We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Life is just too short, so why not?

Hagerstown, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,157 posts
23 reviews
57 helpful votes
Life is just too short, so why not?

So the other day I was goofing off in the office, dreaming about Italy instead of working, and somehow got to looking at the airfares for early December. I was amazed to see that I could fly to Rome for under $700.

Now, I already had my next trip to Italy planned – a 2 week journey to Sicily next Spring. But I couldn’t help thinking.....could I? Should I?

I looked at my work calendar for the next few weeks. Perhaps I can indeed get away for a few days, I thought. My colleague on one project I’m working on may not be thrilled, but whatever.

As for the money I’d be spending in this economic crisis we’re in....well, I have surpassed my personal savings targets for the year (for the retirement fund, etc.), so I can afford it, I figured. And hey, I’d be helping the economy by spending the money, right??

I continued mulling it over the next couple of days. In the meantime I learned I could get an off-season rate in a respectable B&B for only 50-75 euros a night.

This morning, I finally said “Screw it, I’m going.” Purchased my flight for a brief trip to bella Roma, leaving Dec. 5th and returning Dec. 10th. It will be my fourth visit.

Life really is too short, you know.

Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
6,227 posts
259 reviews
117 helpful votes
1. Re: Life is just too short, so why not?

hi jjkdc

Way to go !! you go for it!!

I did the dame last week

booked 2 trips to Italy.. Venice 1st December and Rome 10th January. Now here in the UK our flights are way cheaper, but its still expensive with the hotel... I alway think its something to remember when your old and grey...if you get the chance do it !!

By the way are you willing to share that great hotel deal ? I need one for Rome in Jan

Jess UK

San Diego
Level Contributor
69,747 posts
72 reviews
141 helpful votes
2. Re: Life is just too short, so why not?

OK,now I officially hate you both!

You are right though,"life's too short".

Please right about your trips so the rest of us can drool.

Montreal
Level Contributor
1,177 posts
21 reviews
21 helpful votes
3. Re: Life is just too short, so why not?

I am soooooooooooooo jealous.

Airfare from Montreal is too expensive to go for short trips like that.

Have fun.

San Diego
Level Contributor
69,747 posts
72 reviews
141 helpful votes
4. Re: Life is just too short, so why not?

I cannot believe I wrote "right" instead of "write".

Sheesh!!!

perth
Level Contributor
1,781 posts
5. Re: Life is just too short, so why not?

Oh boy, Oh boy, Oh boy, you folks in the U.K and U.S.A don't know the meaning of the words " envious, jealous, green " etc....not only is it still over

$ 2000 Aussie dollars for a return trip Perth to Rome, but we can't do it in a couple of hours like you guys in England can....try 24, 5 to Singapore, perhaps 2 or 3 or 4 waiting there, then 12-13 to Rome.

I'll never forget the post from a lady in England asking if she should take her husband to Pisa for lunch for his birthday, she thought it might be too cold, can't remember the month, February perhaps.

Never did find out whether she did it .

jjkdc I am so glad you are going.Toss a coin into the fountain for me, please. lennyb

perth
Level Contributor
1,781 posts
6. Re: Life is just too short, so why not?

jessybobs, TWICE in two months. OH I weep. lennyb

Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
6,227 posts
259 reviews
117 helpful votes
7. Re: Life is just too short, so why not?

Lennyb

It will be the 5th time in 6 months...was in Venice june, Sept and Oct and Rome last Jan... The rome flights have cost me 2GBP and the Venice 10GBP

but you know my feelings about visiting Perth, still saving...I have another friend that left for Perth in June this year, they are all leaving me !!

Here & There
Level Contributor
118,385 posts
8. Re: Life is just too short, so why not?

Sometimes spontaneous is the best jjkdc – Buon Viaggio!

It is only with one's heart that one can see clearly.

Vagabonda :-)

Hagerstown, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,157 posts
23 reviews
57 helpful votes
9. Re: Life is just too short, so why not?

Jessybobs - I haven't booked a room yet, but I'm leaning heavily toward La Casa di Amy. It's near Termini, as I plan to make a couple of day trips. They get great reviews...

…tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187791-d57045…

Here & There
Level Contributor
118,385 posts
10. Re: Life is just too short, so why not?

to Naples????

Vagabonda