We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Colosseum underground, belvedere/panoramic, tickets

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
45,195 posts
19 reviews
120 helpful votes
Colosseum underground, belvedere/panoramic, tickets

The process has changed again regarding booking dates so this is the latest updated information.

Please read the entire post before asking a question.

1) How do I book the colosseum underground and/or Panoramic tour?

You can book these tours online at the official website.

https:/…colosseo-e-shop.cfm

Once on this page choose "buy now" to see all tour/ticket options. For entry tickets choose **Colosseum, Roman Forum And Palatine Ordinary admission**

For Underground and/or Belvedere (panoramic) tours choose: **Colosseum, Roman Forum And Palatine Ordinary Admission + Underground and panoramic view.

This section has changed the most. There are now 11 categories for tours. You are not able to purchase from all categories as some are set up for those who will be bringing their own guide. If you wish to book an official tour you will use these categories:

If you wish to book just the underground tour you choose:

**Colosseum, Roman Forum And Palatine Regular Entrance + Underground English Tour**

You can also book this tour in Spanish or Italian for the same price. Be aware that if you book an alternate language tour the tour will be given in that language and NOT in English.

If you wish to book the belvedere (panoramic) tour you will choose:

**Colosseum, Roman Forum And Palatine Regular Entrance + Panoramic View English Tour**

You can also book this tour in Spanish or Italian for the same price. Be aware that if you book an alternate language tour the tour will be given in that language and NOT in English.

If you wish to book the combined Underground AND Belvedere (panoramic) tour you will choose:

**Colosseum, Roman Forum And Palatine Regular Entrance + Undergrounds And Panoramic View English Tour**

DO NOT CHOOSE any of the options other than these, those are for official third party guides, not those looking to book an individual guided tour. It is very important that you choose only one of the categories listed above. If you purchase one of the wrong tours you will lose that money and not have a tour waiting for you.

Once you choose the tour you want - click "details" then scroll down to the calendar. Forward the calendar to the month needed and choose your date. Scroll down some more to see the times available. Times in green represent the number of tickets left for that specific time slot, so if there is a 1 next to a time slot that means there is only 1 ticket left for that time slot.

Once you choose your time, choose the number of tickets you need from each category. Anyone 25 or over will choose the "full entrance" ticket for 29 euros.

If you're an EU citizens under 25, with proof, you can buy the "reduced ticket+tour".

Everyone under 18 gains free entry and can choose "free ticket+tour".

If you have a child under 12 they qualify for free entry and a free tour so book "free ticket+free tour". Again, you'll need to bring proof of age, such as passports to prove ALL ages for free tickets.

Once you choose your tickets and put them in your cart you will usually see a "warning" or "error" message pop up on the right, just ignore this and it will go away. Once you have all the tickets you need click on "check out".

Before you start the booking process be sure to notify your bank of the purchase. Have them enroll you in the 3rd layer protection plan. For Visa it's "verified by visa" and for Mastercard it's called "securecode". Without these protections the purchase most likely won't go through.

The tours will include:

Underground: arena floor, underground, any permanent exhibitions and the Valadier Terrace.

Panoramic (Belvedere): third, fourth and fifth rings, with any permanent exhibitions.

Combined tour: will include arena floor, underground, third, fourth and fifth rings.

All tours take 75-90 minutes.

**2) How far in advance can I book the underground tour?

This procedure has changed several times since the beginning of the year. As of this printing they are releasing tickets in batches both monthly and quarterly.

For regular entry tickets the release dates are as follows:

**QUARTERLY OPENING JULY-AUGUST-SEPTEMBER 2019 Tuesday, May 21st at 3 pm (italian time): and Wednesday, May 22nd at 3 pm (italian time):

For the monthly release the dates will be the first Tuesday of the month so June 4, July 2 and August 6 all at 3pm Rome time.

Quarterly ticket presale for October, November and december will be July 23rd and 24th at 3pm Rome time. The monthly sale releases will be the first Tuesday of every month, September 3, October 1, November 5.

FOR THE UNDERGROUND AND/OR BELVEDERE/PANORAMIC TOURS

**Thursday, May 23rd at 3 pm (italian time):

**********The pre-sale for the underground, the belvedere and the combined underground belvedere tour, in quarterly availability for the months of July, August and September will be available online only.********

This is for the quarterly release. For the monthly release the dates will be the first Thursday of the month so June 6, July 4 and August 1 all at 3pm Rome time. These will be individual tour releases and NOT the combo tour.

