We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

nero di seppia

canada
Level Contributor
336 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
nero di seppia

Hi, I bought some nero di seppia pasta during my recent trip to Italy. Does anyone know what kind of sauce would go best with this? thanks!

God's 1/2 acre
Level Contributor
849 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: nero di seppia

Kitty,

You might like to try a white wine sauce with roasted red peppers or a tomato sauce with white wine.

Martha

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: nero di seppia

I'd suggest a white wine and clam sauce.

Benson, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,266 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: nero di seppia

The simpler the better....even just oil, garlic, and a bit of white wine...

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,758 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: nero di seppia

White wine, cream and fresh seafood - Clams, Mussels, Prawns.

rome
Level Contributor
2,200 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: nero di seppia

never ever use cream with seafood.... Butter/olive oil, wine and the starch from the pasta is what makes a "creamy" sauce.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,758 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: nero di seppia

But, the dish of Pennette, gamberetti e rucola with cream is famous and delicious!

Spaghetti alla chitarra con crema di scampi is another.

rome
Level Contributor
2,200 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: nero di seppia

The pennette, gambaretti, rucala is without cream. Never had/heard/read it with cream. Famous where?

The chitarra + scampi is a bastardization - it used to be that the "crema" was obtained as I wrote above or at times ceci (garbanzo beans) were used to make a "crema", but never cream. Unfortunately, even the Italians are forgetting about the roots of their regional cooking.

The basic thinking is(was) that: Italian cooking is very regional, using only regional products. Cows, hence cream, exist(ed!) only in the northern cold regions. In the south, where you'd have gambaretti, there is(was) no cream, so it is(was) not used together.

Doesn't mean you can't do it and I do really believe it would taste good, but it just isn't the real Italian way to do food.

tampa fl
Level Contributor
122 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: nero di seppia

My family is from Campania and Sicily.

No cream in the house except for coffee. Even butter was scarce.

Jacksonville, FL
Destination Expert
for Jacksonville
Level Contributor
5,513 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: nero di seppia

A few swirls of extra virgin good olive oil in the pan, 2 or 3 cloves of fresh, chopped garlic, 1/2 cup white wine (cook until it reduces) juice of one lemon and let the lemon that you juiced cook in the sauce until it's reduced, then remove each half.

Add some shavings of parmigiano reggiano to the pasta while hot.

You want a light, crisp sauce to compliment this pasta.

Buon appetito!

Vicki

rome
Level Contributor
117 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: nero di seppia

I like it simple, with rice, a little olive oil, and /( this is my very personla taste) a little parmesan cheese...