We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Navona

California
Level Contributor
1,519 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Navona

Hello. I'm starting some very early planning for a trip to Italy in the spring of 2019. Looking at different neighborhoods to stay, I'm leaning towards Navona. It seems perfect, we want something very walkable to all the major tourist sites, but with a neighborhood feel and some good local restaurants. My only hesitation is that the hotels I've been looking at in that area don't seem to be very close to any train stations, and I thought it was kind of a must to stay near a train station in Rome so that one could get from place to place easily if not walking. Any thoughts on this? Also, I don't speak Italian but I'm trying to learn some polite Italian phrases, and I'm confused about when to use prega and when to use por favore. They seem interchangeable, are they? Thanks very much for the replies.

1. Re: Navona

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11:35 am, September 18, 2017
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
44,962 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Navona

No, prego and per favore are not really interchangeable - look at their usage a bit more to understand but no one is going to be bothered if you get it not quite right. The fact that you have the courtesy to say some of the basic courtesy phrases in Italian goes a long way. If they speak English (which most people in the service industry will speak some to very good English), they will probably answer you in English anyway as it just moves things along quicker -

Do you mean metro stations? There is no metro to much of the heart of the center of the city and you don't need it - walking is the way to see much of Rome and when you don't want to walk, you can take buses or trams and the metro to the places it does go -

Your guidebook on the city likely has a map in it and explains the public transportation -

Anywhere in the center of city has what you say you want, not just near Piazza Navona -

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
6,642 posts
729 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Navona

Unless you are going to do multiple train trips out of Rome, I don't see why you would need to be near a train station. If you are referring to the metro system, it does not have a stop near Piazza Navona. While I find metro helpful (I am at the Spanish Steps), metro does not go everywhere and Rome has a pretty good bus system. And, there are taxis to take you here and there as needed. Much of the historic center is walkable -- and quite frankly, that's the best way to get around.

Turin
Level Contributor
9,177 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Navona

Prego means "You are welcome", Per favore means "Please". They can be seen as interchangeable only if you're inviting somebody to enter some place either before you or with your permission.

I'm afraid you misunderstood the metro (aka the subway) with the train stations, but both the Metro and the local ralways cover only a small % of the city center.

California
Level Contributor
1,519 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Navona

Thanks for the responses. So sorry for the multiple posts, it kept saying my post failed so I kept trying, but apparently they all went through. I only see two, perhaps someone else deleted the rest.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
4,053 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Navona

Navona is a good central area, one that many people choose. If you can walk 20 minutes at a time, you will be able to see a great deal of the historic center that lies in different directions from there. If it's farther and you prefer, you can take a bus or taxi as said above.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
997 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Navona

Try downloading and listening to the Coffee Break Italian podcast. Really fun way to learn/become familiar with the language!

United States
Level Contributor
625 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Navona

For learning basic Italian, I highly recommend Duolingo (https://www.duolingo.com/) and Memrise (https://www.memrise.com/login/?next=/home/). Both programs are free.

Florida
Level Contributor
926 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Navona

I always stay in the Piazza Navona area. Very centrally located and from here you can walk most of Rome. I have never used the metro and have only used taxis for going to or from the train station. The historical district in itself is not very big. 20-25 mins to Vatican City, 10-15 mins to Trevi, 25 mins to Spanish Steps, 40-45 min to Colosseum and sooo much to see along the way!! Enjoy!

10. Re: Navona

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, September 20, 2018