We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nick Inn, Anyone Am I being realistic? Here's my...

Lorton, VA
Level Contributor
291 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Nick Inn, Anyone Am I being realistic? Here's my...

Since I'm on a cruise, I'll only have about 6 hrs in Rome. I'll get into Rome around 1030am on a Wednesday. I've signed up for the 1200pm tour of the vatican via the Vatican tours. Do have time to still see the the Pantheon, the Colessium and St. Peter's Basilica, if I cab form point to point. One of the problems that I have is I don't know where in Rome the Cruise ship bus will drop us off. Also since it is wednesday there will be a papel audience, that means that the basilica will be closed. Maybe I can check the Pantheon out first, or by 1030 the basilica maybe reopened???

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can achieve everything I want to achieve.

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,661 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nick Inn, Anyone Am I being realistic? Here's my...

Nicholas may have an answer to your problems. All I can say is that whether it is Rome or Venice or any of the other great Italian cities you will just have to accept that 6 hours is not enough to see even a tenth of these cities treasures. Possibly 6 day, maybe.

Just relax, appreciate all you can see is a mere superficial impression of a truly world class city and enjoy what you do see, do not let it pass in a high speed blur!

Then you may return for the more leisurely visit it deserves

Lorton, VA
Level Contributor
291 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nick Inn, Anyone Am I being realistic? Here's my...

You know what your right. I'll just let it be and have fun. And enjoy the fact that I am in Rome. I may just take a cab and drive by the colisseum instead. Atleast that way I see it. Thanks.

Dublin
Level Contributor
1,431 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nick Inn, Anyone Am I being realistic? Here's my...

I agree with Robert - try visiting the Forum; it is outdoors.

Remember, the tour of the Vatican Museum is a long one, it takes some hours. You might not have time to do anything else.

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Nick Inn, Anyone Am I being realistic? Here's my...

As the previous posts mentioned, 6 hours isn't enough, just a tiny taste of Rome; come back again when you can stay for dinner and a gelato.

Also remember that St. Peter's is right next to the Vatican and well worth several hours of touring as well. You may want to climb the cuppola (sp?) for one of the most beautiful views of Rome.

Enjoy your first time in Rome.

Maxine.

Austin
Level Contributor
21 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nick Inn, Anyone Am I being realistic? Here's my...

You definitely will not have time to do all that in 6 hrs. Just because you are with a tour, you do not get to go ahead of the line at the Vatican. We thought we would when we signed up with a tour group. The lines are long there and at St. Peter's. You can definitely do the Pantheon and the Colessium though.

Level Contributor
2,852 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nick Inn, Anyone Am I being realistic? Here's my...

The Papal Audience starts at 10:30a and it probably won't end until 11:30 or noon. See the sights based on how important yis to see them. You may not have time to view everything but your top sights will be seen.

st lucia
Level Contributor
1,212 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Nick Inn, Anyone Am I being realistic? Here's my...

Given the large size of Rome I would suggest that you do some forward planning inorder to see the major sites----St. Peter's The Forum and the Coloseo. The Forum and Coloseo are next to each other so I would head for St. Peters first and enjoy the square with time for the short stroll down to Castel Sant'Angelo. From there taxi to the Forum area and if at the end you still have time take a horse and cart to see the Trevi Fountain and Spanish steps.

You are not going to have time to visit any of the places mentioned in any depth but a taste of what they are about.The horse and cart thing is a good idea as it's going to give you more of an outdoor feel of the place instead of being cooped in a taxi. It's also more fun and relaxing too.

Your big problem though is that you need to find out where the ship will be docking if it's Civitavecchia you'll be pushed to do anything really if your 6 hours has to include travel time to and from the ship.

UK
Level Contributor
38 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nick Inn, Anyone Am I being realistic? Here's my...

I've just arrived back from Rome - and split my tour into 2. Day 1 (4 hours) I had a guide who did the Vatican tour with me - we did the Vatican museums, the Sistine Chapel, and then St. Peters Basillica. I then had time to look and walk around St. Marks Square, buy souvineers from the Vatican shop (and stamps with pictures of the Pope on them) - and that was EXHAUSTING but exhilirating. Day 2, I did the Pantheon, the Forum (wow!) and the Colosseum (wow!) (but with queues of half an hour unless you have a private tour guide like me - and we just strolled straight in!)- again, a 4 hour tour. You can either skim over the surface - or do a complete tour and really learn about the places you see. My sister has cruised to Rome - and I think you will find that your cruise ship will lay on a reasonably comprehensive glimpse of Rome. Enjoy it - it is SPECTACULAR.