We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pickpockets in Pompeii

Which Pompeii hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Crete
Level Contributor
470 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Pickpockets in Pompeii

I've heard from friends who visited Pompeii last June that the area of the ruins has many pickpockets. I'm due to go with another friend this June & would like to know how much of a problem this is, especially as we are two females traveling without our husbands.

We're both used to traveling & take the usual precautions e.g leaving passports & credit cards in the hotel safe & only taking out the money for the day etc. My friends told me "they'll have your watch & the rings off your fingers". Were they being paranoid, or is it really that bad? We'd really like to know & any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks very much

Jackie

Maryland
Level Contributor
1,428 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pickpockets in Pompeii

Where ever there is a crowd regardless of the city, town, site or country there are bound to be pickpockets as you may know already. As you mentioned be cautious, and not paranoid so you can enjoy your visit. We felt safe visiting Pompeii. Just take extra precaution on the train and everywhere and you will be good.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pickpockets in Pompeii

Jackie - you've spelt it out nicely, "We're both used to traveling & take the usual precautions e.g leaving passports & credit cards in the hotel safe & only taking out the money for the day etc."

I'd just add to leave the tiara at home!

Can't believe it was so long ago that you were asking about this trip - nice of your friends to now rain on the parade?

Peter

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,737 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Pickpockets in Pompeii

I'm always curious when I read statements like the ones made to you by your friends. Did they actually witness multiple situations in which people's items were ripped off them and, if so, did they yell out to warn the victims of all these pickpockets? I have been to Italy more than 20 times and I have never witnessed an attempt; I am NOT saying, pickpockets do not exist. Of course, they do but such warnings leave me scratching my head. If I saw such an action happening - or, especially so many based on the statement - I'd start yelling to warn people. Or, is their warning all about anecdotal reports from others?

Regular common sense precautions - as anywhere - are your best weapons against becoming a victim. Personally, I never take any jewelery that is worth anything but mostly because I worry I will take it off to sleep and forget it (has happened once and I learned the hard way). But, why take something you don't want to lose or possibly have stolen? I keep it to inexpensive (but cute/pretty!) costume jewelry when traveling. Here, there or anywhere.

Enjoy your trip and don't worry about this stuff too much. Two females in Italy is not an unsafe condition....

Edited: 11:31 am, March 18, 2013
Crete
Level Contributor
470 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pickpockets in Pompeii

Peter & MomCat, thanks to you both for this, which has definitely put my mind at rest!

It's at least twenty five years since I was in Italy, so it will be interesting to see how things have changed.

Peter, I remember how helpful you were with my original queries last year. It's taken a long time for us to finally get the trip set up because we can only fly direct from Athens to Naples in June, July or August . Also, living here in Crete we tend to get lots of visitors from the UK (I'm sure you do too!) & have to work around them.

MomCat, can I ask? How many cats do you have? I have 8 house cats & 3 outside ones: can you beat that?

Anyway, thanks again to both of you.

Jackie

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,737 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Pickpockets in Pompeii

None. I lost my wonderful, furry friend a number of years ago who made it to 17 years old and am not someone who loves cats in general - I do like them but I have had two in my life (at different times) and I just loved both of them and chose not to get another one, for various reasons. It is how I used to refer to myself with the little (well, not so little) fellow. 1992 was the year he was born.

As to Pompei, I think how you deal with the heat will be just as important as to how you keep your possessions safe. No shade, hot/humid - so water, sunscreen and a hat if you can - it can be blazing hot in the full sun. Early in the day is a good time to go.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pickpockets in Pompeii

Mind at rest, but brain in gear!

Although much quieter than Naples itself, Pompei attracts many hundred of thousands of cruise passengers - who just don't seem get the message about leaving their goodies at home, or even on the blessed ship - and like flies round a honey-pot...

Peter

PS: And as you're getting egg-sucking lessons...... whilst I can't remember what happened in Greece, here you're meant to keep your passport with you - so do carry along at least a photocopy and details of where you're staying!

7. Re: Pickpockets in Pompeii

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, March 20, 2014