We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Munich to Rome

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
England
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Train from Munich to Rome

We are hoping to travel by train from Muncih to Rome in September.

There is a direct train at 09.32 arriving Rome Termini at 10.46.

I have looked at both the Italia Railways and the German Railays site and cannot book yet with either.

Checking their prices for April it appears to be much cheaper to book the ticket with Italian Railways. They have a smart ticket 1 and 2 (Ithink that is what it was called) but it is not available until 60 days before travel Germany tickets are available 89 days before travel.

Does anyone know of anywhere you can check the price before those dates.

I do know it is possible to fly between the two cites, but we rather fancy the train journey.

Regards.

Spain
Destination Expert
for Travel Gadgets and Gear, New Brunswick
Level Contributor
6,661 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from Munich to Rome

To get a price put in an earlier date (same day of the week that you want to travel). You cannot book more than 60 days ahead on trenitalia. This is a long trip - we have done munich to Trento (6 hours) and Trento to Rome (5+ hours) but not as one journey. Take food and drinks with you as the train food is not very good (and a glass of wine helps the train go faster!!) - don't worry, this is what most people will do. Enjoy the scenery. Ciao

England
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from Munich to Rome

Thank you very much. Do you know if as a u.k. citezen we can buy the smart tickets, as they seem to be so much cheaper than the standard ticket. We are looking forward to enjoying the scenery, and we will pack a good picnic and a bottle of wine.

We are spending a week in Baveria at Schliersee flying into Munich and then train to Schliersee then going for a week to Soriano nel Cimini a village 120 k outside Rome. We will Leave Munich Friday morning and take the trian to Rome where we will stay the night. Saturday we will have the morning in Rome and in the afternoon take the train to Orte. While at Soriano we plan to use the train for one or two excursions. By the way we have been before to Soriano but we flew direct to Rome, and hired a car, which in the week we were there we only used once, as we used the train to get about.

If anyone has any information on types of tickets we could use I would be very grateful.

Spain
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,661 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from Munich to Rome

There is lots of onfo in past posts. Put rail travel in the go box. I think you can only get the standard and amica tickets but am not certain. Ciao

malmo
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from Munich to Rome

Does anyone have information regarding the altitude that the train goes to from Munich to Rome. I have an altitude sensitive blood disorder and need to know the highest point the train reaches in the Alps from Munich to Rome.

You response would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Cristiaana

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
6,525 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train from Munich to Rome

I think the highest point on the rail line between Munich and Rome will be the Brenner Pass (1374m.) between Austria and Italy.

Spain
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,661 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train from Munich to Rome

The last poster is correct. (ps, I am originally from Stockport as well)

malmo
6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Train from Munich to Rome

thank you for that...the pass is 13 such meters but does the train actually go that high. I have tried to ask them at the rail company but no one seems to know?

Regards,

Cristiaana

Linz
Level Contributor
2,894 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train from Munich to Rome

Brenner pass is the lowest pass in the alps. The pass itself is a small village (Brenner) a huge train station (most of the time the trains stop for 10 minutes to change the engines as Austria and Italy have different electric systems) and the former border station of the motorway.

All trains in Europe usually have a/c and will keep a comfortable pressure inside the coach (important in tunnels).

Linz
Level Contributor
2,894 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train from Munich to Rome

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brenner_Pass

Linz
Level Contributor
2,894 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train from Munich to Rome

By the way: how do you get from Malmö to Munich? The air pressure in an aircraft is at about 2500 metres altitude.