We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jogging in Rome

California
Level Contributor
39 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Jogging in Rome

Does anyone know of any good jogging paths near the Vatican? We are staying at a hotel near the Vatican in June and would like to keep up with our workouts. I'm just looking for a spot to do 2 - 3 miles a day. Thank you for your help!

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
57 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Jogging in Rome

You can run along the tiber. There is a path below the street level, directly beside the river. I prefer the vatican side. You can run in both directions for miles and miles.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jogging in Rome

There are also good jogging paths at the Doria Pamphilj park, a bit northwest of Trastevere.

California
Level Contributor
39 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jogging in Rome

Thank you! Are those locations near the Starhotel Michaelangelo? I'm trying to do get up to speed with our iterinary, but am getting a little overwhelmed.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jogging in Rome

Neither is very far. You could get to the Tiber river bank sooner than to the Villa Doria Pamphilj park.

Considering where you're staying, if you don't mind a hill, you could jog up over the Janiculum hill and from there to the park.

romelocal
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Jogging in Rome

EuroDiva,

Ahhh....but how joggers are looked up in Rome! There is no street jogging in this town and I swear whenever I did get the guts to jog I was complete bait for Italian eyes and comments! It's kind of funny actually but Roman jogging culture is really restricted to parks. I used to jog in Villa Pamphili which is a great place for it but it's not so convenient to where you'll be staying.

The river, on the other hand might work and it's not too far from the Star Michelangelo (about a 15 min walk). I, as a young female, always found it a little sketchy to jog down there but if there are 2 of you then I'm sure it won't be sketchy at all. (There are some homeless people who live under some of the bridges and the river is pretty smelly in the summer months). But it will definitely work for a sure work out area.

romelocal
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Jogging in Rome

Oh yes, and there's a nice big staircase right near your hotel as well if you'd like to run some stairs. The staircase actually actually has a street name and it's called 'Rampa del Viale Vaticano'.

There's also a gym not too far from where you'll be staying right off of Via Gregorio VII. The name of the gym is called "Gregory Gym".

Address: Largo C.A. Galamini, 18

I used to live in the neighbourhood and used this gym. They have treadmills and the normal equipment and even some classes. When I returned to Rome for 1 month last year they gave me a special deal of 90 Euro for a 1 month pass. It's kind of pricey but if you're looking for an air-conditioned place for a sure workout I do recommend it.

If you do opt for the gym you might send them an email in advance to see what they might charge you.

Ok EuroDiva, hope this helps!

California
Level Contributor
39 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jogging in Rome

Thank you everybody. I will be jogging with my son, so it should be okay. I want to avoid a lay off from running so my legs don't feel like lead and I don't wind up looking like a doughboy when we get back. Thank you again!

La Quinta...
Level Contributor
390 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jogging in Rome

Check out the website

MAPMYRUN.com

It allows other runners to map their runs, calculate the mileage, etc. You can print out routes right from your doorstep. I looked up Rome a couple months ago and there were several routes on there.

There are also many large parks, many have paths for running/walking. I think Borghese park also is a place people like to run, but I do not know the area you are staying, so I don't know if it would work for you.

9. Re: Jogging in Rome

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:15 pm, September 30, 2009