We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for unusual/unique tours in Rome & or...

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Discovery Bay, CA
Level Contributor
107 posts
Save Topic
Looking for unusual/unique tours in Rome & or...

I need everyone's expertise here...I am searching for a reputable travel company that has unique tours in Rome, Naples/Sorrento area. I would like to explore above and beyond the usual touristy areas.

Any help would be so appreciated.

ciao, michelle

Clinton Township...
Level Contributor
90 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for unusual/unique tours in Rome & or...

Don't know about travel companies as I usually do the travel planning myself, but for something different in Rome try the

Cappuccin Crypts at the church of Santa Maria delle Immacolata Concezione on Via Veneto, near Piazza Barberini.

exseminarians.com/rome/…Concezione.htm

Doesn't take long, its easy to squeeze in.

Kev

Level Contributor
2,852 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for unusual/unique tours in Rome & or...

Try www.contextrome.com. They can customize a tour for you based on your interests. They also have an office in Naples.

Maryland
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for unusual/unique tours in Rome & or...

Michelle: Your best bet is yourself!! Look over the available books to find your interests and invest in a Europass. You won't regret it! Have a great trip!!

Chatham...
Level Contributor
73 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for unusual/unique tours in Rome & or...

There is a little travel company based in Napoli, called Rising Incoming Organizer--R.I.O. You can find them at www.riorimontitours.com. It is run by a family called Rimonti--two brothers and a sister. They will customize a tour for you, or you can chose from one of theirs. These people were born in Napoli, and their father was a tour guide before them. They have planned tours for me for the last six years. One time we visited the underground aquaduct in Napoli--very unusual. Cerveteri is an interesting place just north of Rome, where you can wander through Etruscan burial mounds. There is an underground temple of Mitreos, and a museum where they house fertility statues and offerings-- strange little out of the way places, in Caserta. They hooked me up with a talented sculptress/ceramicist in Benevento where I stayed for three days and learned technique. Tell them what you want, or what kind of experience you are looking for, and they will provide it.

Discovery Bay, CA
Level Contributor
107 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for unusual/unique tours in Rome & or...

Wow! Some great ideas here...Keep 'em coming. I appreciate the responses, and will consider all the posibilities.

Rome
Level Contributor
95 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for unusual/unique tours in Rome & or...

for private tours you could also try:

www.romaround.it

used by some friends visiting me last year and they were very happy

www.eternaltourist.com

no direct experience but i have read good reviews (also on other forums)

Discovery Bay, CA
Level Contributor
107 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for unusual/unique tours in Rome & or...

Thanks for the ideas, Contextrome.com has some fabulous sounding tours w/ educated docents....should be fun. What did we do before the internet?

Berkshire, UK
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking for unusual/unique tours in Rome & or...

For Naples/Sorrento/Amalfi Coast area try www.uniquecostiera.com