We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travel in Rome

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
110 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
travel in Rome

Hi, my friend and I ( young/senior citizens ) will be going to Rome on 25th this month 4 four nights. We are travelling with Ryanair - we arrrive at noon , should we get a taxi or train into the city centre ? if a taxi how much should we pay ?

many thanks

Philly Burbs
Level Contributor
271 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: travel in Rome

It would be better if the two of you split a taxi, a little more money but it is easier. It should be about 45 euros. There may be some shuttles for a little less, but I did not use any so I can't recommend them. Be sure it is a legitimate taxi and ask the price before getting in. On the way out you should try and get your hotel to arrange a shuttle for you. I paid 45 euros for that when I left.

Stockton-on-Tees
Level Contributor
22 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: travel in Rome

We asked our hotel for a quote for a taxi. The price we were quoted was 40 euros and 35 euros for the return journey. We were arriving just before midnight and staying about 7 minutes walk from the Termini. May be worth getting your hotel to arrange taxi, could be cheaper.

Ireland
Level Contributor
922 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: travel in Rome

There is a Terravision coach specificaly for Ryanair, easyJet and some other budget airline passengers from Rome Ciampino to Termini Station in Rome. It takes 40 minutes and costs 8 Euros per person.

It leaves from the Arrivals carpark and passengers have to show a valid airline boarding pass, ticket or e-ticket for one of the appropriate airlines in order to board the coach. They depart quite regularly and there's one timetabled for 12.30pm.

Tickets can be purchased onlone on the Ryanair website.

From Termini to your hotel would be a lot cheaper than taxi the whole way. There is no train link.

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
110 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: travel in Rome

Thank you for information - very useful. This will be the first time in Rome and only second time away on our own !!! Whilst we are looking forward very much to visiting Rome, must admit to being a bit nervous as lots of info we have read make it sound quite an unsafe place. I am also concerned about the hotel (Texas) we have booked from lonely planet web site - have only seen 1 review which is very negative.- we have paid a small deposit - if room dirty / unpleasant , is anything we can do . Am not looking for posh but do want clean!!

We are not usually nervous people, I am sure we will be ok and thoroughly enjoy our 4nites/5 day break.

Cheers

johnni

Aviano, Italy
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: travel in Rome

Ciao! Watch out for the fake taxis. There are a lot of them, especially around the train station. There is a pickpocketing problem in the city, so keep your passport, money, wallet, etc. in your front pocket all of the time. People in Rome are mostly pleasant, and I think you will have a great time. The busses are very easy to figure out and will take you anywhere, just watch the pickpockets!!!

Aviano, Italy
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: travel in Rome

Also, maybe you can cancel your reservation at Hotel Texas, and make a reservation at the Hotel Giuliana. It is very affordable, but also very nice. They have a website, www.hotelgiuliana.com and also have many good reviews on this website. The Hotel Texas sounds a bit scary!

Cranston, RI
Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: travel in Rome

I was in Rome in May with 2 girlfriends. We felt fine?safe. We all had those security pouches that fit under clothing. This prevented us from obsessing about being pickpocketed. We could relax and look at all the sights without clinging desparately to our pocketbooks. I had things in my bag that I wouldn't have wanted to "lose", so they were at the bottom of my bag. Any big city would need precautions, that's all.

We stayed in the Campo di Fiore section. I have stayed in two hotels that were fine and in walking distance from alot: Hotel Smeraldo, and Hotel Pomezia. They were fine. I don't know where you will be going, but most big sights can be accessed on foot by staying here.

Have a great trip.