We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beware of rip off Taxi TOUTS s inside the Airport

Reading
3 posts
Save Topic
Beware of rip off Taxi TOUTS s inside the Airport

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to warn you all about the taxi stands inside the airport.. We just came back from Rome and when we landed we were approached by a professional taxi company inside the airport with a proper stand etc..

They asked us if we wanted a taxi and we said yes... thing is we did not realise that this was a private cheffueur company.. and thought it was the same taxi's they have outside.

When we got outside the taxi was a brand new mercedes and as didnt think nothing of it... As we were driiving to the airport the driver said it is a fixed rate of 140 euros for a 25 min ride... we couldnt do anything as we were already on our way...

When we got to the hotel we asked the receptionist how much should it be for a taxi and he told us it no more then 50 euros in a white taxi..

So please beware of the taxi tout and stick to the white ones outside the airport and ask the price beforehand...

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
32,710 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beware of rip off Taxi TOUTS s inside the Airport

Hello,

I'm so sorry that this happened to you. As a rule, never take a ride from any taxi driver or company that approaches you. Always go to the taxi rank. If they come to you, they are looking to rip you off. The cabs in the rank are mostly honest. If you got the number of the cab and the name of the driver you could report him.

I hope the rest of your trip went well and that you had a wonderful time.

Donna

Reading
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Beware of rip off Taxi TOUTS s inside the Airport

thanks donna, your very kind.

Ravenna, Italy
Level Contributor
9,377 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beware of rip off Taxi TOUTS s inside the Airport

Taxi stands are always located outside the buildings. The one in Rome is located outside the front doors...you can't miss it..you will see the line of passengers waiting and the line of taxis waiting for the passengers.

The Op story was sad. it probably happens everyday.

Stockton Heath...
Level Contributor
285 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beware of rip off Taxi TOUTS s inside the Airport

I was in Rome in September and prebooked with Rome Cabs. I would highly reccomend them.

My friends sister however was not so lucky. She was there the same time as us (same flight and everything) but chose to just jump in a taxi outside the airport.

When they arrived at their hotel they couldnt understand how much they owed for the journey as the driver spoke no english. My friends sister had her purse in her hand and the taxi driver turned round and snatched it from her then started rifling through her money. She was so shocked at first that for a few seconds did nothing, then realising how rude it was she snatched her purse back, gave him a twenty or something which he seemed happy with and got out.

It was only when the taxi had drove off that she realised he had taken just short of 400 Euros. You probably (like me) think how on earth did she not notice him taking that from her purse but what she seemed to think he must have done was whilst rumaging through her money he dropped a wad of it on his lap.

United States
Level Contributor
1,840 posts
275 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beware of rip off Taxi TOUTS s inside the Airport

I'm sorry but taxi driver and honest should not be in the same sentence. We took a lot of taxis in Rome and none of them were honest. They start charging you from the moment your hotel calls you, even before we got in the taxi we already owed him 11.40 euros. How honest is that? Very dishonest practice, if you ask me. In Florence we went to a taxi that had just dropped off someone and we saw the meter at 5.10, well he never changed it to zero and charged us those 5.10 again plus the rest of our trip. We were in a hurry to get somewhere so we didnt make anything of it. In Rome we were going to argue with a driver because he was charging us 5 euros more for the same exact trip we had done the day before. We spoke to him in Italian and he replied that he didnt speak english. At that moment we just laughed at him and got off the cab. You cant beat these people, just deal with it and hope you come out the best you can.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
36 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beware of rip off Taxi TOUTS s inside the Airport

They aren't all bad. When we got a taxi at Termini Station the driver gave us a map of the city - one of those free paper maps everyone in Rome seems to be walking around with! This meant we could actually follow the route he was taking, and to be fair he did go direct. I'm sure he didn't mean it for this purpose, but handy nevertheless!

On our walking tour our guide said one trick to watch is that the meter has the rate 1 highlighted instead of 2, which is for outside of the city.

Apex, NC
Level Contributor
297 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beware of rip off Taxi TOUTS s inside the Airport

Thanks for the tip KoolDiamond. This clenches my decision to simply use public transport. It's cheap, from what I read - efficient - and the price doesn't suddenly change unexpectedly. I hope your future travels don't end up like this one. - I myself am expecting the best as we leave for the Eternal City tomorrow morning, and hope the rest of your jaunt was as good as I am hoping mine will be.

United States
Level Contributor
1,840 posts
275 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beware of rip off Taxi TOUTS s inside the Airport

Rohickey... thank you for the information. We kept asking ourselves why he changed from 1 to 2. Our hotel was outside the city. We thought the 2 was for when he got on the expressway. It's nice to finally know what it meant. Thank you! :)

Seal Beach...
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beware of rip off Taxi TOUTS s inside the Airport

By the way, two major lessons in the OP's story can be found that haven't been mentioned yet....

ONE: ALWAYS inquire about the approximate cost for your journey. The taxi driver should be a professional and have a decent estimate of the cost from one area to another. Within a few euros of this is acceptable. One should never get in the car without ascertaining this information first.

TWO: This is what TripAdvisor and Virtual Tourist are for! Do the research so you know some of the pitfalls and hazards in advance! I always tout this website to my friends - even those who don't travel frequently - so that when they do travel they will know where to go for information.

Already mentioned Lesson #3 is that one should be wary of ANYBODY who approaches them and offers a service. Always go to the appropriate and official line or office to make arrangements or be prepared for the consequences if you do not. Usually these guys are sheisters or thieves or worse.

Thanks to the OP for bringing up these serious lessons. I hope that we can all learn from it!

LL

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
364 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Beware of rip off Taxi TOUTS s inside the Airport

I was told by a resident in Rome, never take taxi at all, even if you are in the city (not to say at the airport).

Sad to hear that taxi touts are operating at the airport, that will definitely hurt the taxi industry in Rome. 140 Euro is daylight robbery and such touts should be eliminated by tourism authorities.

Airports in Rome are well-established with train, metro and shuttlebus, tourists should take such established transportations. Was recently taking Terravision Shuttle at Ciampino. The traffic jam in Rome took 1.5hrs to reach the city in the morning 10am. The return trip to Ciampino which was at 4.30am, was clear of traffic and able to reach Ciampino in just 30mins!