We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ostia Antica or Pompeii

Ostia Antica or Pompeii

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:55 pm, March 05, 2013
Likely To Sell Out
Vatican Museums Skip the Line Tour...
23,437 Reviews
from $82.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Sistine Chapel VIP Private Viewing...
538 Reviews
from $412.70*
Special Offer
Ancient Rome and Colosseum Skip the...
11,815 Reviews
from $60.80*
$67.50
Likely To Sell Out
Rome Colosseum Underground Chambers...
2,919 Reviews
from $123.80*
New York
Level Contributor
1,809 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ostia Antica or Pompeii

Hi,

people ask about Pompeii and Ostia Antica here often.

There are differing opinions(of course)

I've been to Pompeii and I can tell you that it is amazing. For me I wanted to see the place that I'd heard about my whole life and learned about in school.

Pompeii can be reached from Rome in about 2-2 1/2 hours. You can take an early train to Naples then connect to the local train to the Pompeii scavi stop. There are people here who can give you exact directions. Many, many people report here on having done this in a day trip happily and successfully.

Ostia antica is a closer day trip to Rome. People report that the ruins are in better condition (but in fairness they weren't destroyed by a volcanic eruption). I haven't been to Ostia Antica yet, but I would like to on a future trip.

I was talking to a women I work with yesterday about Italy. She said that she has her children pick something they want to see whenever they travel to keep them interested. Your daughter has already done this. Indulge her. You won't be sorry.

Mentioned in this post
Pompeii
Pompeii
Province of Naples, Italy
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Naples
Naples
Italy
Italy
Europe
Johnston, Iowa
Level Contributor
267 posts
300 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ostia Antica or Pompeii

I have not been to Pompeii, but we did go to Ostia when we were visiting Rome last fall. With only 5 days in Rome, my personal choice would be to skip Pompii. You can get to Ostia Antica very easily from Rome via metro and train. We loved Ostia, by the way. The ruins are amazing and it was such a nice quiet break from bustling Rome.

No matter what you decide, enjoy your trip!

Mentioned in this post
Pompeii
Pompeii
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Melbourne
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Ostia Antica or Pompeii

Hi there, I have been to Ostia Antica and not Pompeii. I agree with the former poster, you should see what you've always wanted to see.

The other things are true though, Ostia Antica is a half hour train ride away. Very simple to find and really enjoyable (if your interested in our opinion see blog at: http://europe.jameshart.com.au/Site/Blog/7D9ACF6E-7605-4293-BBC3-A27E51A45C88.html)ignore the first paragraph which i attempted to write in italian.

The other factor to consider is that if your daughter has been learning about Pompeii and knows its history, you will enjoy that far more than a huge field of ruins you know nothing about! Knowing about something means you always enjoy it more.

Mentioned in this post
Pompeii
Pompeii
4. Re: Ostia Antica or Pompeii

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

5. Re: Ostia Antica or Pompeii

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
133 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Ostia Antica or Pompeii

sponky,

I have been to both places and love them both. Understanding your daughter's reasons to see Pompei, I must admit that nearly everything she learned about roman culture, buildings, streets etc. also apply for Ostia Antica. She will not see the spots she knows from the studies/photos before, but she will not be disappointed at all (like all of you).

In fact, from a teacher's point of view (actually, I am not a teacher), it could be more interesting to discuss the differences and the similarities between OA and P (some kind of transferring the knowledge form one part to another - sorry, I am not a expert in this field as well).

OA is definitely less touristy (you say so?) compared to P and you can reach it easily with 30min. P is famous (maybe just bcz of the death of the city), but OA is _very_ nice.

Obviously, to see an entire roman city is a major item for you, but with only five days in Rome, go to OA, spend 1 hour travel time (compared to 5-6 (or more), i.e. quasi an entire day (plus the aftermath the other day)) and enjoy it. P is a good reason to return to Italy (but you will collect more of them in Rome :-)

BTW, when I was recently in OA, the kiosk on the ground was closed, so you better bring some water with you.

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Italy
Italy
Europe
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
94 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ostia Antica or Pompeii

If you're against taking the trains to Pompeii, there are tour companies that will take you from Rome to the excavation site. DH has always wanted to go to Pompeii so we are going to take the trains there when we go in October. I would encourage your daughter's desire to learn and head to Pompeii.

Mentioned in this post
Pompeii
Pompeii
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Kissimmee, Florida
Level Contributor
229 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ostia Antica or Pompeii

We also debated for the exact same reasons you are stating. It was our 14 yr. old son who really wanted to see Pompeii. Once we started reading about trips and looking at reviews, we convinced him to see Ostia Antica (plus we all wanted to swim in the ocean there since we are from FL).

The ruins were accessable completely at Ostia Antica and we had all day to explore since it was only 30 minutes from Rome. He was crawling in holes, and climbing all the stairs. Our 14 yr. old loved it, and while it was not covered by a volcano, it was once a very large port city. It is in remarkably good shape. There is a small museum and cafe, too. Maybe have her help do some of the research on this?

-Deb

Mentioned in this post
Pompeii
Pompeii
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
37,195 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ostia Antica or Pompeii

Hello,

I have been to both sites and absolutely love them.

Pompeii will be a full day excursion. You should start very early (7am-ish) and spend the day at the ruins. The trip itself is very easy. Take the high speed train from Rome to Naples. Transfer to the commuter train "circumvesuviana". Get off at the Pompeii scavi stop. About a 3 minute walk will get you to the entrance of the site. Take water and wear comfortable shoes.

For Ostia, you can see the site and be back in Rome in the same afternoon. The site is smaller but less crowded. There are lots of trees and it is a great place to picnic. Take metro line B to the piramide stop, change to the Lido train in the Ostiense station. Get off at the Ostia Antica stop. Walk across the bridge and continue up the street to the parking lot, then turn left to enter the site. You can be there in about half an hour.

As to which to choose, that's a tough one. If you tell people you went to Pompeii they will immediatly know what you are talking about. The site is larger and (to me) has a more interesting history. If your daughter has been studying Pompeii, then she might get more out of it than Ostia. On the other hand, with only 5 days to see Rome, spending 1 whole day away would not be something I would choose to do. It's a tough call.

Regardless of what you choose to do, you will enjoy your choice. They are both great sites.

Donna

Mentioned in this post
Pompeii
Pompeii
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Naples
Naples
Ostiense
Ostiense
44 Reviews
Rome, Italy
10. Re: Ostia Antica or Pompeii