Presale for the underground and/or belvedere/panoramic tour for October, November and December will be July 25th at 3pm Rome time.

Monthly tour releases should be the first Thursday of the month but the official website doesn't mention this.

3) How many tickets can I book at a time?

You can only book 6 tour tickets at a time and only 6 tickets per tour time. If you book more than that they will cancel the transaction and you'll be without tickets. If you need more than 6 tickets you must use more than one transaction and different email addresses.

4) Is the tour ticket all I need in order to visit the colosseum underground?

Yes. Tours are now being sold with entry tickets so one purchase is all you need to make. This purchase will be for a specific time and date so pick the best option for your itinerary.

5) Can I book a tour on Free Sunday?

No, you cannot book on a free day and there are no tours given on free days. The free days have changed from being just Sundays. They are now

9th of May

5th of June

29th of June

23rd of September

4th of October

4th of November

22th of November

18th of December

6) So how much will the underground tour cost for my child under 12?

Kids under 12 will tour for free and gain free entry to the site. There is an option for free tour/free ticket. You'll choose that. It will cost a booking fee and nothing else. You must bring proof of age for your child. For non-EU citizens that will be their passport.

7)Can I purchase free or reduced tickets online?

Yes, you can book free or reduced cost tours online but you cannot print these tickets. Once at the site you must prove you qualify for the discounts or you will lose your slots. Bring passports for proof of age and citizenship.

8) Can I print all my tickets at home?

Maybe. They have been allowing some tour tickets to be printed and others not. If you get a PDF attached to your confirmation email you can print at home. If not, just pick up your tickets onsite. You will still bypass the long ticket lines. Everyone booking a tour will use the "stern gate" entry around the site of the colosseum. There won't be any type of line. Arrive about 20-30 minutes prior to get checked in and to have vouchers changed to actual tickets if needed. Free or reduced tickets cannot be printed at home and you must bring proof you qualify for the discount with you.

9)How do I book a tour if using the romapass for free entry or if I have already purchased entry tickets.

You will choose "free entry + tour" on the selection page. You will pay for the tour and the reservation fee but not for entry.

10) Do timed entry tickets, tour tickets or the romapass allow me to bypass the long lines?

Yes, all three allow you to bypass the very long **ticket** lines. Everyone will still go through a security check but now they have three different areas for that. Those who have booked official tours will go to the stern gate entrance. Get there no more than 30 minutes prior as they won't let you in before that. For those with entry tickets or romapass go to the pre-purchased line. You'll go through security, which can get backed up, but it won't take nearly as long as those who are waiting to buy tickets.

11)How long are my entry tickets valid for?

Entry tickets are valid for 2 consecutive days but allow only one entry per site. You can visit the forum/palatine hill (considered a single site) on one day and the colosseum on another day or you can visit both on the same day. You cannot enter, exit and reenter using the same ticket. If you book tour tickets which include entry tickets you won't be able to enter the sites before your scheduled tour time. These entry tickets are "timed" tickets, timed to your tour. That's when they start to be valid.

12)Should I take a tour of the regular areas as well as the underground and/or upper levels tour?

I've never found this necessary. The information on the tours is the same, it's about the structure, the difference is where you visit. You can easily tour the rest of the colosseum on your own after the underground tour is over.

13)Is the tour appropriate for everyone?

There are some very steep, narrow steps leading to the third, fourth and fifth tiers so keep that in mind when booking. Also, smaller children tend to get bored on these tours. There are no age restrictions on this tour.

14)Is the underground area claustrophobic?

I don't find it so and I'm mildly claustrophobic. There is enough open space that you don't feel enclosed.

15) Can I stay inside the colosseum after the tour is over

Yes, you can stay until the site closes. You cannot remain in the underground area or upper levels areas without your guide but the rest of the colosseum is open to the general public and you can stay until closing if you so desire.

16)If I take the tour but want to visit the main areas of the colosseum on another day can I do that?

Yes, but you'll need another entry ticket to do it. You only get one entry per ticket so if you take the tour that will count as your one entry.

