We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to travel from US to London and then Italy

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco
2 posts
Save Topic
Best way to travel from US to London and then Italy

Hi, I need to travel to London and then Cremona, Italy for work. I'm wondering what would be cheapest : buying a round trip flight from the US to london ad then just traveling to and from Italy by train? Or should I fly into london and then out of italy back to the us.

Any ideas on how much train travel from london to milan will be?

It seems that the cheapest route would be a round trip somewhere.

Thanks for any and all recommendations!

Toronto
Level Contributor
72 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to travel from US to London and then Italy

Probably the cheapest option is to fly to Milan. Or if you want to stop in England for some reason then come by one of the low cost airlines:

http://www.ryanair.com

http://www.easyjet.com

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Level Contributor
46 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to travel from US to London and then Italy

I fly quite a bit to London and was just in Rome for vacation. I would imagine that the best option would be to buy the RT to London and then a RT from London to Italy. RyanAir is pretty cheap (or KLM isn't bad either) and you could buy a RT ticket from London and save the hours on the train that you would lose traveling to Italy for about the same or even less. Train travel is getting expensive on the Continent again... good luck!

San Francisco
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to travel from US to London and then Italy

Thanks for your help everyone. I may end up taking the train for the fun of it, unless it's really a lot more expensive. My husband is traveling with me so it's a mini-vacation for us, and he likes to go by train. It's tricky -- work pays for me but not him of course, so I need to keep costs down as much as possible. If you have any more tips please pass them along -- I appreciate your help!

Best, Cindi

Georgetown
Level Contributor
411 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to travel from US to London and then Italy

Would it work to fly open jaw to London and return to US out of Milan? Then you could pick up a cheap flight from England to Italy one way. I would like others input on this since I am trying to sort out a trip very similiar(only flying into Edinburgh from US)

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,409 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way to travel from US to London and then Italy

I agree with McGee, on taking an open-jaws flight, plus a cheap flight to Italy from London. However, there are two other things to consider before you decide.

First, you should try pricing a multi-destination flight, all on one ticket. Sometimes they cost little more than the open jaws flight. Expedia, as well as other online reservation sites, allows you to do this.

Second, many of the cheap carriers from the UK to continental Europe have *very* strict limits on baggage, and you might have to pay steep extra baggage charges that might make the cheap flight expensive.

In any case, here is a good site for finding cheap flights within Europe:

www.skyscanner.net

london
Level Contributor
271 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Best way to travel from US to London and then Italy

Hello Cindi72 i have travelled to rome by train many times and the way i prefer to go is eurostar 9028 departs London St Pancras at 13:32hrs arrives Paris Gare Du Nord at 16:47hrs then take the RER train to Gare de Lyon then either 10 mins walk or one stop on the metro to Gare De Bercy . then the EN 227 palatino overnight train Departs at 18:59hrs arrives Rome Termini 09:50 . there are cabins with comfortable beds .and you wake up in the Centre of rome .but it's not cheap . if budget is a factor take the plane

7. Re: Best way to travel from US to London and then Italy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:17 pm, September 18, 2009