We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel with parking

Sydney
Level Contributor
30 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel with parking

Hi,

we are heading to Rome in October and are hunting a hotel that has parking. Any ideas? This is our first trip to Europe.

Special Offer
Waking Up the Vatican: VIP Early...
61 Reviews
from $375.80*
$536.90
Best Seller
Vatican Museums Skip the Line Tour...
24,145 Reviews
from $74.10*
Best Seller
Ancient Rome and Colosseum Skip the...
12,132 Reviews
from $58.60*
St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,425 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel with parking

Central Rome is a ZTL zone where nonresidents are forbidden to drive

www.romafree.it/index.php…

Ifr you drive in inot a ZTL zone without a transponder, a camera takes a picture of your license plate, sends it to the Police. The police give you a ticket which they swend to you car rental co. They charge nit against the VISA card you gave them. Since this is very efficient, you are probably better off in a hotel outside central Rome if you have to park a car, and take public transport in. I stayed in the Celio in back of the Colosseum once in an apt and that was outside the zone, but there was not a lot of places to park there.

Venere.com it a good palce to look since there are reviews bopth positive and negative.

http://en.venere.com/hotels_rome/

Every hotloe hasw a map, so you can chek them against the Ztl zones. In the lower left border, you can even selexct an area of Rome that yuou might want to search. You can sort by price by selecting the price at the head of the column.

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel with parking

My question is: Why will you have a car? Where are you coming from and where are you headed?

A car is worse than useless in any Italian city. There are the ZTL zones; parking, if available, is either expensive or far from the center. All Italian cities have excellent public transportation, and the historic centers - even in Rome - are walkable.

Trains are the cheapest and fastest way to get from city to city.

The only thing you would need a car for would be to explore hill towns and villages. You certainly don't need or want one in Rome.

Le Marche, Italy
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel with parking

I agree. If you will have a rental car, unless you will only be in Rome for one or two days, it would be better to turn it in and get another, if necessary, when you're ready to move on.

If you will be driving your own car or will be in Rome just for a day or two, and will need a car for the rest of the trip, you should find a hotel outside the center of the city, but close to a metro ro train station. Be aware though, that at rush hour all trains and metros heading into Rome will be extremely crowded. If it's not absolutely necessary, it's better not to be burdened with a car.

When my husband and I drove to Rome for a few days, as the first step on a trip that required a car, we left the car at the airport parking lot and took the train into the city.

Sydney
Level Contributor
30 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel with parking

Hi, Thank you for your suggestions. We will have a car as we are doing a 7 week trip starting in Prague and then leasing a car in Munich and travelling through Europe for 5 weeks, taking in numerous countries,all of which we will find accommodation as we go but we were advised to prebook accomm. in Rome and Paris where we drop off the car before we spend time there and continue on to UK. We were told that we would have to stay outside Rome which is fine by us.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,951 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel with parking

Out of curiosity, what additional fees will you pay to the car hire agency to rent in one country and drop off in another? It is my understanding that this is a significant cost.

New York, New York
Level Contributor
813 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel with parking

Almost all hotels in rome have arrangements with private car parks and can help you park your car. I would not stay in the outskirts of Rome because Rome as it is is all sprawled out and you miss the real feel. You have two choices. You can park at the airport long term (FCO) and take the train in and out. You can also stay at a hotel specifically with parking. The radisson SAS has a very inexpensive (14 euros) garage next door. You can use there garage even if you aren't a guest it is a public garage. I believe the star hotel near the temmini has a garage as well. Once there, I would leave the car as there is almost nothing you can drive to inside of rome.

Sydney
Level Contributor
30 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel with parking

Hi Lynne, We are leasing a brand new car and not hiring which actually worked out a whole lot cheaper. We were advised to do this by our Travel agent. The fee was waived as part of a deal we got when we booked at Europe Expo weekend in Sydney.

Sydney
Level Contributor
30 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel with parking

Thanks for the info. We knew we wouldnt need the car in Rome to get around and we really wanted to stay as close to the centre as we could. Because we have never been before and have to deal with the car as part of the rest of our trip it was an unknown bit when it came to parking. Any suggestions for accomm. through the rest of Italy. We have allowed 5 nights in Tuscany and 3 in Amalfi coast (also with the car which may be just as difficult) as well as Venice then making our way via French Riveria then to Paris. Any suggestions we can get would be appreciated.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
97,069 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel with parking

>>We are leasing a brand new car and not hiring which actually worked out a whole lot cheaper. We were advised to do this by our Travel agent.<<

Did you compare the costs yourself, or did you just take the travel agent's word? I ask because I have twice costed rent against lease for a two-month hire, one in France and one in Italy, and both times the rental has been marginally cheaper.

Sydney
Level Contributor
30 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel with parking

No checked ourselves. The deal was cheaper only because we did it through the Europe Expo which was 1 day only and that is where we made the savings.