17) If I book the tour do I need to book anything else?

No, the tours now come with entry tickets included in the price. Just book the time and date you wish to visit.

18) The official site is only showing tours through the end of next month. Does that mean they aren't doing them?

No, they are doing them. They release tickets on a quarterly basis as well as a monthly basis. Right now they release tickets on the first Monday of each month at 9am Rome time for the following month.

19) I booked my tour online but it doesn't give me an option to print at home. Did I do something wrong?

If you chose any of the reduced or free tickets you will not be able to print at home. You must show proof of age to get these discounted/free tickets.

20) Why can't I print tour, reduced or free tickets at home?

You cannot print tour tickets at home because you must check in for the tour and find out the meeting place (it changes based on how many tours are going at the same time). You cannot print free or reduced tickets at home because you must show proof that you qualify for the discounts. There have been reports of people being able to print their tour tickets at home. If you do get a pdf it will tell you the meeting place for your tour. There have been many reports that the information is incorrect so I suggest going to the events counter to check in and make sure of the correct meeting place.

21) My transaction was "refused" when I tried to purchase tickets. Can you help me?

Always notify your credit card company before trying to make a foreign transaction. Be sure you are enrolled in either "verified by visa" or "securecode". If you've done this and the transaction was refused try using a different browser on your computer or a different credit card. If it's still refused you may need to call or email to see what the issue might be. If you tried to book more than 6 tickets your transaction will be refused so be sure to not exceed the limit.

+ 39 06 399 67 700

22) I am a teacher (or a student). Can I get free or reduced admission?

Yes, you can book a reduced or free ticket but you must be able to show you qualify for the discounts. If you cannot you will forfeit your purchase. For other free or reduced conditions please see this:

23) Does the romapass include the underground tour?

No, the romapass is a sites entry pass that doesn't include any tours at any of the sites. If you wish to take a tour you'll need to book that separately.

24) How do I bypass the lines at the colosseum if I already have entry tickets or have booked a tour?

They have several new entry points for those with tickets or tours. Which you use is determined by which ticket or tour you have. There is the regular ticket gate, for those without a ticket needing to purchase one. There is another gate "gate for individual visitors" which is for those with "timed" tickets, audio/video guides, those who already have a ticket purchased at the forum/palatine hill or those using the romapass. The stern gate is for those on the Underground and/or Panoramic (belvedere) tour and those with private guides.

25) There is a night tour of the underground area. Is this different than the day time tours?

Yes, this is considered a special event. What that means is that entry is included in the cost but this entry is only for the colosseum night tour. This is a fully guided tour, you cannot wander around the site on your own. It doesn't include entry to the forum/palatine hill. It's a great way to extend your touring day but if you wish to visit the forum/palatine hill you'll need to book a regular 14 euros entry ticket. In the past the third tier and above were not included in the night tour.

26)If using the romapass for entry is it possible to enter the colosseum earlier to look around before the tour?

Yes, you can enter earlier than your tour. You must go to the official website and book a time for entry when using the romapass. This can be any time before the start of your tour. You cannot leave and then come back so don't get there too early and leave or you'll need to re-pay for admission when you check in for the tour.

27) I booked my tickets, received a Unicredit confirmation but haven't received anything from coopculture. What should I do?

First, check your spam/junk folder. A lot of times the confirmation ends up in there. If you don't see it there, wait 10 minutes then check again. If you still don't see it your transaction may have been cancelled for some reason. If you can check to see if the transaction went through on your credit card then you should email coopculture to have them resend the confirmation email. If it didn't go through you will need to try to rebuy these tickets.

It's always important to let your credit card company know you're making a foreign transaction so they don't block it for fraud. Also, be sure the card you're using has the 3rd layer protections. For Visa that's the Verified by Visa, for Mastercard it's called Secure code.

If the confirmation still doesn't come through yet the transaction went through on your card you can simply print out your payment email and take it with you. They will be able to find your reservation with information from the payment verification form.

Coopculture is still changing their booking procedures in an effort to eliminate the wait times at the gates as well as making more tours available to individuals. As the information changes I will do my best to keep this updated.

ENTRY TICKET INFORMATION:

All tickets are now timed entry tickets and are not valid before the time you book so they cannot be used prior to that at the forum (as of time of this printing). This may change but for now you must use them first at the colosseum.

