We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Italy in November

Alabama
3 posts
Save Topic
Italy in November

HI All,

Has anyone gone to Italy during the month of November. From

what I have read this is the month for the most rain. Would I be

making a mistake if I decide to travel in November?

Thanks

Turin, Italy
Destination Expert
for Turin
Level Contributor
577 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Italy in November

It depends on where you want to go. I've been several times in Sicily in november and the weather was great. In Piemonte it is often very humid and foggy. And again if you want to visit museums and monument it doesn't really matter.

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
2,006 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Italy in November

I've been to Tuscany and Rome in November. We had all kinds of weather. We drove from Milan to Montecatini and drove through a little bit of snow! But once in the Tuscany region the weather was fine - some days a little bit colder than others. We did have rain for a few hours in San Gimignano and it was cold and windy in Volterra. The weather in Rome was beautiful, I think it rained for maybe 1/2 hour. The weather is variable in November but I much prefer to go that time of year regardless. Enjoy!

Grand Rapids, MN
Level Contributor
333 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Italy in November

We went in November five years ago and are going back this November. I liked that the lines were not long (not at all, in fact) and you could walk anywhere without getting warm. WE were in Tuscany for three days and had 60 degree weather and sun. When we moved on to Rome we had 60 degree and drizzle one day and sunny the next. Up by the Cinque De Terre we had overcast skies.

All in all, it was in the 60's and pretty pleasant. We went to Paris afterward and it was colder and more rainy. But who knows!!! Weather is so unpredictable!!!

Good luck if you do go in November. We will be there the 18-26 and are hoping for decent weather as well!!!!

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
2,160 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Italy in November

Off season can be delightful -- less people, less waiting. Remember the old phrase: there's no bad weather, just poor clothing choices!

rockville centre, ny
Level Contributor
1,499 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Italy in November

I love Rome in November...been there four different times.

Last November was unseasonably warm and lovely.

There are no crowds or lines.

I was there in April and what a difference.

Many more people but not unbearably so; still I like having Rome to "myself" in November.

Kathy

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
133 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Italy in November

Will be in Rome end of October and expect a bit of rain, i.e. some showers over a day (but not on all days). Thus have a plan B for this like museums, huge churches (there are enough :-) etc.

The easiest way to find out that it might rain soon is taking a look at the hawkers: Do they promote umbrellas?

To summarize: It is _never_ a mistake to travel to Rome. Go there and enjoy the spirit of the city!

coxs creek, kentucky
Level Contributor
4,310 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Italy in November

We were there last November in Florence,Assisi,Siena and Rome. There was very little rain and the temperatures seemed perfect for all those long days of sightseeing.

We were also there last March and the weather was cooler and more rain. Also there were many,many more tourists in March.

Just be prepared for cooler and wetter weather,just in case. Remember what SoloRoma said--it is all about the clothes!!!

Have a wonderful trip !!

Johnston, Iowa
Level Contributor
254 posts
294 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Italy in November

We were there last November (11/5-11/15) and as mentioned above, the weather was quite nice. We had only one day of rain, and we made that a museum day and then in the late afternoon/evening we went out to enjoy rainy Rome. The lines/crowds were not a factor for us at all and the hotel rates are lower - there is definitely something said for going in the off season!

9. Re: Italy in November

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:19 pm, September 06, 2009