We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tour guides for Pompeii

Auckland, New...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Tour guides for Pompeii

We are travelling to Pompeii ex Naples in August 2014. We have booked a tour without a guide. Can we get a guide once we are there? Are you lost without a guide? Anyway of avoiding queues to purchase tickets for entry if your tour does not do it for you?

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
33,405 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tour guides for Pompeii

You can join a group guided tour for 10 euro

www.pompeiisites.org

Trains Naples lower basement station to Pompeii www.eavcampania.it

Brentwood, United...
Level Contributor
2,611 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tour guides for Pompeii

Make sure you join an official guide outside the Ticket Office at the site. Ignore all touts on the way there from the station !

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
41 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tour guides for Pompeii

Hi, we made our own way by train to Pompeii from Rome. As soon as the train arrived at the Pompeii station there was someone shouting out "English speaking tour leaving in 5 minutes". They had an office there and it cost 12 Euros each. We debated whether to do this or wait to see if it was going to be cheaper down at the gates (as we had no idea). We did do it and was glad as there were no other guides at the gate! It was a 2 hour tour. It was certainly worth having a guide to show and tell you what you were looking at. You could stay longer at the end of the tour -which we did and found ourselves wandering around for another 2 hours (even though we didn't know what we were really looking at). Another way to see Pompeii, would be to download a Rick Steves App on Pompeii and follow that. My nephew downloaded one for us on the ipod, but I've only just listened to it since returning home- and we saw just about everything Rick Steves talked about. Pompeii is pretty surreal.

Auckland, New...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tour guides for Pompeii

Thanks everyone, very helpful.

Seville, Spain
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Tour guides for Pompeii

I recommended you a app for iPad

"Pompeii interactive tour"

- 3D Scenes

- Photorealistic

- Audio description

Enjoy!

Pompeii, Italy
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Tour guides for Pompeii

hello friends!! Already you visited Pompeii??

Ohio
Level Contributor
300 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tour guides for Pompeii

We just returned from Sorrento and did the same tour last week . We didn't really like the tour company and thought there were too many people in the tour group and we couldn't hear the guide very well. We do agree that a tour is needed in order to enjoy the ruins .

Can anyone tell me the name of the tour group right by the train station?

I wanted to doa TA review.

8. Re: Tour guides for Pompeii

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, August 27, 2015