We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel vs B&B??

San Diego
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Hotel vs B&B??

I was just wondering what the difference is between B7B's and hotels in Roma? Differences in costs, services, etc? Any advice and reccomendations would be helpful. Anything up to about 200 euros. Thanks

Special Offer
Waking Up the Vatican: VIP...
59 Reviews
from $373.70*
$533.80
Best Seller
Skip the Line: Vatican Museums, St...
24,130 Reviews
from $73.70*
Best Seller
Skip the Line: Ancient Rome and...
12,128 Reviews
from $58.30*
Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
365 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel vs B&B??

b and bs pay less taxes and are generally smaller in size than hotels. often bed and breakfasts in italy are called guest houses. hotels by law are required to have larger public spaces i.e. reception, lobby, breakfast room and must have someone manning the front desk 24 hours. guest houses or bandbs dont need to have a porter on the desk which means that often you can come and go as you please! one such guest house in rome is the arena house www.arenaguesthouse.com - a similarly priced hotel is the hotel montecarlo www.hotelmontecarlorome.com. have a look at the services and facilities offered by both and you can see the difference.

Clinton Township...
Level Contributor
90 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel vs B&B??

some of the "unhosted" B and B's are just like renting your own apartment for the week. You come and go as you please, have a kitchen, and often more bedrooms. You have to do a little more work yourself (they often don't clean and make the bed every night, though they have always been very clean and had lots of towels, bedding etc.) Having a kitchen also allows you to buy some supplies. You can get pop and snacks etc. from a local shop and pay much less than buying thoes things out. If your trying to save money you can even cook some meals in (the places usually have pot, dishes, etc.). Its less service but more independence.

Some of the other B and B's are more like little hotels. You have a room and they serve breakfast in the morning. If you want advice on locations to visit or places to eat, they can be very helpful and friendly. If you want services like acquiring tickets or arranging for transportation or tours, your better at a hotel.

For 4 people, I found the prices comperable or a little cheaper in a B and B for a 3 or 4 day stay,and a bit cheaper at the B and B for a full week stay, on average. You can check www.romebandb.com for some b and b's in rome. I've used them and have been very happy.

My preference between hotels and B ans B's varies depending on what I feel like doing on the visit, price, and location.

Clinton Township...
Level Contributor
90 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel vs B&B??

Another common difference between the two is that B and B's usually require payment in full when you get there (at the begining of your stay), while at hotels you usual pay when you check out (at the end of your stay). Hotel s accept credit cards, but you'd have to check on the b and b's: some take cash or checks/ transfers ahead of time only.