We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car hire from fiumicino airport, Rome

Oxfordshire
Level Contributor
2 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Car hire from fiumicino airport, Rome

We're heading off to Italy for two weeks and want to hire a care when we arrive in fiumicino airport. We're then driving up to Umbria. All the car hire companies I check out on the internet have absolutely appalling traveller reviews. Does anyone have any positive reviews of a company that has a base at fiumicino airport?

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Umbria
Umbria
Italy
Likely To Sell Out
Vatican Museums Skip the Line Tour...
23,428 Reviews
from $83.10*
Likely To Sell Out
Sistine Chapel VIP Private Viewing...
537 Reviews
from $415.60*
Likely To Sell Out
Rome Colosseum Underground Chambers...
2,918 Reviews
from $124.70*
Special Offer
Ancient Rome and Colosseum Skip the...
11,809 Reviews
from $61.20*
$68.00
virginia
Level Contributor
28 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car hire from fiumicino airport, Rome

Hmm. We used RomeCabs from the airport to our lodging, and I think they operate in other places, and then we also used Rudy's Touring Service (rudy@rome-car-tours.com) for a trip to the Amalfi Coast and Pompeii -- he mentioned working up near Florence a lot. I highly recommend them both. Feel free to contact me directly if you need more info.

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Amalfi Coast
Amalfi Coast
Campania, Italy
Pompeii
Pompeii
Province of Naples, Italy
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Tampa, FL
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car hire from fiumicino airport, Rome

My daughter and I will be in Rome 15July-23July and are interested in a day trip to Umbria and Orvieto. If you are interested in sharing something, please contact us. Thanks! Patricia

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Umbria
Umbria
Italy
Orvieto
Orvieto
Province of Terni, Italy
Ohio
Level Contributor
1,557 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car hire from fiumicino airport, Rome

I think you need to take into consideration that competing companies likely post bad reviews to discredit the competitor. Much like the car companies that post their own positive reviews or troll for recommendations. Anytime I see a one-time poster doing such things, I'm always suspicious. Can't help it, that how I'm made.

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Car hire from fiumicino airport, Rome

I think there's an English-to-English translation problem here.

The OP wants to rent a car, not hire a driver.

plasticfantastic, try using www.auto-europe.co.uk. It's a broker for several of the car-rental companies, and the rates are generally better than if you rent directly through the majors. In the US at least, Autoeurope has excellent customer service.

Ohio
Level Contributor
1,557 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car hire from fiumicino airport, Rome

Ah! I think you're right again, Z.

Jacksonville, FL
Destination Expert
for Jacksonville
Level Contributor
5,530 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car hire from fiumicino airport, Rome

We rented our last vehicle from AutoEuropa. No problems, except that we were going to turn it in when we got to Sorrento, and they had moved their office without bothering to tell us. They had all of our contact information on our reservation and could easily have let us know that they had changed locations. As a result, we drove around for 2 hours trying to find the place, (their phone number didn't work) and when we finally found them, they actually mentioned something about us turning the vehicle in late. I told them exactly what I thought about that, and they backed off and didn't charge a late fee. Otherwise, no problems, and they didn't charge for the GPS, which for us is a must. The next year, we rented from Hertz and they wanted about $200 for the GPS rental. So we bought one. It has not only encouraged us to venture to places where we normally may not, but likely saved our marriage :)

Good luck!

Vicki

Mentioned in this post
Sorrento
Sorrento
Province of Naples, Italy
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
92,762 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car hire from fiumicino airport, Rome

For car hire without problems, use one of the majors:

www.europcar.it

www.hertz.it

www.avisautonoleggio.it

www.autoeurope.com

durham, NC USA
Level Contributor
126 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car hire from fiumicino airport, Rome

I have rented a car from Fiumicino airport each April/May since 2004, usually for about 3 weeks each year. Having the car gives us a lot more freedom. I have never had a totally horrible experience, and have used a couple different companies.

Last year (2008) we had 3 adults and one child in a car seat for a tour of southern Italy and Sicily. Avis rented us a nice Opel Astra station wagon- I would gladly buy one here in the USA if I could!

For 2009, I found a great deal on-line through Auto Europe. As other posters stated, AutoEurope is a broker/consolidater, they do not have their own fleet of cars. They set me up with a car through Europcar (strange as it may be, it was cheaper to go through AutoEurope than deal directly with Europcar)

I paid AutoEurope in advance by credit card (in US dollars, which saves money) and they e-mailed me a voucher, which I took to the Europcar desk at FCO. Very quick and easy. (Europcar will require a credit card at check-in to cover incidental expenses and certain taxes not covered by the agreement...came to less than $200 more. Shows up on your credit card after you return. This is normal in Italy, I've done it every time, I think).

Renting a car in Italy is not really cheap, because you are required to pay for pretty hefty insurance coverage, but it has been well worth if for us. You can see so much more of the countryside with your own transportation--and Umbria is beautiful to drive through!

If you feel you are not finding a good deal on your own, or feel baffled by the choices, check with a travel agent or you auto club (we have AAA here in the USA). Sometimes a professional can help. Our first year going to Italy we used a travel agent (who was also a friend)and it made planning so much easier.

Hope you have a wonderful trip!

Mentioned in this post
Fiumicino Airport
Fiumicino Airport
Fiumicino, Italy
Italy
Italy
Europe
Sicily
Sicily
Italy
Europe
Europe
World
Umbria
Umbria
Italy
Oxfordshire
Level Contributor
2 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car hire from fiumicino airport, Rome

Thanks everyone. Really useful help. I suppose that people are most likely to post reviews of car hire companies when they've had a bad experience. I'll let you know how I get one.

First time I've used tripadvisor - i love it!

Plasticfantastic

10. Re: Car hire from fiumicino airport, Rome

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, January 05, 2010