Don't show up more than 30 minutes or so before your booked time, they won't let you in.

See section 2 of this post for release dates through the end of the year.

If you buy regular tickets and wish to add the SUPER feature to them for the forum is will cost an additional 6 euros per person. This is not available online and must be added onsite.

Donna

720 replies to this topic
Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
113 posts
1. Re: Colosseum underground, belvedere/panoramic, tickets

Thank you for this, much appreciated.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
45,195 posts
19 reviews
120 helpful votes
2. Re: Colosseum underground, belvedere/panoramic, tickets

Sorry, not sure why the link didn't go through. Here is the official booking link:

Donna

6 posts
1 review
3. Re: Colosseum underground, belvedere/panoramic, tickets

Thank you so much!!!!!!!!

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
45,195 posts
19 reviews
120 helpful votes
4. Re: Colosseum underground, belvedere/panoramic, tickets

Happy to help.

SE Michigan
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
5. Re: Colosseum underground, belvedere/panoramic, tickets

I would prefer the guided tour option but I see that it releases after the timed entry tickets. I'm not sure if I'll be able to get online and try to book my date at 3pm Italian time, more likely not until 5pm Italian time. I would hate to lose the timed entry option because I held out for belvedere tour. I'm trying to book for July 20 or 21. Any thoughts on my odds for getting tour tickets 2-3 hours after they release?

Also I have a 10 and 14 yr old with me and wondering if the tour will be interesting for them? If not, then it makes the decision easier and I'll just get timed entry tickets....

United States
Level Contributor
4,461 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
6. Re: Colosseum underground, belvedere/panoramic, tickets

lillieloulou:

If you are trying for the Belvedere tour specifically - I think you probably should find availability even 2-3 hours after release. OTOH, if you are trying for a tour which includes the Underground - I doubt those would be available.

Note - they are making some other changes with this release so they may change the number of allotted tickets for the different options. So what has happened in the past might not be a good indication of what will happen with this release.

>>I would hate to lose the timed entry option <<

There is ZERO chance on missing out on timed entry tickets.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
45,195 posts
19 reviews
120 helpful votes
7. Re: Colosseum underground, belvedere/panoramic, tickets

There really is no way for us to know if your kids will find it interesting or not. They do go over the history of the structure so if your kids are interested in history they should find it fascinating.

Donna

Hoboken, New Jersey
Level Contributor
73 posts
48 reviews
39 helpful votes
8. Re: Colosseum underground, belvedere/panoramic, tickets

Hi Donna,

Thanks so much for this helpful information!

I am looking to do a tour which includes a guide at the Colosseum but also the Roman Forum and Palantine Hill. I assume this means purchasing the "Colosseum, Roman Forum And Palatine Regular Entrance + English Tour (3 H)" ticket. I was also interested in seeing the panoramic view and/or the underground, but is that only available with purchase of a separate ticket? It seems there is no ticket that combines the panoramic and/or underground with the guided tour of the Forum & Palantine (unless I'm missing it - there's just so many options). From what I understand you can't go to the higher rings of the Colosseum without that specific ticket - is that correct?

SE Michigan
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
9. Re: Colosseum underground, belvedere/panoramic, tickets

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll try for the underground tour as that seems the most interesting and will do general timed entry tickets if I don't get the tour.

United States
Level Contributor
4,461 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
10. Re: Colosseum underground, belvedere/panoramic, tickets

copperboom:

Based on the current times of tours - you would have to visit the Colosseum on two separate days and buy two entry tickets in order to take the 3 hour tour (yes, the tour route includes the Roman Forum and Palatine Hill) and the Underground and Panoramic tour. The way the tour times are currently oriented, there is no iteration where you can go on the 3 hour tour and make it back in time for the Underground + Panoramic tour (need to show up 30 minutes before tour start time). Also, the reverse also applies - you cannot take an early Underground and Panoramic tour and then have enough time to go on the 3 hour tour.

>>From what I understand you can't go to the higher rings of the Colosseum without that specific ticket<<

This is answered in the original post of this thread. Yes, the only way to see the 3 upper levels is to go on the Panoramic / Belvedere tour.

Reply to: Colosseum underground, belvedere/panoramic, tickets
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted