We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rome to Montepulciano by car

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
156 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Rome to Montepulciano by car

Hi... we will be arriving at Rome airport (FCO) and were planning on taking train to chiusi to rent car to drive to Montepulciano. I had a friend suggest that i should just get the car upon arrival in Rome airport and drive to montepulciano. Can anyone who has done this drive tell me if it’s easy and mostly highway? My last trip to Italy i rented car at Florence airport and drove to Montepulciano and when though the first 10 minutes getting out of Florence made me a little nervous, i survived. Didn’t know how difficult it was getting out of Rome. Thanks so much

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Fiumicino Airport
Fiumicino Airport
Fiumicino, Italy
Montepulciano
Montepulciano
Province of Siena, Italy
Italy
Italy
Europe
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Likely To Sell Out
Skip the Line: Vatican Museums, St...
23,677 Reviews
from $73.10*
Skip the Line: Ancient Rome and...
11,941 Reviews
from $57.80*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: Sistine Chapel Private...
547 Reviews
from $389.10*
11 replies to this topic
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
32,721 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rome to Montepulciano by car

Route planner www.viamichelin.com

www.discovertuscany.com

Australia
Level Contributor
3,625 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rome to Montepulciano by car

From the airport you have autostrada to the ring road around Rome and then the thrill of the autostrada north

https://youtu.be/ZjBU0gZWXh8

I’m with you. Much more sensible to have a quiet train ride where you can get up and stretch before any car rental.

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
156 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rome to Montepulciano by car

Is it a difficult drive until you get onto the autostrada?

CA
Level Contributor
10,303 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rome to Montepulciano by car

Is it a difficult drive until you get onto the autostrada?

No, if you can stay awake.

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
156 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rome to Montepulciano by car

Haha... that could be a concern. But changing trains at Rome termini seems like much more of a hassle then renting a car

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
11,807 posts
561 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rome to Montepulciano by car

You are coming from the East Coast, so not too bad in terms of jetlag and cross eyed state. If you can do it, pick up a car at FCO, make absolutely sure that you have some sort of a GPS device in the car or on your phone, and proceed. You will merely skirt Rome and then onto autostrada. I would skip the train.

Mentioned in this post
Fiumicino Airport
Fiumicino Airport
Fiumicino, Italy
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Europe
Level Contributor
3,190 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rome to Montepulciano by car

> Haha... that could be a concern.

Europe is very safe to drive- safer than the US by many standards. However, rolling of a long-haul flight with jetlag and being sleep deprived and then, after 2 hrs of faffing about the airport dealing with luggage, Immigration and car rental paperwork, stepping into a strange car to drive in strange surroundings for 3 hours is anything but safe.

Fatigue is a major cause of accidents and what you're planning to do significantly increases the chance for yourself, and others, to be killed in a car accident.

Sorry to be blunt about this but this is the truth.

The safe and smart solution is to spend your first night in Rome, using a taxi to get there, and fresh up, look around, get some sleep. Then the following day you'll be fresh and ready for a drive

> But changing trains at Rome termini seems like much more of a hassle then renting a car

Taking a train doesnt come with the risk of accidental death.

> Is it a difficult drive until you get onto the autostrada?

The highway starts right at FCO.

Edited: 12:15 am, June 12, 2018
Mentioned in this post
Europe
Europe
World
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Fiumicino Airport
Fiumicino Airport
Fiumicino, Italy
Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,175 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rome to Montepulciano by car

"Can anyone who has done this drive tell me if it’s easy and mostly highway?"

About 160 of it is on highway, subject to where precisely you are staying in Montepulciano, 20 isn't but even that road from the A1 intersection to the town is pretty good, if a bit windy.

A few random comments of mine. I hate the train, especially with luggage, I'm not keen on Termini station either. I have done the drive getting off a long-haul flight many times but didn't enjoy it and more than once had to pull over and have a short sleep in the car at a service station. Even if I haven't flown in from anywhere, I always stop at Giove for at least one shot of coffee. Don't particularly enjoy doing it in the dark on my own as from 9 pm onwards, it's not unusual to be the only car on the highway heading north, which is rather weird. Hit the road earlier on (between 4.30 - 8) and you can get caught up in Rome commuting traffic, which isn't easy. The best time, I reckon, is a weekday around lunchtime when traffic is lightest. Saturday / Sunday or Italian public holidays traffic can be very heavy indeed all morning with sometimes 2 km long queues to take the ticket at the toll booth at Roma Nord. It helps if there are two of you to share the driving. The Rome ring road (GRA) can be fast and lane discipline non-existent but just take it easy. Always be in the inside lane after junction 7 as your exit (Firenze - Junction 10) comes up at the same time as 8 & 9. I know several visitors who have missed it and had to go on and double-back. It's a very scenic drive with a couple of medieval villages literally overhanging the highway. The countryside too is lovely - at least once you get passed Sette Bagni - you cut through hills and a couple of national parks. There are service stations at regular intervals, I think the longest gap between any is 30 km somewhere in Umbria. Try to avoid buying gas at these at it's expensive. The food is perfectly OK at all the Autogrills or equivalent. When you stop, don't leave anything visible in the car, try and park in a busy part, ideally close to the cafe.

Mentioned in this post
Montepulciano
Montepulciano
Province of Siena, Italy
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Roma Boutique Hotel
Roma Boutique Hotel
652 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Umbria
Umbria
Italy
West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
156 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rome to Montepulciano by car

Thank you. I will be landing at 12 noon. So my driving will be early. I’m not sure how long it takes to get through customs in Rome, as last year when i visited Italy i landed in Venice. I have driven from Florence to Montepulciano before but i wasn’t sure how the ring road in Rome would be. I’m fine once on the autostrada. We are staying at La Locanda di Francesco. Is there gas stations closer to Montepulciano? I notice you say not to stop at the others as they are expensive. Also do you l if hertz is on airport premises. Thank you

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Italy
Italy
Europe
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Montepulciano
Montepulciano
Province of Siena, Italy
La Locanda
La Locanda
564 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,175 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rome to Montepulciano by car

Carrying a non-EU passport, it depends upon what other airlines have come in ahead of you / how many people are in the queue already but sadly it can be a long one. Luggage comes through more quickly nowadays at FCO. Hertz office at FCO in the main multi-storey car park complex opposite. Turn left as you come into the arrivals hall after customs (you'll see a large crowd of meeters and greeters ahead) and take the elevator at the far end (having walked left). There can sometimes be a wait for that too as sometimes not all 3 are operational. Go up to the top level (floor above departures), turn left and take the walk way into the car park. All the hire car companies share an office area on the right. The cheapest gas station around here is in Chianciano new town, it's on the right as you drive this way from Chiusi. There's another competitively priced one at Tre Berte. Be careful as there is a two price system based on self-service (cheaper) and served by a man (sometimes as much as 10% more expensive) but the car will be full when you pick it up and you shouldn't use more than a third of a tank of gas to get up here, even if it's a gas-guzzler.

Mentioned in this post
Fiumicino Airport
Fiumicino Airport
Fiumicino, Italy
Reply to: Rome to Montepulciano by car
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted