We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rome to Fabro-Ficulle

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hendersonville...
Level Contributor
426 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Rome to Fabro-Ficulle

I need to travel from Rome to Ficulle on a Saturday in March; the trenitalia site lists a train from Roma (Tutte Le Stazioni) to Fabro--what staion is this in Rome? Is it convenient to the airport? RailEurope doesn't list a connection between Rome and Fabro. There's one to Orvieto, but that's farther from where we'll be staying in Ficulle. In addition to that, the RailEurope ticket to Orvieto is much, much more expensive. Can someone help me out with the best way to travel from Rome to Fabro? The ticket is actually for a friend who is flying into Rome to join us in Ficulle; we'll be coming from Verona on the same day, so I'd rather not travel south to Orvieto to pick her up and then double back to Ficulle--probably after dark. It'd make it so much easier to pick her up in Fabro--it seems! I only have a map to guide me. Thanks for any advice.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,409 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rome to Fabro-Ficulle

The station is called Fabro Ficulle, and it's nearer to Fabro than to Ficulle. You can see it on google maps; the area of the station is called Fabro Scalo.

The train leaves from Termini station; assuming she's arriving at Fiumicino, your friend should get the Leonardo Express train from the airport to Termini station, and then the other train from there. The trains are all regional trains, with no seat reservations, so there is no advantage to buying the ticket ahead of time. She can get the ticket all the way to Fabro at the airport train station, where the ticket agents are all multilingual, and there are also multilingual ticket machines. She will actually get two tickets, which have to be stamped in the little yellow machine near the platform before boarding the train. Buying this sort of ticket on raileurope is a big waste of money.

When she gets to Termini station, she will have to find her train, which means she needs to know the final destination. Some trains to Florence stop in Fabro, but the final destination could also be Arezzo or maybe Chiusi. She should ask a station employee in Termini which train she should take.

The distance from Ficulle to Orvieto is not a lot greater than the distance from Ficulle to Fabro. If you look on Google maps you can see all three. However, Fabro *is* somewhat closer, especially if you're coming directly from Verona.

FF
Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Milan, Genoa, Valle d'Aosta
Level Contributor
11,883 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rome to Fabro-Ficulle

I would just add to bvlenci's helpful post that the trip from Fiumicino airport can be done even more conveniently using cheaper regional trains connecting at Rome's Tiburtina station ('RO TIB' on the Trenitalia website). The train from FCO to Termini is regional, but priced as an express, and in this case gives no added value at all.

Hendersonville...
Level Contributor
426 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rome to Fabro-Ficulle

Thank you for such clear instructions. I appreciate your good advice! Sharon

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,409 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rome to Fabro-Ficulle

I didn't think of that, but FF is correct. The Leonardo Express comes in at a distant track and it's a long walk to any of the other trains at Termini station. Tiburtina station is much smaller, and when I change trains there, I often find my connecting train right across the platform. However, if it's on a different platform, there may be stairs to contend with. At Termini, it's a long walk, but all flat.

5. Re: Rome to Fabro-Ficulle

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:37 am, October 20, 2009