We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport-City-Airport Taxi Fare

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
57 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Airport-City-Airport Taxi Fare

There is a lot of discussion about this in the forum, so I though I will clear this up once and for all.

* There is a fix rate (by law!) for FCO Airport-City (anywhere within the walls!): This is 40 Euros. All normal, official cabs (white!) cost this fixrate. To find these cabs, at the airport, once you get out of luggage claim and customs, go through the waiting area and go out of the building, where you will come across a street, with a long line of white cabs waiting. Go to the very right to find the starting point of the line, do not just get one from the middle of the line!

* Same rate applies to "from the city to the airport".

* For Ciampino airport this rate is 30 Euros

* All the other "transfer services", "limousines" etc. will cost more and don't have any advantage over the regular cab, so no need!

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport-City-Airport Taxi Fare

Incorrect on two counts.

a) The cabbies at Ciampino are notorious for demanding - and often getting! - much higher fares.

Read a recent post about two parties who were charged 120 Euro and 140 Euro, respectively, by unscrupulous cabbies for a Ciampino-central Rome transfer.

b) At least one limousine transfer charges 35 Euro for a Fiumicino-Rome transfer for up to three people with luggage. The advantage is that the driver waits for you in the arrival area with a sign with your name on it. The same service charges 35 Euro for a Ciampino-Rome transfer; it's more than the "official" rate of 30 Euro, but it's fixed in advance and will not "escalate" as cab fares from Ciampino often do.

UK
Level Contributor
2,891 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport-City-Airport Taxi Fare

<<<<<<< There is a fix rate (by law!) for FCO Airport-City (anywhere within the walls!): This is 40 Euros. All normal, official cabs (white!) cost this fixrate >>>>>>>>>

There may be a law but there are still unscrupulous drivers of licensed white cabs waiting at FCO. Whilst travelling alone some four years back I was caught by one, who was waiting at the head of the queue. He knew I was monitoring the meter and kept bending his knee to obstruct my view. As soon as we arrived at my destination he turned off the meter and demanded 90 Euros. I objected strongly that this was incorrect and he insisted that was what had been on the meter because of heavy traffic. I was suffering from a heavy cold at the time (something he had been most solicitous about) so decided to pay up and put it down to experience. Since then we have always had a private taxi transfer.

united kingdom
Level Contributor
192 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport-City-Airport Taxi Fare

the Terravision buses are the cheapest from airport to city centre. Terravision.com

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport-City-Airport Taxi Fare

You can only take tbe Terravision buses if you fly into Rome with one of the budget airlines that have contracts with Terravision.

Ravenna, Italy
Level Contributor
9,377 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport-City-Airport Taxi Fare

Zerlina

What would we do without you. Your information is always spot on and always correct!

If you do make a mistake you correct it ASAP.

I for one always read your posts and enjoy them very much.

thank you for all your research.

agatha

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
57 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Airport-City-Airport Taxi Fare

Zerlina,

I don't think my information is incorrect about the fixed rates. That some highway-robbers try to trick and get more is something else, but I was referring to a lot of discussions here on the forums (limo-services for 55 Euros, why?), and the truth is, there is a fixed rate. And it is cheaper than most private limousine services. You are right about the one you wrote, I had forgotten about them.

But another point is: There is no more guarantee the price will be fix with the limousine service than with the official taxi. Actually, even less, because if there is problem with the limo-service you have to deal with a private business and there will be no one on your side. If there is problem with the official taxi, you have the city and the law behind you and if you have written down the number of the taxi you can achieve justice.

Taxi drivers everywhere in the world try to do this, it has happened to me in New York, Paris, Munich, Madrid, Istanbul, Saigon... As a tourist, if there is a taximeter and you are in a foreign city (i.e. you don't know the shortest way) and/or don't speak the language, you are always at a disadvantage. But if you know there is a fix rate and how much it is, you have a different stance. That is all I am trying to make clear.

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Airport-City-Airport Taxi Fare

tkraft, Yes, you're right: People should know that there is a fixed fare of 40 Euro between FCO and central Rome.

But I disagree with your statement that "There is no more guarantee the price will be fix with the limousine service than with the official taxi. Actually, even less, because if there is problem with the limo-service you have to deal with a private business and there will be no one on your side. If there is problem with the official taxi, you have the city and the law behind you and if you have written down the number of the taxi you can achieve justice."

First, it's highly unlikely that a limousine service with a Web presence would risk trying to get a price higher than the one given on line; it would ruin their business in short order. An individual cabbie runs no risk if he overcharges. Second, most people are not in Rome long enough to go through the legal hoops of submitting a report (in Italian!) to the Comune di Roma, and they certainly won't be around long enough to appear at a hearing! Third, limousine drivers as well as cabbies can be reported to the Guardia di Finanza by calling 117 - but most people would not have the time and the energy to do that either.

Level Contributor
55 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airport-City-Airport Taxi Fare

Zerlina:

Can you please give the name of the private car service currently charging 35 e for transport from da Vinci into Rome center?

Carol

Singapore
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Airport-City-Airport Taxi Fare

Hi tkraft

""""There is a fix rate (by law!) for FCO Airport-City (anywhere within the walls!): This is 40 Euros""""

Is this rate the same for day and night? thanks

Ravenna, Italy
Level Contributor
9,377 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Airport-City-Airport Taxi Fare

I fully agree with Zerlina. Something like 2 or 3 million people use TA. If just a few people start to post that the private car service is dishonest on TA that car service is out of business in a New York Minute.

www.romecabs.com became very successful because they never disappoint and they are always honest. Thus, their customers gave them high marks on TA and more and more people started to use them.

If a cabbie over charges you, as Zerlina says, to whom are you going to complain? As in most places, and for sure in ,Italy you can't beat City hall!!

In my experience "fixed rate" does not cover suitcases, holidays or at night.