We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rome topography

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
dallas,texas
Level Contributor
82 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Rome topography

My curiosity is getting the best of me when I read of "the hills of Rome". Visiting there soon and I wonder if it will be as "hilly" walking in Rome, as it is in San Fransisco, USA????? I do hope the answer will be, "no". Thanks for sharing your knowledge, Mary.

Hagerstown, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,157 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rome topography

Rest assured the answer is "no." Not even close.

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
231 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Rome topography

No, Rome's not flat like Sacramento, but it is, as the other poster said, nowhere near San Francisco, maybe 1/3 as high and steep as San Fran. , maybe. Enjoy your trip!

:^)

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
133 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Rome topography

Mary,

like jjkdc wrote, Rome is by far not as hilly as SanFran and - more important - it is not that chilly in summer either.

The problem to walk in Rome (if any) is more related to the distance you walk (especially when trying to omit public transport).

Have fun!

Tucson, AZ
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Rome topography

Rome itself is pretty flat. The hills surround Rome. We are leaving Thursday to go there.

Dublin
Level Contributor
1,431 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rome topography

Rome is yes built on seven hills but with the passing of time the areas in between have just filled in. A very good idea of this can be had by looking at the church (and I can't remember the name) on Via Nazionale. Standing on Via Nazionale you will look down towards this church sitting on what was the original street level.

6. Re: Rome topography

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:24 am, September 03, 2009