We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Da Mia Pataka

jbc
United Kingdom
2 posts
Save Topic
Da Mia Pataka

I'm visiting rome in December and I would like to take my family to a restaurant I went to some years ago called 'Da Mia Pataka'. I cannot find it listed anywhere. does anyone know if it still exists? and if so, its address. many thanks

UK
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Da Mia Pataka

Hi jbc !

I think you may mean Da Meo Patacca in Trastevere !

Da Meo Patacca

Piazza dei Mercanti 30

Roma.

Tel: 065816198

If you put 'Da Meo Patacca' in a Google search you'll get all sorts of sites up giving reviews of this restaurant and that may confirm it for you ! I've never been there - I just guessed the name because - there is no letter 'k' in Italian - and if I remember rightly, Meo Patacca is a 'carnival mask' figure from the Commedia dell'Arte.. .. but I need to check on this !! Enjoy you meal there ! Best wishes, Nolana

UK
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Da Mia Pataka

Just checked... yes ! Meo Patacca is the Roman (carnival mask ) character who, together with the other character, Rugantino, represents the classic insolent and witty, arrogant Roman tough guy ...

Just thought you'd like to know that ! Nolana

UK
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Da Mia Pataka

In the Roman theatre 'commedia dell'arte' Meo Patacca represents the typical lazy, quarrelsome, arrogant, tough guy of the 'lower classes' - quick to pick a fight. The name comes from the word 'patacca' that designated the low pay of a soldier. His costume would be : trousers tied at the knee with laces, a velvet jacket, a brightly coloured scarf and a net that gathered his hair up so that only a few curls would show.

jbc
United Kingdom
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Da Mia Pataka

many thanks Nolana, this is most helpful

UK
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Da Mia Pataka

You can see an illustration of Meo Patacca at the following website: www.il paesedeibambinichesorridono.it/meo_patacca.h…

the names of the different 'Commedia dell'Arte' characters (now used as carnival 'masks' costumes) are listed down the left hand side of the web page, so you can look at all the others too !

Sorry if this bores you, but some-one else might like to know about it !!! I'll shut up now ! Regards, Nolana

UK
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Da Mia Pataka

bumping this up for Forsburg to read !!!

UK
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Da Mia Pataka

bump up !

st lucia
Level Contributor
1,212 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Da Mia Pataka

As Nolana says the translation means insolent and arrogant and they carry this theme on at the restuarant by treating people badly and using some choice expressions too. This is done on purpose to be in keeping with the theme and description of the character. Food nothing to rave about and can think of places I'd rather spend such large ammounts of cash. A very touristy kind of place.

st lucia
Level Contributor
1,212 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Da Mia Pataka

Should also point out that the name of the restaurant is da meo pattaca!!!! The word pattaca has a somewhat different meaning in this form and not allowed to go into the exact translation on this forum!!!! Can be used in many ways for example in the Romagna region it's used in a light hearted joking way and doesn't offend use it in Rome and you can be taken as very offensive.

In Brazil it's used as a name for many hard core type places and so perhaps we are getting a better insight as to its meaning. Female anatomy part!!!!

UK
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Da Mia Pataka

Good Heavens, Suzywong !

I didn't know of the 'rude' meaning... but the name is spelt with one t and two cc - the restaurant has a website and that's how they spell it. It may mean something different in Brazil but I've never heard that meaning in Italy - I must be mixing in the wrong circles.... or maybe not !!!

Perhaps it took on that meaning from its original one I mentoned in the third posting I put on here - where it refers to a soldier's poor pay... because 'patacca' meant a coin of little value originally.... (source: the 2 vol. 'Grande Vocabolario Illustrato' by Devoto-Oli ). The Carnival Website www.ilpaesedei bambinichesorridono.it/meo_patacca also refers to that. But then they wouldn't mention any rude words. would they (it means www.'the land of smiling children')!