We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dumb Question about Gianicolo-Need advice!

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
fort lauderdale, fl
Level Contributor
61 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Dumb Question about Gianicolo-Need advice!

We are flying in hopefully landing at FCO at 8:15 am. We don't need to be in Civitavecchia until after 1 pm, because our ship leaves at 5.

Besides the hop-on tours, I was trying to think of something cool to do with my wife that would be fun, meaningful, and quick.

Would it be dumb if we took the local FM train from FCO to Trastavere, threw our luggage in a taxi and went up to Giancolo to see the view for 15-20 minutes while the taxi waited and then went back to Trastavere to take the regional to Civitavecchia?

The view seems great, and when we return after the cruise we probably won't make it there for the view since we'll be seeing the main sites.

It would be on a Sunday late morning, and I have no idea what the taxi fare would be, or even if you can get an official taxi at Trastavere. I'm sure they are more scarce than at Termini.

Any comments or advice would be appreciated, thanks!

Jacksonville, FL
Destination Expert
for Jacksonville
Level Contributor
5,470 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dumb Question about Gianicolo-Need advice!

Drew,

I wouldn't hassle with the trains. You'll be toting your luggage all over the place and hefting it upon arrival at Civitavecchia. Unless you're really trying to save the money, I'd start out my vacation on a very nice note...that said, I would book Romecabs to pick me up at FCO, take me wherever I want to go in Rome (they will point out things along the way) and then head with them to the cruise port. They know just where to go, what to do, and can get you as close as possible, where they will then help you with your luggage.

Get a quote for this from Stefano Costantini. Email him at romecabs@yahoo.com. You'll be in a nice temperature-controlled van, rather than a hot taxi cab followed by a crowded train and trying to get your luggage where it won't be trampled.

Tell Stefano that your fellow Floridian, Vicki Floyd, sent you and to give you his best price. He'll do it...

Have fun!

Vicki

2. Re: Dumb Question about Gianicolo-Need advice!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, December 22, 2009