We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant price ripoffs in Rome

Brooklyn, New York
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Restaurant price ripoffs in Rome

Be careful when you choose a restaurant in Rome, don't just look at the prices of food on the menu...we ate at a cafe at the top of the Spanish Steps (right across from the Hotel Hassler). The panninis (sandwiches) were only 5 Euros, but they charged us 6 Euros EACH for a very small bottle of coke (that's about $8 U.S.), and 12 E for a 16 oz bottle of water. ($16) A small cup of capuccino was also 6 E ($8). Their drink prices were not listed on the menu. Many of the cafes in Rome do this. You think you've ordered a lunch that will cost you about $25 U.S. dollars for 3 people, and you end up paying more than twice that.

I wish everyone going to Rome who reads this post will go to this cafe, order the food, and bring your own bottle of water or coke (even if you have to drink it as you leave). GET THEM BACK for me!!!

Stavanger, Norway
Level Contributor
4,142 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant price ripoffs in Rome

Hi

Yes, the prices of drinks and food can be ridiculous around the main tourist attractions of Rome, Florence etc. Remember that you can drink the water of the drinking fountains around in Rome so bring a bottle and fill it up as you walk around town.

Regards

Gard

gardkarlsen.com - trip reports and pictures

Ravenna, Italy
Level Contributor
9,377 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant price ripoffs in Rome

Well, you were not in the US you were in Italy. You were also in the most expenisve area in Rome. I am sorry that you are unhappy. Did you think the water and the coke were included with your sandwich? I don't think they are included in New York city either!

Drink prices are listed on menus...usually on the back.

Always inquire when in a restaurant in Italy, or France or even in NYC.

Your solution just shows bad manners. Hopefully, readers will not follow your suggestion. Since you didnt post the name of the restaurant if people follow your ideas that could cause problems in every sandwich shop in Rome.

Canterbury, United...
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant price ripoffs in Rome

OP's numbers are becoming irrelevant wherever you are in the Eurozone. BTW the $25 lunch for 3 people reminds me of the chap from Texas who quoted $ 17 for a medium priced meal at home, wherever it was (Yes and if you eat in the street in Bangkok or Jakarta it's probably 8.50)

These numbers are meaningless. You may need $1.45-1.50 to buy an Euro. Whose fault that is remains an open question.

Yes Eurozone prices are high even for locals, expressed in euros.Not to mention in a place across from the Hassler.This is not unique to Rome or Italy. We spend quite bit of time in Spain. A meal in the average restaurant (with the cheapest wine) now costs you about 75 Euros for two (2 courses)-say $110.Don't fret though, in London it's more like $150-180.

If this trend continues the average tourist from the Dollarzone will be priced out of the European market.(Ouch!)

If you want to tke the drinks with you, may as well take the sandwiches.

Ravenna, Italy
Level Contributor
9,377 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant price ripoffs in Rome

and sit on the kerb outside the restaurant and enjoy the view of The Hassler :)

Hagerstown, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,157 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant price ripoffs in Rome

While I don't agree that fellow travelers should go to Rome with the goal to get back at anybody on behalf of a stranger on this forum, I can appreciate his frustration. I don't think he expected the drinks to be included in the price of his panninis. And I don't see why the prices he quotes are meaningless - 12 euros is 12 euros, no matter where the dollar is. I think locals and tourists can agree that 12 euros for a bottle of water is pretty outrageous, especially if the price isn't made clear up front.

His story is consistent with the advice given many times in this forum and most guidebooks: to get a reasonable price on food, avoid the most obvious tourist gathering spots. Also, many times cafes charge you extra if you sit down and you receive table service - MartJack may have been unaware of this.

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
2,134 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurant price ripoffs in Rome

I lived in Rome for 10 years and although I speak fluent Italian I can no longer count the number of times I got ripped off in bars and cafes all over town. Unfortunately the Spanish stepa is one of the most expensive areas of Rome, but this does not justify paying 12 euros for water! I think as tourist we are a running target for doubling the price where possible. Just beaware that sitting at the table costs almost double, than if you were to stand at the bar and always ask for the receipt at bars etc ( if they dont print any receipt they dont have to declare)!

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,423 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurant price ripoffs in Rome

I'm sorry Agatha,

I agree with the O.P. Not about 'getting own back' but that it's wrong to charge 12 Euro for water when the same is available in the shop next door at EUR 3.

There are a lot of tourist rip-offs in Rome, far more than N.Y. or London IMO.

Yes the $ is weak, and eveything for U.S. visitor is expensive but

a Euro rip-off is a Euro rip-off full stop, just bewcause an American is complaining does not invalidate it.

On the plus side, if you like wine, some very nice local wine is sold in restaurants at less than EUR12 a litre! So when in Rome, drink wine not water :-)

Stoofer

Canterbury, United...
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurant price ripoffs in Rome

This is one of those cases where contrasting views can both be valid. I am not disputing the fact that 12 euros for a bottle of water is excessive but the question is: where?

The translation of each item into US$ indicates that the impact of conversion rates hasn't quite reached the OP's mindset.He is still relating prices in Europe with those in the US. It's obvious that you can't do that. People are flocking from Europe to the US behaving like kids in a candy store with some items costing half of what they are in their home countries.

Of course one has to try to avoid tourist traps. But try a bistro for a drink on the Champs Élysées in Paris and you'll find eye-popping prices.

Hagerstown, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,157 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurant price ripoffs in Rome

"So when in Rome, drink wine not water"

THAT is the best lesson to be learned here!

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,423 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Restaurant price ripoffs in Rome

I know what you are saying Lovetrav, but I'm not sure that is the point.

Yes $ calculation is meaningless, but if a cafe charges 12EUR instead of EUR6 (the going rate in rome) then it's a rip off regardless of where you are. You should not be paying EUR12 for water in Rome, that's it, IMO.

The fact that prices are higher in Deux Maggots or cheaper along

the Khao San Road is immaterial.

Stoofer