We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental car drop off in Rome?

Washington
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Rental car drop off in Rome?

Hello Everyone,

I would appreciate any and all advice with this predicament. My original plan was to rent a car in Lucca and spend a week traveling through Tuscany and Umbria ending in Orvieto, at which point I would drop off the rental car and take a train to Rome to spend the next four days.

The problem is there aren't any reputable car rental agencies in Orvieto anymore. (Hertz is a nightmare I have learned from prior posts, Avis left and AutoEurope has no other options. The few other agencies that Google maps show, must be tiny local car rental agency as I have never heard of them and I prefer renting a vehicle from a well known entity.

My predicament is that I will now have to drop off the rental car in Rome, which doesn't excite me, and is especially of concern to my husband who will be our driver. Where I seek advice is where is the easiest place to drop off our car in or around Rome? Would FCO be a better choice than Termini? Better yet, is there an area or town right outside of the city that I could drop off a car? If Termini is the suggested option, how difficult is it get to Termini for first time Rome drivers?

And why we are on the topic of driving, everyone warns of ZTL and I feel I am missing something. In my mind, I just thought that you do your best to avoid entering into those areas, and if by chance you mistakenly enter a ZTL area, than you quickly exit and all is good. I am now starting to think that that is not how it works. Is the problem that if the above scenario happens, there is a camera that will catch you and you automatically get a ticket regardless if you entered the ZTL zone for a second by mistake? Are there other issues with ZTL's that I am missing???

Thank you in advance for your input. I can't express enough how much it helps to receive guidance from people that know the area. I am very grateful to anyone who responds.

Warmly,

Monique

Special Offer
Waking Up the Vatican: VIP...
61 Reviews
from $375.80*
$536.90
Best Seller
Skip the Line: Vatican Museums, St...
24,145 Reviews
from $74.10*
Best Seller
Skip the Line: Ancient Rome and...
12,132 Reviews
from $58.60*
24 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
97,072 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rental car drop off in Rome?

You can drop at either FCO or Termini, depending on how confident you feel about driving in the heavy traffic of Rome. I choose to drop at FCO, but others have no problem with Termini.

If you enter a ZTL that is camera-controlled, you will get a ticket. Even if you turn round and leave immediately. However, the idea of ZTLs is to keep vehicles out of the historic centres, so they are all clearly signed. The problem is that the sign is not one used in the USA. Once you know what the sign looks like, it is no more of a problem than "No entry" or "No left turn" signs. See driventoit.blogspot.com.au

Not every ZTL is controlled by cameras.

West Haven, CT
Level Contributor
78 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rental car drop off in Rome?

FWIW: We picked-up our rental car from the Hertz office in Orvieto a couple years ago and had NO PROBLEMS at all. They didn't even try to "hard-sell" us on extra insurance.

I hold no brief for Hertz (I've only used them a couple times - and just in Italy) but, from a statistical point of view - you're more like to have a problem driving in Rome than with the Hertz office in Orvieto.

Hertz rents A LOT of cars - and while there are some volume of complaints, I'd look a lot closer at them before I'd subject my family to driving in Rome.

PS: The train is a quick hop to Termini.

Bay Village, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,300 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rental car drop off in Rome?

We returned our rental car to the Avis floor at the Termini parking garage last Saturday. It was much easier than we were anticipating. I received detailed directions here and on the Slow Europe Forum. Between those directions and the maps app on our iPhones, my husband and I thought it was fairly straightforward. If you decide you want to return a car to Termini, message me and I will give you the directions.

Level Contributor
150 posts
1,294 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rental car drop off in Rome?

First go to a Web page that shows international driving signs or make a copy. A few are hard to remember but you get by. Hertz at fumacino is easy to drop off an get a train back to Rome. I would suggest dropping it off take the train back to trastevere and stay there.its just a short 10 minute tram ride to all attractions. You will have to get some sort of insurance on the car. Also buy a Garmin $138 and get the Europe maps and it's easy to get around

Bay Village, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,300 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rental car drop off in Rome?

International driving signs will be easy for the OP to recognize...it is the signs peculiar to Italy that one should become familiar with, especially the parking signs.

The "maps" one needs for Garmin is the chip for Italy/Greece, not Europe.. But in the 18 years we have been driving in Italy, we have never found Garmin to be as accurate as the maps app on your phone. We use both, but have finally mostly given up on the Garmin and trust the maps app instead.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,363 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rental car drop off in Rome?

"Picking up at Orvieto..no problem at all" Jim Gunther. This is true. Since they are an independent licensee they don't get a cut of the insurance. Dropping off...that's another problem. Then the scams begin to make up for the money they didn't get when you picked the car up. Always stick with a Hertz owned rental place. They are more expensive, but there are no scams at the end either. The type of outlet will be stated on their webpage for Italy. Hertz is very good in ITALY. Very bad in most other EU countries (especially Portugal, where Hertz only rents out their name, and you get very bad cars.)

Coto de Caza...
Destination Expert
for Amalfi Coast
Level Contributor
3,031 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rental car drop off in Rome?

I've rented from Hertz many times in several locations and never had a problem. Have always used a "Corporate" location type noted on the Hertz website. Most recently, I picked up after landing at Florence airport and planned to return there a few days later. For the return, since we were in Val d'Orcia, rather than driving back to Florence, we decided to try dropping off at Chiusi. The agent at the Chiusi corporate location accepted the return with no question and no problem. We even saved a few euro on the airport location fee but returning to a non-airport location. We then jumped on a train from there to Florence.

For your Rome return, why not choose a return location near but not smack in the center? Having rented from the Termini station location and found it easy, I would do that again without hesitation. Just a bit farther out of the center and nearer the highway is the location at Viale Regina Margherita, 208.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
60,722 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rental car drop off in Rome?

If your intention is to return at Orvieto, then there is nothing to worry about regarding Hertz service there, or at Rome, etc. I wouldn't worry about it.

ZTL zones are typically camera-enforced only in larger cities. Smaller hill towns and villages (such as Orvieto, but the rental company isn't up there) don't have cameras. Still, you should avoid ZTL at all costs. Any infraction is going to end up costing you 100+ Euros for each offense.

@pnaj: The airport/train station location fee is always assessed at point of pick-up. The return location doesn't figure. That's been my experience when picking up cars in Italy.

Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
12,507 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rental car drop off in Rome?

In addition to the link in Post #1, here's another regarding driving/parking in Italy:

https:/…Driving.In.Italy.html

You can get your Int'l Driving Permit at your local AAA ($20 or so), you don't have to be a member. The IDP is required by Italian law, it translates the fact your USA license is valid.

aci.it/laci/driving-in-italy/driving-in-ital…

Coto de Caza...
Destination Expert
for Amalfi Coast
Level Contributor
3,031 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rental car drop off in Rome?

@sammyfloyd: the fee shown on the document issued at pickup was twice what was shown on the final document at return. Go figure.

Reply to: Rental car drop off in Rome?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted