We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Licensed Taxi Scammers

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
18 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
Licensed Taxi Scammers

Attempted scammers 3 times on our 5 day Rome trip.

1 - Licensed taxi from the airport queue charged 60 Euros to Pantheon hotel, instead of the maximum set rate 48 Euros. Claimed meter had a greater fare.

2 - Licensed taxi claimed 18 Euro surcharge for picking up from Vatican, also wanted to dump us off "within 1 min. walk" of hotel. Refused to get out until destination, and refused to pay anything higher than the meter.

3 - Licensed taxi pulled over a few blocks after picking up and claimed 18 Euro surcharge from Collossuem. We refused to pay and were kicked out of the taxi.

GOOD ADVICE: Verify with each driver that you will only be paying the meter rate today. When we started doing this, no problems afterwards.

Special Offer
Waking Up the Vatican: VIP...
61 Reviews
from $375.80*
$536.90
Best Seller
Skip the Line: Vatican Museums, St...
24,145 Reviews
from $74.10*
Best Seller
Skip the Line: Ancient Rome and...
12,132 Reviews
from $58.60*
20 replies to this topic
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
44,962 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Licensed Taxi Scammers

Did you get the taxi numbers? They are right inside the car, left passenger door - rather large - easier to photograph or note down. Then, take the time to report them - warning people here that there are some unethical drivers is fine but why not do something that may have more consequence for the actual drivers?

https:/…reclamo_taxi_inglese.pdf - form to file complaint

I have never had an issue with taxis here (Rome) but I always, just in case, just snap a photo with my phone of the taxi number. I always request a receipt (ricevute), also just in case one tries to pull something on me. So far, never had an issues.

Meter has always been turned in when in the city and I think the most I have ever paid for a ride was 14 euros and that was due to unusually heavy traffic on a specific route one time. Average I pay is about 10 euros most places in the city

Always request the meter when using them in the city - Not sure how you got hit with 60 from the airport - I wouldn't have paid it. And, again, would have taken the number and would report it.

Good warning to people

Columbia, South...
Level Contributor
75 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Licensed Taxi Scammers

Ouch 60 from the airport. I've always used a shuttle from the airport. Takes longer, but less change of controversy and heartburn. Last time I went to Rome we got a hotel that was somewhat central in city so we walked everywhere and didn't use a taxi the entire time. Avg'd about 10-11 miles of walking everyday, but we were able to take in Rome better by walking and we burned off the gelatos/wine. Shuttled back to the airport.

glasgow
Level Contributor
1,156 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Licensed Taxi Scammers

I have been coming to Rome for a good few years now,

but on my last visit I had 4 white taxis take me a different route .always to there benefit.

The last one said he got lost hence the 15 euro charge. I said it is 8 or 10 euros and I will pay no more.

He got out of cab and tried to intimidate me

when that did not work he took 10 euros and said sorry ??.

Maybe the are felling the pinch like most of us. And resorting to theft .

Turin
Level Contributor
9,178 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Licensed Taxi Scammers

Fiumicino's taxi charge 60 € if I'm not wrong.

Avoid any roman cab that can't be booked via app (myTaxi or itTaxi); if they don't starve they won't change.

Edited: 12:00 pm, December 04, 2017
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
44,962 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Licensed Taxi Scammers

FCO to Rome (within the walls) has a 48 euro flat taxi fare. If you take a taxi from the official taxi rant right outside the airport doors when you are through with customs, that is what you will pay.

If outside the city walls, the taxi will be on the meter

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
18 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Licensed Taxi Scammers

I avoided the touts and took a taxi from the official queue - and was still scammed !

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
18 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Licensed Taxi Scammers

Nope - It's still 48 to city center from FCO.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
44,962 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Licensed Taxi Scammers

Why did you pay the 60? Just curious - was driver holding your luggage from you until you paid? Why not just give him the legal 48?

Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
12,507 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Licensed Taxi Scammers

…roma.it/PCR/…tariffario_taxi_luglio_2012.pdf

This is from the To and From FCO link under Top Questions:

Have small bills to count out carefully when paying. If possible, snap a quick photo of the tag number on back of the taxi before you get in. Then you have a way to trace them if there are problems.

Note that the fixed price from the airport to central Rome applies only to taxis licensed by the City of Rome; these taxis have the City Council's crest (with "SPQR") painted on the doors. Other taxis, such as those licensed by the Comune of Fiumicino, can charge by their meter. Insist on taking a Roman taxi: they now have the fixed rate to and from the airport (€48) printed on the doors.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
18 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Licensed Taxi Scammers

Dad paid while I was unloading luggage.

Reply to: Licensed Taxi Scammers
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted