We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just back!!

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Washington, DC
Level Contributor
277 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Just back!!

Just got back yesterday from 3 weeks in Europe, last 3 days in Rome. Had a WONDERFUL time!! Very hot, very humid. Stayed at Albergo Del Senato, lovely hotel, great location. Had some great dinners if anyone is interested. Used Angel Tours for a private tour of Vatican, Forum and Colosseum, Ross was our guide, he was quite engaging. Glad to answer any questions people might have!!

Norfolk
14 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Just back!!

I am glad you liked your hotel. What type of room did you have and was it large or small? What about the bathrooms? Did you try the roof garden bar? An lastly, did you enjoy their breakfasts?

Yes, please post some of your favorite restaurants and price ranges.

Thanks so much. I have been waiting for your imput.

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
338 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just back!!

Can you tell us more about Angel Tours? We're booked with them for Colossuem/Forum on July 12 and Vatican/St. Peter's on July 13.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
277 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just back!!

Me again - I think we had a regular double room, # 205. It overlooked the piazza and the Pantheon, quite a great view. Not very big (none of the rooms in Europe are) but nicely appointed. Bathroom was fine, certainly adequate. The rooftop bar was great, nice views, a nice breeze, but the bartendars weren't very friendly. Breakfast was fine, typical European continental. I think they had scrambled eggs as the only hot thing, then the usual yogurt, canned fruit, pretty good croissants, etc. Our best restaurants were Maccheroni and Osteria Del Sostegno, both were within just a couple of minutes of the hotel. Maccheroni is known for great pasta (where in Rome isn't?) and it was yummy. Everything at Sostegno was great too, but especially the bruschetta.

Angel Tours was great to deal with. It's a very small operation, only a couple of guides. Ross met us at the hotel Sat at 9:30, right on time. The wait at the Vatican was VERY long since it was a Sat and the museum closes early (don't go on Sat if you can avoid it). There is so much to see and he readily admits that he's taking people to see his favorites, but that was fine with us, we just wanted to highlights. It ended up being a very long day (9:30-6:00) and we obviously spent a lot of time with him, but he was a good conversationalist and fun to be with, aside from knowing a ton about what we were seeing. I think the whole day cost us 300 euros, which wasn't bad considering the number of hours. We were very satisifed!!

I'd go back again tomorrow if I could!!

Norfolk
14 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Just back!!

Thanks dkeppler, for your information on the hotel and your restaurant recommendations.

We'll be going to Rome soon and will be staying at the Del Senato. We will also try your dining choices.

Thanks, again.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
277 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just back!!

Medcruzer - you're welcome!! Forgot to mention - we found the food in Rome to be generally reasonable but not cheap, at least by our standards (we live in Washington, DC). Starters were around 4-8 euros, pastas 7-10 and meats 10-15. We mostly did gelato for dessert, 2 of the "best" places in Rome are right there too - one called something Palma (you pass it when turning to go to Maccheroni) and Giolotti just down the street and to the right. You'll have a great time!!

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
338 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just back!!

Thanks for great info! We have pre-paid our tours with Angel Tours (including tickets). Might we still have to wait in long lines, even with tickets?? We're going to the Vatican on a Wednesday, which they said was the best day. We have teenagers, so we told them we just wanted to hit the highlights in 2 1/2 hours.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
277 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just back!!

CalKat - my understaning is that the lines are somewhat unavoidable but much, much better during the week. They're for security, not tickets. We had to wait almost 1 1/2 hours to get through the metal detectors, but Ross said that during the week you often practically walk right in. We didn't do tickets in advance, I forgot to prepay, but getting them was never a problem. Have fun!!

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
277 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just back!!

Medcruzer - we were also told by friends who happened to be there at the same time that they had a wonderful meal at Edy, near the Spanish Steps. We were going to eat there our last night but they were closed (Sunday). But they were very enthusiastic about the place, if you're over in that part of town!