We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Assisi and Oriveto

Sterling, Virginia
Level Contributor
379 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Assisi and Oriveto

Hello all,

A friend of mine told me that these two are beautiful places to see - has anyone been to these places - can someone let me know what is special about these cities (I am assuming they are citiies) and whether or not they are worth visiting.

Thx

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
168 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Assisi and Oriveto

Wonderful towns!!

Orvieto is a little town that have a wonderful cathedral! Look the phots around internet. And have a nice center town. There is also "Pozzo (well) di San Patrizio" to see. it's a little town so in half day you can see all.

Assisi also is a little town but the historical center is beautiful and very interesting. There are a lots of beautiful churches to see. The most important is the basilic of san Francesco. Wonderful! In Assisi you can spend a day, walking in the old streets. It's a place to see!!

Both towns are beautiful, but Assisi have more to see.

http://www.assisiweb.com/index_en.html

http://www.orvietoturismo.it/index.php

Sterling, Virginia
Level Contributor
379 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Assisi and Oriveto

Thank you so much for your quick response.

Can you also tell me how far is it from Rome , and how much would the cheapest transportation cost to the town

thx

coxs creek, kentucky
Level Contributor
4,310 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Assisi and Oriveto

I have not been to Orvieto yet but it is definitely on my list of must see places in Italy.

I did go to Assisi last November and I absolutely fell in love with it. The Basilica of course is magnificent--probably one of the most beautiful ones in the world. But the town itself is so intriguing !! The narrow streets that wind ever upwards, the "feeling" that you get when being there, exceptionally warm people,views to die for at every turn,and so much more. Being in Assisi, to me, was like being in a dream,but knowing that it was real made it all the better. I don't think I will ever be able to put into words the emotions that I felt there. Sitting outside of the Temple of Minerva on a lovely piazza, just marvelling at the beauty of it all is a memory that I will always cherish. Accidentally stumbling across some men picking olives, and the smiles that they gave to us for our photos was priceless. If you can go there--go there. But hopefully not just for a daytrip ! We spent two days and I would have loved to have had at least one more day!! Or more !!! :-)

Orvieto, too is a hill town which is a good reason to go there !! I don't think I have ever heard anyone say that they didn't fall in love with Orvieto and her Duomo.

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
168 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Assisi and Oriveto

from Termini station:

Orieto by train is about 1h, cost about 15 euros

Assisi by train about 2h / 3h (depend the trains), about 15 euros

here timetables and prices

http://www.trenitalia.com/en/index.html

United States
Level Contributor
1,862 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Assisi and Oriveto

We are taking a tour to both places. If you go to www.viator.com, you can read up on the tour and cost. Put tours from Rome and it will show you a list of tours available, this being one of them. We thought this would be the easiest way to get to see both in one day.

Orange County, CA
Level Contributor
115 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Assisi and Oriveto

We went to Orvieto in July because it was easier to get to from Rome. If you go there, you must do some wine tasting. Some of the restaurants use the Etruscan caves as wine cellars. It is a nice day trip, but you will only want to spend 4-5 hours there, including a leisurely lunch.

perth
Level Contributor
1,777 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Assisi and Oriveto

Oh ! do not miss either. Orvieto is perched high up on a flattish hill top. It can be reached from the station by a bus or by a rail car that goes up the side of the hill. DO go down the well , and also see the Cathedral. Also, take the guided tour into the underground caverns, ( you canno go alone).

Assisi is magnificient ...go to the Assisi Forum ( also the Orvieto one ) for lots of good advice.

I'd take at least a day for Orvieto and minimum 2 for Assisi, but go to both ,even for a day. lennyb

8. Re: Assisi and Oriveto

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:18 am, September 07, 2009