We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trips from Rome?

Australia
7 posts
Save Topic
Day trips from Rome?

Does anyone know of any companies that run good day trips from Rome? Or which cites I could easily travel to (return) via bus/train in a day? Thanks!

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,852 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trips from Rome?

Do a google search on Orvieto, Spoleto, Viterbo, Tivoli, Ostia Antica, Anzio and Nettuno for starters. They all seem to be popular and accessible from Rome. Romecabs.com will take you in luxury but the train/bus will get you to most if not all of these places.

United States
Level Contributor
1,859 posts
273 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trips from Rome?

We booked two tours with www.viator.com. One is for the shuttle bus to Pompeii for the day and the other is a day trip to Orvieto/Assisi. They have other tours listed as well. Good Luck.

Ireland
Level Contributor
316 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trips from Rome?

I have booked viator for the shuttle to pompeii and also booked a day trip with them to Florence

Australia
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trips from Rome?

Thanks heaps for those suggestions, I'll look into those. Cheers!

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
2,724 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trips from Rome?

Another tour company is Appian Line.

You could easily travel by bus/train to Ostia Antica, more info

www.italyheaven.co.uk/rome/ostiaantica.html

some suggested day trips are also listed on this page

http://www.italyheaven.co.uk/daytrips.html

areas such as Frascati (up in the castelli romani) are beautiful to visit....great place to eat! Castelli Romani are popular with us from holding our wedding reception to visiting on a weekend to eat and have a stroll.

italyheaven.co.uk/lazio/castelliromani.html

Finally can also suggest Anzio/Nettuno...of course depends on what you are looking for in a day trip...and time of year but here is the info

http://www.italyheaven.co.uk/lazio/anzio.html

You have many options, easy to do independantly or by tour..

Australia
7 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trips from Rome?

That sounds great, I'll definately have a look at those. Thanks a lot for that! I guess now the hard part wii be deciding which ones to do!

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
2,724 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trips from Rome?

Goodluck and if you have the questions do ask..ciao

Nottingham
Level Contributor
54 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trips from Rome?

Get up early and get the train from Termini to Fondi-Sperlonga and then a very short bus (or cab) 15mins to Sperlonga. There you can have a wonderful day around the medieaval old town or a lovely day on great blue flag beaches and have a choice of good restaurants for

lunch. Its a great place where all the italians holiday (so avoid Aug if you want to miss the crowd) Trains every hour about 5 euros.

Great little museum and walks. Refresher after Rome

Michigan, USA
Level Contributor
214 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day trips from Rome?

I highly recommend Orvieto - only about 1 hour 20 minutes from Rome by train. You can easily do this on your own, rather than taking a tour. We took the funicular half way up, and then took a bus to the top. All is very easy to do. Once there, see the Cathedral - take special time to look at the remarkable facade. If you have some extra time, enjoy a glass of Orvieto wine while admiring it.

Also, the tourist information center is on the main square - you can set up a tour of the caves as well - very interesting. The town itself has some wonderful ceramic shops.

Another easy trip to do independently is Pompeii.

Have fun!

10. Re: Day trips from Rome?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 pm, September 07, 2009