We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rome and.....????

alexa2586
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Topic
Rome and.....????

My husband and I want to go to Rome in August (I know...not the best time but I'm a teacher and its mine only time off) as a sort of "babymoon".

We wanted to spend 3-4 days in Rome and then 3-4 days someplace else. We want romantic, fun, a slower pace than being in a city. However, I don't know where exactly that would be. All of the tours I'm seeing include Rome and another city.

Where can we go that is "countryside-ish" and easy travel from Rome?

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Colosseum Motorcycle Center
Sightseeing Tours, Gear Rentals, Vespa, Scooter & Moped Tours
SPB Tours Mediterranean Rome
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, City Tours, Private Tours
Exclusiveissimo
Sightseeing Tours, Food Tours, City Tours, Private Tours, Shopping Tours
Jacksonville, FL
Destination Expert
for Jacksonville
Level Contributor
5,530 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rome and.....????

Welcome to the Rome Forum! If you want to be sort of 'countryside-ish' you'll likely need a car. Will have you a vehicle? If so, I would recommend one of the Tuscan hill towns, perhaps Siena or Greve in Chianti.

If you won't have a car, consider staying at the B&B il Colle degli Ulivi, which is right outside Rome in a tiny town called Zagarolo. It's right in the middle of an olive grove, and the owners, Ivano and Tehri treat you like family. Ivano will happily take you on a tour through Zagarolo, and also take you to nearly Palestrina and some other easy 'countryside-ish' day trips. If you stay with them, you won't need a car.

There's a train station that Ivano can take you to and you could take a day trip by train to Orvieto, another hill town about an hour or so from Rome. It has a wonderful cathedral and it sits high atop a hill so the views are spectacular. You can also take the train from Zagarolo and spend the day in Florence, if you would enjoy that. Ivano will make sure that you do as much or as little as you want. And their prices are unbelievably reasonable. You can visit their website at www.eyl.it. (EYL stands for Enjoy Your Life...Ivano's motto).

So after your 3 or 4 days in Rome, Zagarolo is only about 30 minutes away, but you'll get treated and pampered and it has a completely different feel, and you won't have the expense of renting a car. The chalet at the B&B is definitely romantic and charming. Ivano will do a cooking lesson with you if you like, and you can also arrange for him to cook a dinner or two for you, or you can eat elsewhere in the town. Their breakfasts are great as well and included in the low price.

If you'd like a copy of my Rome notes, feel free to email me at vickisfloyd@hotmail.com, and I'll reply with the notes attached.

One more thought...if you want something entirely different from Rome, you can always spend 3 or 4 days in Venice, but I would only suggest that if you can fly into Rome and out of Venice, otherwise, it may not be worth the travel time. Venice is about 4 hours (sometimes less) by train from Rome and is about as romantic as you can get, although it's not 'countryside-ish' :).

I hope you have a wonderful trip!

Vicki

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Siena
Siena
Province of Siena, Italy
Greve in Chianti
Greve in Chianti
Province of Florence, Italy
Orvieto
Orvieto
Province of Terni, Italy
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
United States
Level Contributor
9,869 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rome and.....????

I'll second Vicki's recommendation of Zagarolo and Il Colle degli Ulivi. I recently stayed there and here is the link to some pictures of the day trips I took with Ivano and Terhi.

web.mac.com/trishbarrett/Site/Zagarolo_2.html

I also posted a report of some of the places which are easy to tour in the Rome area, including those we when to with Ivano and Terhi.

…tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187791-i22-k2902…

Enjoy your trip.

TAB

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rome and.....????

For something entirely different and far from Rome, I would suggest Abruzzo. It would be ideal if you can rent a car, but even if you can't, there are buses that go there from Rome, and even though it's on the opposite side of Italy, you can get there in a few hours. Someplace in the National Park of Abruzzo would be very pleasant. The high elevation means much cooler temperatures. Getting around by bus would be a bit time-consuming, but you could just relax and take long walks instead of visiting other towns.

We spent a week in August in Pescaserroli once. We stayed in a little inn where the owner prepared meals from her organic garden. Her brother, an ex-park guard, organized free guided mountain hikes. The town organized similar hikes, but I'm not sure if they were free or not. They weren't difficult technically, but you would need good hiking boots and maybe a walking stick. There were lots of other cute little towns in the area, but it would be best to visit those with a car.

Other possibilities: somewhere in Umbria or Le Marche, which get a lot fewer tourists than Tuscany, for the same great scenery, wine, and food.

Somewhere on one of the lakes: Lake Garda, Como, Maggiore, Bracciano. (Bracciano is near Rome and easily reached by bus or train.)

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Italy
Italy
Europe
Umbria
Umbria
Italy
Marche
Marche
Italy
Como
Como
Lake Como, Italy
Bracciano
Bracciano
Province of Rome, Italy
4. Re: Rome and.....????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, January 05, 2010