We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying Alitalia

Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Flying Alitalia

I am considering flying Alitalia airline from Chicago to Rome in May. I have heard very mixed reviews about this airline. Does anyone have any experience with this airline? Are they good and reliable?

Likely To Sell Out
Vatican Museums Skip the Line Tour...
23,195 Reviews
from $78.80*
Likely To Sell Out
Sistine Chapel VIP Private Viewing...
534 Reviews
from $413.00*
Likely To Sell Out
Rome Colosseum Underground Chambers...
2,880 Reviews
from $123.90*
Ancient Rome and Colosseum Skip the...
11,706 Reviews
from $59.70*
Nice, France
Level Contributor
155 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flying Alitalia

I have used this company from Nice to Rome last week. Direct flight, 1 hour. I arrived at 13h00, my suitcase was not delivered. They called my hotel at 19h00 to confirm that they did finally found it but that they were unable to deliver the suitcase before the next day. Airport was at only 25 kms from the hotel !

Derby, United...
Level Contributor
62 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flying Alitalia

Surely a lost suitcase is more likely to be the responsibility of the airport rather than the airline?

We used Alitalia last week from Heathrow to Rome.

Going out the 9:30am flight was cancelled and we were switched to the 11:30am, which was delayed - both of these were caused by weather conditions over Europe I believe.

Although we boarded on time for the return flight we were delayed by the volume of traffic using the airport.

At Heathrow our baggage arrived on the carousel within minutes of our getting there!

I would have no problem using Alitalia again.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flying Alitalia

I generally use either Alitalia or Lufthansa for my overseas flights as they are the only two that operate from the airport nearest my home. I have a preference for Lufthansa, but there isn't a big difference. I have flown Alitalia countless times and never had a real problem with them. On the other hand I had a huge problem with Lufthansa in Mexico a year ago, although overall I still like the airline.

All air travel is pretty dreadful these days, unless you fly business class, you are not going to have a great experience. It's just something to tolerate until you get to your destination, and hope nothing major goes wrong.

Lost luggage, as someone else said, is not the fault of the airline, but the airport. I have often had lost luggage at Milan's Malpensa airport, but never at Rome Fiumicino.

Our community is here to help!Ask questions, get advice and more from travelers like you.
Join TripAdvisor
Ravenna, Italy
Level Contributor
9,377 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flying Alitalia

Alitalia is iffy. They are trying to sell the ailine..because of strong union rules the "deals" with other airlines always fall through.

Being in a gray zone I find the ground staff surly and not very helpful.

The cabin staff is just putting in their time. No special help. They give out the food, clear the trays and go into the back and sit and read for the remainder of the flight.

If you can find another airline with direct service I would take it.

As BV says lost luggage is not the fault of Alitalia..it is the fault of the airport.

New Jersey, USA
Level Contributor
950 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flying Alitalia

Putting my baggage on an Alitalia flight to Milan when I was going to Rome may have been the airport personnel's fault, but spending 10 days telling us that they had located the bag, only to deliver someone else's bag was Alitalia's. I didn't appreciate receiving my bag 5 days after I got home, particularly because the bag was delivered with the tag I put on it with my cell phone number and the telephone numbers in Italy of all of the places I was staying. I will never fly Alitalia again unless I don't need clothing.

Having said that, my flight left on time (again, not the airline's conduct, but the weather and the airport), was not any more uncomfortable than any other 8 hour flight, and I'm sure the bathroom can go out of service after an hour on any flight.

Because of the uncertainty around the sale to Air France-KLM, I would recommend that you look at other options.

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
668 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flying Alitalia

Every Alitalia flight we took in 2006 was delayed. Once we sat in the boiling plane on the runway for 3 hours, with no explanation. Never again!

But...it was British Airways that lost our bags and only found then 9 days later>

London, United...
Level Contributor
144 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flying Alitalia

I have been flying Alitalia for many years on both domestic and international routes.

My bags has never been lost. I also don't find the crew more or less helpful of any other western airline. The only things I am sure of is their safety record which is one of the highest in the world.

Do not worry, lost bags is just a question of luck!

Level Contributor
2,803 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flying Alitalia

I flew with different Companies and Alitalia is perfectly fine. Maybe I was lucky.

Talking about staff I feel assured that the pilots are between the best and an hostess or stewart might look stiff but be prepared and helpful in need.

Alitalia problems are in the management mostly. They should be able to deal with Unions. If an executive does an awful job he should be kicked off not get big money when quitting. Yeaa, maybe in a perfect world.

Level Contributor
1,288 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Flying Alitalia

My experience with Alitalia is that it is no better and no worst than any other air-company except for two things: 1. the worst possible food (but I find no inconvenience in this) and 2. they make you pay heaviliy evrey gram in excess of your 20 kg, even if you do not carry any handluggage. Several times we payd the excess kilos double than the tickets price (however, I may say that usually comming back from anyway in Italy we carry about 30 kg extra in books...guilty, guilty, guilty!).

New Zealand
Level Contributor
28 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flying Alitalia

We flew with Alitalia and decided never again. We flew business class from Barcleona to Rome and the attendant was so rude and unhelpful. I hate to think what the service was like in economy, the food was also terrible. Having flown Lufthansa we would definitely use them over Alitalia any day.