy trip to Florence the next day.

The only downside is that we try never to stay only one night in any given area...too much packing and unpacking and getting settled for so little time...so it's a toss up. It would be pretty easy to find a hotel room. You can find one on www.venere.com and you can choose to cancel a few days beforehand if you need to. Simply find an internet cafe in Rome and cancel your reservation if other plans come up.

If you have 5 nights in Florence, you'll easily have time for a day trip to Siena and (if you like) San Gimignano, both charming, Tuscan hill towns.

Enjoy your trip!

Vicki

NY
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Pompeii

i am going at christsmas time this sounds like a great idea..... Is the Eurostar a train?

Orvieto is north of Rome.. It is great!!!!!!! I did a half day to Assisi by bus once. From Rome and finishing in FLorence. I was solo and managed to get a lift on a tour bus...This is not something I could repeat so how you do this I am not sure except to think..Train from Rome to Assisi, half day visit then train to Florence. We had rented a

place in Chianti and used a car to get around... We drove south to Orvieto and should have left the car there. If you use a car DO NOT DRIVE IN ROMA> UGH

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
906 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pompeii

Indeed very doable as a day trip. This site gives some good suggestions: italofile.com/2008/…

Jacksonville, FL
Destination Expert
for Jacksonville
Level Contributor
5,462 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pompeii

Oops...glad you caught that! Yes, Orvieto is North of Rome...lost my brain for a minute there :)

Dublin, OH USA
Level Contributor
52 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pompeii

Thanks for the info. I had never even read about Orvieto. It looks awesome. It is a direct train, instead of switching trains to Siena, and lloks like a great place to spend a day.

I canceled my Naples Hotel, just waiting for a confirmation. Thanks again.

Jacksonville, FL
Destination Expert
for Jacksonville
Level Contributor
5,462 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pompeii

I think you will definitely enjoy Orvieto. Here is a link to an article written by one of our Rome experts. Although it's written from the perspective of Orvieto as a day trip from Rome, it gives you some great info about the city itself, including some great restaurant suggestions...because of this article we're headed back to Orvieto in October from Rome, where we'll stay the night. We have enjoyed day trips there, but have yet to stay overnight, so we're past due!

Now...go finish packing. Enjoy your trip...you have to be super excited write about now!!!

Vicki

Jacksonville, FL
Destination Expert
for Jacksonville
Level Contributor
5,462 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pompeii

Did I just say, "Write about now"? Good heavens...that's two mistakes from me in just this one thread. Hey, TA - we need an edit function!!!

Jacksonville, FL
Destination Expert
for Jacksonville
Level Contributor
5,462 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pompeii

And I forgot the link...I give up. I'm usually not this scatter-brained.

Here's the link:

roninrome.com/2009/…

Enjoy.