We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pompeii to Sorrento

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
59 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Pompeii to Sorrento

We are seeing Pompeii on Friday and then heading straight down to Sorrento. Our plan was to take the train back to Naples and then the local train down to Sorrento. But I have heard things about this trip that make me a little wary. No place for luggage in train (we are travelling with 2 large cases). Can be very crowded, goes through all the bad suburbs of Naples, pickpockets etc.

Can anyone suggest an alternative way or ease my mind to the nature of this trip.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
87,474 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pompeii to Sorrento

There is no need to take a train from Pompeii to Naples. The Circumvesuviana train from Naples to Sorrento has Pompei Scavi station about 100 metres from one of the Pompeii site entrances.

The Circumvesuviana is a commuter train, with carriages a bit like the Melbourne suburban system. You need to keep your luggage close to you and be alert for pickpockets, but you will not be in any danger of physical attack.

We are in our 60s and have travelled from Naples to Sorrento on this line, with luggage and without incident.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
59 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pompeii to Sorrento

Thank you so much for just giving us a bit more confidence in this trip. We will continue with this plan knowing that we do not go back through Naples. We are loving the Train travel in Italy as we have not previously done any (except Vietnam and I would never do that again).

Manchester
Level Contributor
780 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pompeii to Sorrento

The Circumvesuviana trains are narrow gauge (so small) and scruffy, but actually do have space for luggage which we did not spot until a local used it. You can store anything up to a medium size suitcase in the space between and underneath the back to back seats - and there will be no rush to retrieve them because Sorrento is the end of the line.

4. Re: Pompeii to Sorrento

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:23 am, October 27, 2014