We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time in Rome - 3 days - itinerary help

Boston
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Topic
First time in Rome - 3 days - itinerary help

Hello. I've really enjoyed Tripadvisor and the ideas here. I am hoping someone might be able to give us some tips...

We (two sisters 21 and 31) will be in Rome for 3 days next month. We arrive early Sunday morning and plan to leave for Pompei and Amalfi Coast on Wednesday.

Any ideas on how to maximize the time in Rome?

Thanks!!

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
85 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time in Rome - 3 days - itinerary help

Oh, you will have so much fun! I think half the fun of this city is just exploring in general -- don't rush, rush to do everything possible and be overwhelmed -- but you definitely can do a lot of the major sites (Trevi, Spanish Steps, etc) in a day. You may want to reserve a good part of another day for Vatican/St. Pauls. But really -- take your time and go back to Trevi Fountain at night; that is a blast! (I am 32 and single, and I had gone with a Contiki trip, ending in Rome for a couple of days). Shop around Spanish steps (really pricey), Trevi Fountain, and on the street Via del Corso (more toward the north end when it becomes pedestrian only). The areas of Piazza Navona and Campo de Fiori have great bars, etc. at night. Stop and eat or have wine at the cafes. Double check to see what is open on Sundays. I absolutely love Rome!!

Boston
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: First time in Rome - 3 days - itinerary help

KBoogie,

Thanks for the input... you make me very excited for our trip!

I have two hotel reservations (and need to cancel one this week) one is a nicer hotel near the Colosseum and the other is in Piazza Navona area, not as "nice" but seems to be a fun location. Your thoughts?

I plan to hire a guide one day and if we can hit one or two sights each day and then just wander, browse the shops and sit at cafes and soak it all in I think that is a great approach. I like your style.

Did you by any chance get to Capri or SOrrento? Trying to decide where to stay for two nights and two days down there later in the week.

Sorry to bombard you with all this, noone ever answers my posts, and I am just excited to get some good feedback. Thanks again.

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
85 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time in Rome - 3 days - itinerary help

Oh, I totally don't mind -- I am glad I went back to see the other questions! If the Piazza Navona hotel is ok, I'd stay there -- I mean, is there a private bathroom and generally good reviews on tripadvisor?? If so, stay there -- you are not there too much anyway. That is a fun area, and you can definitely walk everywhere from there. This is such a fun city to have a map and just go. Another thing -- there are great guides at a lot of the sites you'll visit -- you can hire them there, then leave them there when you all move on to the wine and people watching -- like at the Colloseum (sp? I suck), there are great guides. I cannot remember if I told you or someone else this -- there are GREAT pub crawls sponsored by the hostels in Rome, so that is fun nighttime touring. Ok, Sorrento and Capri -- absolutely beautiful. HOWEVER, the hotel I stayed in SUCKED (it was through Contiki), so I canot tell ya where to stay. If it is feasible, stay in Capri -- I only spent the day there and I wished I had more time. Hey, if you have questions, you can totally e-mail me kmod73@hotmail.com. I will be on vacation in Cabo for a week, but I will definitely reply when I get back!

Boston
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: First time in Rome - 3 days - itinerary help

Thanks again! Great info and advice. Have a fun time in Cabo!

Ciao! :)

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
2,158 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time in Rome - 3 days - itinerary help

You want to plan your days to accomodate the city museum closures on monday. Make a list of what you really want to see (capitoline museums, borghese gallery, Golden House) and then check schedules.

Durham, North...
Level Contributor
3 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time in Rome - 3 days - itinerary help

Hi! Just got back from Rome two days ago on a 4-day excursion. Rome is way too much for this short of a time, so you'll have to decide what is important for you to see and take the advice of one of the other members and check in advance for opening times, as Monday's are bad for many sites and some have odd times when they are open (such as closed early afternoons).

If you are into museums, you'll be very pressed for time, but if you're just hitting the main sites, you can hit alot in a short period of time.

One company I would recommend is Angel Tours. You can find them by searching on Yahoo for 'Rome Angel Tours' (can't post websites on here). English speaking and very good. Normally smaller tour groups as well, so you can ask questions!

I agree with staying near Piazza Navona, as it is more central to most sites, but you're not that far off either by being near the Colosseum (we stayed here). You can get around very easily using the bus system, but I would recommend you get a bus map to make it easier (we managed but I'm rather good at navigating around big cities myself). Buy a ticket for both of you, but don't validate it when you ride the buses. We never paid for any of our bus rides and although busy, very handy to get around quickly!

Hope this helps.

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
2,158 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time in Rome - 3 days - itinerary help

Strong caution: Do validate your bus tickets! The buses are on an honor system, yes, but they are patrolled regularly and it will do you no good to try and get out of your 100 euro fine each. If caught you have the option of paying in cash on the spot or going to the station to sort it out another way.

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First time in Rome - 3 days - itinerary help

Just to add a quick note to what has been said. Definitely stay in the Piazza Navona/Campo de' Fiori/Pantheon area if possible. The Colosseum is in a perfectly OK area but there is not a lot you can explore on foot from there besides the Forum.

If you did nothing more than wander around the other area on foot, visiting some churches, the Pantheon, the Trevi Fountain and Spanish Steps, and enjoying the bars and cafes and markets and shops and restaurants you'd still have a GREAT time. Nearly every street has something interesting - a baroque church, a fountain, a great little shop - you get the idea.

If you aren't too happy with the hotel, I can very highly recommend the Teatro di Pompeo, in a quiet little piazza very close to the Campo de' Fiori, which is always fun and lively, and less than five minutes from the Piazza Navona. Don't know if it is in your price range nor if they would havce a room available for your dates, but if it works for you I think you will love it.

Have a great time. Rome is wonderful - and you don't have to do all the "must see" things unless that is what you really want to do!

Don't miss the tartuffo at Tre Scalini on the Piazza Navona, or the ice cream at Giolitti near the Pantheon!

Boston
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: First time in Rome - 3 days - itinerary help

IrishRover,

I like your style! "Don't miss the tartuffo at Tre Scalini on the Piazza Navona, or the ice cream at Giolitti near the Pantheon!"

That's crucial info!

Also the tips on where to stay - I looked into your hotel, all booked for our dates. We have a decent one booked so we should be all set. Thanks again!

PS - Any thoughts on Capri??